What are you drinking?

Guest alex

You're supposed to have gotten it all out of your system by this age though, certainly.

Yup, but obviously a sizeable number of Brits haven't.

I was up in Newcastle for Christmas and one of my mates was out with his workmates. We were having a decent laugh, but there were two in their late 30s who not only wanted to change bars after every pint, but were confused when I was ordering a pint of ale. They were drinking Turbo-shandies with some kind of day-glo amuse bouche in a plastic shotglass.

I left to meet up with other mates, then was followed not long after by my mate whose work mates had been denied entry to somewhere on the Bigg market. Denied entry on the Bigg Market. :o

It was only about 2100 ish as well.

Just seems a fucking waste of a night.

Aye it's idiotic behaviour. One of my mates got helped into his house last week by the people across the street who'd watched him for 10 minutes trying to put his key in the front door, and eventually decided they had to intervene. This is a bloke who (amongst others in the group) gets that level of drunk where at a certain point in the night they just stand swaying, you can see in their eyes that they aren't focusing on anything, and when you go over to direct them somewhere there's that flicker of aggression where you can tell they don't even recognise their own friends. 38 years old.

I wasn't really even talking about this sort of thing to be fair, I was more saying that "good and drunk" doesn't exist for me. And not cos I end up falling over or anything like that, just that alcohol doesn't interact with me like that. I know from how much my mates look forward to boozing that they have to be getting something else out of it than what I am.

Aye it's idiotic behaviour. One of my mates got helped into his house last week by the people across the street who'd watched him for 10 minutes trying to put his key in the front door, and eventually decided they had to intervene. This is a bloke who (amongst others in the group) gets that level of drunk where at a certain point in the night they just stand swaying, you can see in their eyes that they aren't focusing on anything, and when you go over to direct them somewhere there's that flicker of aggression where you can tell they don't even recognise their own friends. 38 years old.

I wasn't really even talking about this sort of thing to be fair, I was more saying that "good and drunk" doesn't exist for me. And not cos I end up falling over or anything like that, just that alcohol doesn't interact with me like that. I know from how much my mates look forward to boozing that they have to be getting something else out of it than what I am.

This. It just doesn't really happen for me. As we are a training practice, there's always a new intake of graduates and there are a couple of other younger members of staff as well, all who want to go out and get "boomed" and look forward to it massively. I just don't have that anticipation for it. I'll go out with them reasonably often as it can be a laugh up to a point, but when they start to become less coherent and the eyes start to glaze and that's my cue to fuck right off.

Sounds a bit like the last night out I had with Alex.

By the way, only steers and queers get turned away from the Bigg Market at 2100hrs, you absolute Colonel.

I wasn't turned away you Chav-alier, my mates workmates were.

Turned away? Pah

No doubt Fish assumes he'd be turned away for being too smart but it's just because his tweed jacket is technically a fire hazard in Pop World.

:huh:

nothing like getting shitfaced every now and again. i don't think i'll ever grow out of it. though it's only something i do once a month or so these days.

no matter how drunk i get though, i always manage to find my way home to bed. i have no idea how people get to the point where they pass out on the streets.

i usually make a decision at some point to end the night. it usually comes when i start annoying myself. it's time to call it a night when i hear myself becoming the kind of slurring idiot that i'd make an effort to avoid talking to if i were sobre.

I'm giving up for January. Not for charity or owt it's just a nice excuse, in the same manner Christmas is to have a few extra nights out.

Same as me. Well, after this weekend. I've never gone a full month without drink since I started so want to see if I can do it. I never get absolutely pissed but having a bottle of wine has become too common these days so a month off will do no harm.

Same as me. Well, after this weekend. I've never gone a full month without drink since I started so want to see if I can do it. I never get absolutely pissed but having a bottle of wine has become too common these days so a month off will do no harm.

Me neither really - I'll have a drink but it's rare I'm drunk. I only really drink on weekends so after a busy Christmas period on the hoy it feels like a restoration of balance.

It's my brothers birthday at the weekend so I might drink for that. Last time i took six or seven weeks off so it'll probably be something similar this time.

It's fine as a personal challenge/health month but this rising trend of people being sponsored for charity for dry January?!?

1. Alcohol is taxed highly- the drop in revenues could cost a child an artificial lung machine

2. It generates a low donation because the majority of people don't wanna sponsor you to be even more of an arse*

3. Do a sponsored help the aged/homeless/epileptic dogs voluntary month where you actually do something worthwhile while raising money for charity. But then, that would take something that was actually a selfless act :bunny:

*In no way directed at KAREN FROM HR