What are you drinking?

Guest alex

I had some of this in Bruges thanks to Matt. Possibly the nicest beer I've ever tasted.

7195134340_9598ec8415_z.jpg

Blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambics.

A true Geuze - a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year-old lambic, unfiltered and unpasteurized, and aged in the bottle for at least a year after blending. Refermentation in the bottle gives this Geuze its famous champagne-like spritziness. The lambic that goes into it is brewed only with 60% barley malt, 40% unmalted wheat, aged hops, and water, spontaneously fermented by wild yeasts, and matured in oak casks.

Edited by Tooj

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't you a Bailey's man (if that's not an oxymoron)? You could opt for the far superior (and fairly basic) Brandy Alexander instead. Most of the nicer cocktails are pretty basic anyway. And you don't need to buy a shaker if you haven't got one, a wide-necked flask will do. Don't buy the pre-mixed ones though. Or I wouldn't bother. And don't buy cheap spirits or again you might as well not bother. In fact, if I was you, I wouldn't bother ;)

Edited by Alex

Aren't you a Bailey's man (if that's not an oxymoron)? You could opt for the far superior (and fairly basic) Brandy Alexander instead. Most of the nicer cocktails are pretty basic anyway. And you don't need to buy a shaker if you haven't got one, a wide-necked flask will do. Don't buy the pre-mixed ones though. Or I wouldn't bother. And don't buy cheap spirits or again you might as well not bother. In fact, if I was you, I wouldn't bother ;)

:lol:

Keep throwing half full bottles of Baileys out. Very rare I have a nip and if I do, I'm quite partial to a nice sherry.

However all the family (apart from the under 10's) like cocktails and we all like different ones.

No idea on spelling but...

Woo woos

Mai tai (me)

Sex on the beach

Mohitos

Being given a cocktail shaker and getting a cocktail recipe book for my birthday on Friday (www.justgiving.co/christmas tree )

So just need the ingredients and a new water filter for the fridge.

These seem to be the main ingredients I can see.

Limes , Lemons, Fresh mint

Soda water

White rum

Angostura bitters

Orgeat syrup

Triple sec

Sweet and sour

Coconut milk

Pineapple

Vodka

Peach schnapps

Cranberry juice

Grapefruit juice

Haven't even heard of some of that stuff!

May well have mentioned it on here before but this is a great little book with info about various drinks / ingredients and how to serve them as well as bar tending techniques and (of course) loads of recipes:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1844771318

As you can see you can get a copy for next-to-nowt on Amazon too.

Recent fave of mine is Tuaca cocktail

1 measure Tuaca

1 measure Vodka

1/2 measure fresh lime juice

shaken with ice then strained into a martini glass.

Also had the odd Rusty Nail of late but I prefer 3 parts Scotch to 1 Drambuie rather than the classic half and half.

Edited by Alex

May well have mentioned it on here before but this is a great little book with info about various drinks / ingredients and how to serve them as well as bar tending techniques and (of course) loads of recipes:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1844771318

As you can see you can get a copy for next-to-nowt on Amazon too.

Recent fave of mine is Tuaca cocktail

1 measure Tuaca

1 measure Vodka

1/2 measure fresh lime juice

shaken with ice then strained into a martini glass.

Also had the odd Rusty Nail of late but I prefer 3 parts Scotch to 1 Drambuie rather than the classic half and half.

I'll give that a look. What the hell is Tuaca?

I'll give that a look. What the hell is Tuaca?

It's an Italian liqueur. Except the small Livorno company got bought out so I think it's now made in the States. Anyway, it's not too sweet and its brandy-based with the main flavourings being orange and vanilla. It's also really nice in a Lake Como. 1 1/2 measures of cognac, 3/4 measure Tuaca shaken with ice and strained into a martini glass. Bit like a Black Russian but nicer. It's nice neat on the rocks too. It's not that easy to get in the shops but widely available online. The Trent used to sell it funnily enough.

The cheap spirits in the Trent were fucking minging like. I saw Tuaca pop up in a few places, presumably the new owners were marketing it. It's still nice / tastes the same but it's a bit of a shame the little factory in Italy shut down and it got taken over by a multi-national. The company made a few other liqueurs too but I think they've all died a death as the new owners were only interested in the Tuaca brand. Way of the world I suppose.

Edited by Alex

Anyone got a decent recipe for mulled wine and/or spiced cider?

1 bottle of red

75g soft light brown sugar

2 cinnamon sticks

1 lemon, sliced (go for an unwaxed one or give it a good scrub if you can't get one)

4 whole cloves

150mls brandy or port (the latter is obviously sweeter, the former makes for a stronger brew)

Put all the ingredients (except the brandy/port) in a pan and bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar. Remove it from the heat straight away and cover the pan (you don't want the alcohol to evaporate) to allow the flavours to infuse. Let it stand for 5 mins. Strain to remove the spices and lemon slices. Add the brandy / port and serve it warm. You can garnish each glass with a slice of fresh lemon.