Amsterdam

Gemmill

Anyone got any? Don't want to stay in a shit hole or owt, so it needs to be decent and well-located. Never been to Amsterdam, so any other ideas on what to do ( ;) ), where to go etc would be great.

Don't stay neat the train station.

This is canny and the best named hotel in western europe ;) :

http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Cok_City_Amsterdam__Review_5042864

If you want a bit of history, try a snoop around whats left of the jewish quarter in Amsterdam Sud. The Synangogue is stunning, and the Schouwburg Theatre will break your heart when they tell you that it was where they kept the jewish folk before they were put on the trains for Auschwitz.

The red light area has loads of whores and cheap dope mind...its fuckin great ;)

Anyone got any? Don't want to stay in a shit hole or owt, so it needs to be decent and well-located. Never been to Amsterdam, so any other ideas on what to do ( ;) ), where to go etc would be great.

Don't eat near the station or exchange money anywhere near the station either.

The Van Gough museum was pretty good, i was stoned as a c*nt and on a sexual high when I went though.

I stayed just around the corner from there.

Can't remember the name of the place.

Would have been one of the hotels here though

Google Map

Edited by Happy Face

Don't eat near the station or exchange money anywhere near the station either.

Stay away from the station.

Best central location imo is near the Museumplein / Vondel Park / Leidseplein. The Leidseplein is very touristy but still nice and not dodgy like the northern part of the city can be at times. That said the red light district is alright for a look around through the day and is actually pretty safe. Basically just follow the normal rules in a big city but as people have said around the station can be canny shady. My favourite hotel in the Leidseplein area is the American Hotel although I stayed in one round the corner from there called the Boutique View (iirc) last time which was nice and clean and a good location with breakfast included in the price (a lot more reasonably priced too).

As others have said the Van Gogh museum is worth seeing but the Rijksmuseum is equally good. It's not fully open due to refurbishment that's been going on for about 5 years or something now but that's not necessarily a bad thing as the bit that is open is really just the highlights (including Rembrandt's 'The Nightwatch').

Let me know and I'll lend you my Timeout guide which is very good. I think I've got a map somewhere too.

Also, I know you don't smoke or owt but if you fancy a bit of space cake Kadinsky on Spuistraat comes highly recommended as loads of the places sell shite.

Edited by alex

First time I went we stayed in some dump that lifted my credit card details.. Second time stayed near the station, think it was an Ibis. It was fine, never saw any trouble tbh.

The Van Gogh Museum is quality, and the Sex Museum is funny as there's always a few perverts wandering around.

Bewked this:

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/the-...nh-caransa.html

Cheers for all the advice, going with the lads so chances of there being much cultural stuff done is slim, but good to know.

alex, ta very much for the offer of lending the book, but see above. ;) I'd actually quite like to go and see some of the museums and that, but I doubt it'll happen. Might pay Kadinsky a visit.

I assumed you were going with your lass but the Time Out guide is still worth looking at as in addition to all the cultural shit it isn't pretentious and has really good guides to coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc. and even sex shows (although I must confess I've never been to the latter there). PM me for recommendations of the other 3 though ;)

What's so bad about the train station?

It's not that bad but around there just attracts a lot of chancers, junkies, etc. No worse than Kings Cross tbh.

It's not that bad but around there just attracts a lot of chancers, junkies, etc. No worse than Kings Cross tbh.

Also, a lot of the tacky, rip-off places are round there to catch unsuspecting visitors stumbling off the trains.

Also, a lot of the tacky, rip-off places are round there to catch unsuspecting visitors stumbling off the trains.

Coffee shops, bars etc. tend to be shit tourist traps there too.

Bewked this:

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/the-...nh-caransa.html

Cheers for all the advice, going with the lads so chances of there being much cultural stuff done is slim, but good to know.

alex, ta very much for the offer of lending the book, but see above. ;) I'd actually quite like to go and see some of the museums and that, but I doubt it'll happen. Might pay Kadinsky a visit.

Caransa?...named after this gadgie no doubt, Maup Caransa, a big player behind the Ajax sides of the 60s & 70s:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...ADBR_en___GB328

I can remember walking past a nightclub near the red light area called Cockring

so can I...when we played Herenveen one of our lot thought it might be a good idea to try and get in there ;)

to be fair he'd been drinking Warsteiner for about 8 hours....

Coffee shops, bars etc. tend to be shit tourist traps there too.

Is Teasers still there? jwtbh.