What are you drinking?

Guest alex

12 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

That has a nice wheat beer look to it. Nice and cloudy. Looks to good to have come from a can.

A can is actually the best method of storage for a beer because it's completely airtight and it keeps out any light. There's a myth that's been perpetuated that the can taints the taste but this is because, if you drink it directly from the can, you can slightly smell the metallic aroma, which in turn effects your perception of taste. I.e. drink it out of a glass then it's not an issue.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

A can is actually the best method of storage for a beer because it's completely airtight and it keeps out any light. There's a myth that's been perpetuated that the can taints the taste but this is because, if you drink it directly from the can, you can slightly smell the metallic aroma, which in turn effects your perception of taste. I.e. drink it out of a glass then it's not an issue.

Thats interesting. I’ve never bought a can for years partly due to those sort of beliefs and partly because real ale or wheat beers were always in bottles. 

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Thats interesting. I’ve never bought a can for years partly due to those sort of beliefs and partly because real ale or wheat beers were always in bottles. 

Aye, it's worth knowing for that reason, I wasn't just trying to be a smart arse (for a change). You'll notice a lot of 'craft breweries' now use cans. It's also more cost effective because they're lighter / easier to transport but they wouldn't do it if it had a negative effect on quality because the micro / craft breweries only have an advantage over the big boys by providing a better quality product. But the perception remains, which is why many still use bottles (and of course they'll have bottling facilities in place so it would be an expensive risk to replace all that). It's a bit like wine where a screw cap is better than a wooden or synthetic cork but people see the latter as being more 'high end'. One thing you could do it try it out as stuff like Brew Dog (or even a half decent lager like Beck's) is available in both cans and bottles. If you did a genuine 'blind taste' then I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the bottled one and the one out of a can. Except the older it was the more the one in the bottle would deteriorate.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, it's worth knowing for that reason, I wasn't just trying to be a smart arse (for a change). You'll notice a lot of 'craft breweries' now use cans. It's also more cost effective because they're lighter / easier to transport but they wouldn't do it if it had a negative effect on quality because the micro / craft breweries only have an advantage over the big boys by providing a better quality product. But the perception remains, which is why many still use bottles (and of course they'll have bottling facilities in place so it would be an expensive risk to replace all that). It's a bit like wine where a screw cap is better than a wooden or synthetic cork but people see the latter as being more 'high end'. One thing you could do it try it out as stuff like Brew Dog (or even a half decent lager like Beck's) is available in both cans and bottles. If you did a genuine 'blind taste' then I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the bottled one and the one out of a can. Except the older it was the more the one in the bottle would deteriorate.

Yeah, just been having a quick read about it.(Not that I doubted you). I’ll definitely give a few a try, but I do find craft beers very hit and miss. I remember going to brew dog when it first opened and the pint I got tasted like armpit sweat.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

Yeah, just been having a quick read about it.(Not that I doubted you). I’ll definitely give a few a try, but I do find craft beers very hit and miss. I remember going to brew dog when it first opened and the pint I got tasted like armpit sweat.

Actually I find that with Brew Dog I prefer their canned / bottled stuff anyway. I find their stuff on tap too flat. I'm not a massive one for beer these days anyway mind. Was just a general heads up about not ignoring canned beer because of concerns about quality

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

On a related note, CT, are you still digging up old cans, or has that been “retired”? 

Just sold it last Friday sadly. Last out about a month ago and was off work a week with shoulder pain. X-rays since have confirmed a degenerating shoulder joint so swinging a detectors a no no.

Spent the last few days desperately trying to come up with a new hobby but struggling. Very tempted to give home brewing another go and go down the grain and hops route but still badly scarred from my last home brewing disaster.

Even if I produce a quality product, there’s still no guarantee that I will like the taste.

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

If it was the one in Newcastle the whole place stinks of damp. Or it did do. Not been in for ages. Mostly because of the smell...

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Just sold it last Friday sadly. Last out about a month ago and was off work a week with shoulder pain. X-rays since have confirmed a degenerating shoulder joint so swinging a detectors a no no.

Spent the last few days desperately trying to come up with a new hobby but struggling. Very tempted to give home brewing another go and go down the grain and hops route but still badly scarred from my last home brewing disaster.

Even if I produce a quality product, there’s still no guarantee that I will like the taste.

Everybody over the age of 40 has degenerating shoulder joints, change hands you lazy fuck.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's a bit like wine where a screw cap is better than a wooden or synthetic cork but people see the latter as being more 'high end'. 

I was talking to someone who works in the wine industry about this the other day regarding wines changing/maturing with time.

With a cork because it breathes older wines will change colour, nose and palete.

But now the first of the decent screw top wines are reaching the 15-20 years of age, they are finding there is less change to the wine, they are staying young longer.

Just now, sammynb said:

I was talking to someone who works in the wine industry about this the other day regarding wines changing/maturing with time.

With a cork because it breathes older wines will change colour, nose and palete.

But now the first of the decent screw top wines are reaching the 15-20 years of age, they are finding there is less change to the wine, they are staying young longer.

I was saying it more with the majority of wines in mind, most of which are meant to be drunk when young (even if they have a cork stoppage). Even a screw cap will allow for some evaporation though. If you ever see old (unopened) bottles of spirits for sale online you'll note a lot have lost about 10% or more due to it. Spirits would be more prone to evaporation too though I think.

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

CT. Confirmed degenerate. :D

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Spent the last few days desperately trying to come up with a new hobby but struggling.

I’d suggest Mushroom picking, but that’s probably what fucked your shoulder in the first place. :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I was saying it more with the majority of wines in mind, most of which are meant to be drunk when young (even if they have a cork stoppage). Even a screw cap will allow for some evaporation though. If you ever see old (unopened) bottles of spirits for sale online you'll note a lot have lost about 10% or more due to it. Spirits would be more prone to evaporation too though I think.

Yeah, true and that is obviously being reflected in the way wines are being made now. But not 15 years ago when they first started using screw tops.

Alex we've got this great place we go and they have an amazing wine list where the owner has bought and cellared wines for the last 30 plus years.

Last time we were there we had something from 1998 with a cork and then the owner decided to share a screw top from 2002, both from SA, both similar blends and price but it was a real eye opener to how much younger the screw top wine was.

The owner also mentioned because of this people aren't buying/drinking the older screw top wines

Most decent spirits use corks as well, so that wouldn't help with evaporation.

Talking about whisky, did I read correctly that Blair Athol is no longer being released as part of Diageo's Flora and Fauna range?

4 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Yeah, true and that is obviously being reflected in the way wines are being made now. But not 15 years ago when they first started using screw tops.

Alex we've got this great place we go and they have an amazing wine list where the owner has bought and cellared wines for the last 30 plus years.

Last time we were there we had something from 1998 with a cork and then the owner decided to share a screw top from 2002, both from SA, both similar blends and price but it was a real eye opener to how much younger the screw top wine was.

The owner also mentioned because of this people aren't buying/drinking the older screw top wines

Most decent spirits use corks as well, so that wouldn't help with evaporation.

Talking about whisky, did I read correctly that Blair Athol is no longer being released as part of Diageo's Flora and Fauna range?

That place looks amazing. Re: Blair Athol, I'm not sure but it's still widely available in the F&F Range. I know some of the Flora and Fauna range were discontinued because some of the distilleries had been sold but Diageo still own Blair Athol and there's no chance of them selling it because it forms such an important component in Bell's which, whatever you think of it, is still easily one of the best selling Scotch whiskies worldwide.

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Re: Blair Athol, I'm not sure but it's still widely available in the F&F Range. I know some of the Flora and Fauna range were discontinued because some of the distilleries had been sold but Diageo still own Blair Athol and there's no chance of them selling it because it forms such an important component in Bell's which, whatever you think of it, is still easily one of the best selling Scotch whiskies worldwide.

Mmm, what's this mean then?

Blair Athol 12 yr old, is now a discontinued distillery bottling from Diageo’s Flora & Fauna series.

I seen that on a couple of different sites now? As I think I've mentioned before it's like rocking horse shite here in the antipodes but I recently found some so bought a bottle, now I just have to be able to drink it!!!