What are you drinking?

Guest alex

To my horror Pilsner Urquell has been replaced on draught with Ratsherrin (which is spectacularly rubbish) at my local. Petition has begun!!

Even the beers are genderqueer nowadays.

To my horror Pilsner Urquell has been replaced on draught with Ratsherrin (which is spectacularly rubbish) at my local. Petition has begun!!

Any relation to Ned?

Had a couple of tots of this last night:

rum_pus1.jpg

Lovely stuff

You drink it neat? I see the gunpowder proof on offer for £25.

I like dark Caribbean rum but need a splash of coke and lime juice with it. That label reminds me of Lamb's rum which was horrible stuff (obviously they're both navy rums).

You drink it neat? I see the gunpowder proof on offer for £25.

I like dark Caribbean rum but need a splash of coke and lime juice with it. That label reminds me of Lamb's rum which was horrible stuff (obviously they're both navy rums).

Funnily enough I've just bought a bottle of the Gunpowder Proof as I saw it was their deal of the day. And aye, I would definitely drink the above neat. I would drink the Gunpowder proof neat too but it obviously has a bit more 'oomf' with the extra ABV. The 40% Blue Label replaced the old one (which has now been rebranded as the Gunpowder Proof). According to Pusser's they wanted to bring out a 40% one as 40% is the strongest rum that can be drunk by the Navy (as per their regulations). So, until the rebrand, their 'Navy rum' was banned by the British Navy. The Blue Label and the Gunpowder Proof are actually both the same blend, just with the former watered down to 40%. To be honest, it's got very little in common with Lamb's (bar the geographical link and the claim to be 'Navy Rum'). I don't think Lamb's is the worst as a mixer, certainly better than Captain Morgan's, but I could name loads of rums which are far better value than it (and a lot nicer). Even in the 'navy' style Pusser's Blue Label and Wood's are much nicer and available for just a little bit more money. But it's great value at £25 for the Gunpowder one. If you don't like, send it over to me ;)

Edit: Btw, I didn't mean that I would only drink it neat. It makes a very nice rum and coke too, although again it seems a bit of waste and there's loads of good products around the £15 - £20 mark that are great mixers too - Chairman's Reserve, Appleton's Signature Blend, Cockspur's (2 for £20 at Tesco atm), Sainsbury's taste the difference 8 y.o rum etc.

Edited by Alex

Normally have it with Coke and Lime like Ewok. Increases the drinkabiltiy to the level that you're pissed before you realise it and suddenly good at pool. :D

mountgay.jpg

Edited by Park Life

It's canny amazing that you two seem to have come up with the concept of rum and coke with a squeeze of lime like. Never heard of it before.

It's canny amazing that you two seem to have come up with the concept of rum and coke with a squeeze of lime like. Never heard of it before.

You live and learn innit. :D

Had some really smooth stuff in Sardinia last summer no idea what it was.....Should have asked for the bottle. :lol:

I don't know much about the rums that I drink but generally it's the likes of Mount Gay, Appleton, Pyrat, Brugal, Havana Club etc. 

Might give the Pusser's a go if it's in a similar style. Not keen on the likes of Bacardi, Captian Morgans or Kraken. I'm guessing they're more spiced.

I don't know much about the rums that I drink but generally it's the likes of Mount Gay, Appleton, Pyrat, Brugal, Havana Club etc. 

Might give the Pusser's a go if it's in a similar style. Not keen on the likes of Bacardi, Captian Morgans or Kraken. I'm guessing they're more spiced.

The ones in bold are all different styles though :D

Well, I guess Brugal and Havana Club are similar 'rons'. But give it go, it's different class to Captain Morgan's dark rum. Bacardi and Captain Morgan both do spiced rum but they're not really my cup of tea. Used to like Kraken years ago but can't get away with it now (it's a spiced rum) - too sweet. Bacardi do all sorts. Their white rum is the most common but it's stricly a mixer. It's basically the rum equivalent of Smirnoff. Their 8 year old is nice (probably on a par with something like the Havana Club 7, but the Havana Club is cheaper and much more widely available).

Styles basically break down something like this:

White rum: Bacardi Superior, Havana Club 3 etc. Wray and Nephew* - these are mixers

Barbados Rum: Smooth, golden rum. Brands like Cockspur and Mount Gay Eclipse. The more you pay the smoother they are but they're generally made to be smooth. More expensive varieties are Doorley's XO (very nice, tried it at the Whisky Festival), Mount Gay Black Barrel and XO. Rums from Barbados don't have any additives allowed (bar colouring) so you're getting 'pure rum'.

Cuban / Puerto Rican: The golden rums here don't additives either generally (bar the spiced varieties). Again, the more you pay the more of a 'sipper' you'll get. Not tried loads but Bacardi 8 / Havana Club 7 are nice. Tend to have a bit of a tabacco taste to them which some people like, some don't (I do).

Jamaican Rum: Only really had Appleton Estate and Mezan XO Jamaican. Tend to be spicier (not 'spiced' / sweetened though) or 'funkier'. This is because they are pot stilled rather than column stilled so you get a more intense flavour compared to the smoother Bajan style, for example.

Navy Rums: Get Lamb's calling itself this but 'proper' ones are stilled in greenheart stills, which is tropical hardwood, as opposed to copper, so you get a strong flvaour from that - see Pusser's* or Wood's*.

Demerara rums: come from Guyana. The most common you'll find are El Dorado. The 8 y.o. is dry in style but the older ones have added sugar and are markedly sweeter. They're still very nice though. If you like Pyrat, these have similar levels of sweetness but are more 'true rums' if you like.

Premium rums: Pyrat and stuff like Diplomatico exclusivo. These have created controversy because they're often rums which perhaps weren't that great but had loads of sugar added to make them smooth 'sippers'. In any case they taste very nice but in the case of Pyrat, they're a rip off imo since it's also had orange essence added so you're essentially paying a fortune for a rum rather than cognac-based Gran Marnier / similar.

There's also Rhum Agricole which I know very little about but comes from the French Carribean.

Then there's all the different spiced rums and basically anywhere that grows sugar seems to have a go at it.

*These rums are also 'overproof', i.e. 54.5% or stronger

tl/dr: get a bottle of Pusser's, it's fucking lush

I do love a drop of Plantation rum

It's not a type, it's a company that produces lots of styles from different countries.

And ewerk, just to muddy the waters a bit more, loads of rums are blends from different carribean countries as opposed to one distinct style or place.

Right, I've the Pusser's ordered.

I generally don't drink spirits at home and the selection in the local bars is abysmal. It was much simpler when I first started drinking rum in Barbados and your options when you went to the bar were either a half bottle of Eclipse or a half bottle of XO and a 500ml bottle of coke to taste.

Old recipe Sailor Jerry was the shit. I get the feeling Alex will disapprove though

I've had it ages ago with coke but couldn't really recall what it was like tbh. Not really into spiced rum as I tend to find it too sweet. I've seen lots of good reviews for the Pusser's spiced version though. Apparently it's not as sweet as the likes of Captain Morgan and it's also supposed to contain more Carribean type spices rather than being really vanilla-heavy like most of the other ones. I haven't tried it though, it's just what I've read about it. I got a bottle of Four Square spiced rum when my Mam and Dad went to Barbados a few years back and that was nice. You can get both of those on Amazon I think.

Captain Morgan's doesn't even taste of rum, it might as well be any neutral spirit flavoured with shit loads of vanilla because that's all there flavour is in it.

Not my cup of char, but to each their own and all that. I used to like it with coke ages ago though. I think your tastebuds definitely change a bit as you get older like.

Not my cup of char, but to each their own and all that. I used to like it with coke ages ago though. I think your tastebuds definitely change a bit as you get older like.

You're all fukin sophisticated now innit.