your thoughts on our manager

Dr Gloom

I feel sorry for Hughton that we're slagging him. He's done his best and seems an honest man, I don't expect us to be Real Madrid, I just thought last night was a typical example of his defensive nature. It was made for two attacking centre midfieldrs, Guthrie and Nolan together in the middle would've made it a much more attractive game, it aint like it's Man Utd away.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hes a nice bloke whos done a difficult job quietly without any kind of fuss.

Hes never in a million years going to be a competent Premiership manager though. As has already been said, we are where we are because of the lack of quality in the rest of the division.

I'll be interested to see how he copes when the pressure starts, once we drop off the top spot and looking at a play off place will he have what it takes to push this club forwards and come out fighting? I think not, what he does in the next 4 months will decide whether hes got any kind of chance with us next season.

I hope Im proved wrong.

I've been told that he gets influenced by senior members of the squad who intimidate him into doing things their way. Nolan, Butt, Taylor, Smith pretty much have his ear.

He is in no way shape or form good enough to avoid a mackem-esque 19 points if he were to remain in charge next season (if we go up!)

^^^See above. ;)

I've been told that he gets influenced by senior members of the squad who intimidate him into doing things their way. Nolan, Butt, Taylor, Smith pretty much have his ear.

He is in no way shape or form good enough to avoid a mackem-esque 19 points if he were to remain in charge next season (if we go up!)

We're better than Burnley and Wolves Alan.

if we sack him before we go up, it will fuel the media scorn about us not giving our managers enough time.

doesn't he deserve a chance if we go up?

i'm saying this based on the achievement (if it happens) of getting us promoted at the first time of asking combined with how low our expectations were pre-season, not on the performances that have got us to where we are.

Well I'd suggest you're using the wrong criteria.

i'm trying to play devil's advocate a little bit. it would be very harsh on him to sack him if he took us up

I'd move him back into a coaching role and get somebody better in ideally. Agree it would be harsh but I couldn't give a fuck tbh. All the most sucessful clubs are mercenary about that type of thing. Obviously I don't envisage us moving on the manager front anyway so it's all a bit moot really.

Heard the same and agree about the 2nd bit.

if we sack him before we go up, it will fuel the media scorn about us not giving our managers enough time.

i'm saying this based on the achievement (if it happens) of getting us promoted at the first time of asking combined with how low our expectations were pre-season, not on the performances that have got us to where we are.

i'm trying to play devil's advocate a little bit. it would be very harsh on him to sack him if he took us up

I'd move him back into a coaching role and get somebody better in ideally. Agree it would be harsh but I couldn't give a fuck tbh. All the most sucessful clubs are mercenary about that type of thing. Obviously I don't envisage us moving on the manager front anyway so it's all a bit moot really.

I'd get the Italian managing Irealand in. Would be massive fun if nothing else. ;)

He's being carried by a considerably better squad than anyone else in the division.

We can't even say he's unproven in the Premiership - we saw evidence on two seperate occassions last season. Fair play to him for making sure the players and coaching staff concentrate on the football and nothing else, but I'm massively underwhelmed by his capabilities.

As someone else said he's a coach, definitely not a manager.

if we go up and ashley manages to sell up in the summer, i wouldn't be surprised if a new owner comes in, has a look says 'thanks chris but see you later' and gets a better manager with more experience in.

a more likely scenerio if we go up is ashley fucking around taking the club on and off the market, not signing anyone of note, keeping hughton, then sacking him when it all goes tits up a few months into the season.

Allardyce without the offensive personality.

Actually I think he keeps it simple while Allardyce tried to be too clever before he'd even got the basics right.

True that. Its fairly functional football, which is how many characterise Allardyce but with Hughton you could at least say he is trying to play to our strengths.

I think Ashley likes someone who owes him a favour, or is grateful for the job...see also JFK. Makes them easier to manipulate, or easier to "persuade" to see things his way, accept budgets etc.

And there is this talk of a player's "comittee" (Smith,Nolan...anyone else?) Caulkin and Bird have both alluded to this, and Hughton is quoted as saying he likes to do the job with a "light touch" in the changing room.

All of which suggests to me we've got a yes man who is largely cowed by the players he's supposed to be in charge of. As someone has said we're top in spite of not because of him. So how much better could we be if we had someone else in charge?...Shearer?.....Mark Hughes?....

mark hughes would be a good appointment if we were to go up.

a proven manager at permier league level and better than most we could hope to attract.

in fact i think we'd do well to get him - or anyone decent - with the current owner still on board.

He deserves a modicum of credit for getting on with things without really knowing what the future of the club is. He's made quite a few mistakes regarding team selection but I don't think he's completely clueless.

At the end of the day I'm not convinced he'll ever be a top flight manager and if I had my way I wouldn't risk finding out if we go up next season.

I he keeps picking the strong characters in their preferred positions (Smith, Nolan, etc.) to the detriment of the younger players like Guthrie. That doesn't bode well for next season when it's inevitable that we'll have to sign some 'egos' if we're to have much hope of avoiding relegation.

I think that's a symptom of Hughton bringing democracy to the dressing room. The players have as much say as he does and while they may not pick the team I think they have Hughton's ear. I know it's won them over and helped morale over the summer but I want a despot as a manager, especially in the top flight.

Jesus christ you bunch of depressing bastards, what do you want out of this club under this owner? 10 & 12 million signings etc. No chance, 500k championship rejects, yes. Everything that has happened happened! there is no going back! get over it for fuck sake and get on with it.

I think its unfair to say its all down to him having a better squad than everyone else, especially as people on here keep pointing out that we're shite and that West Brom, Forest etc all play better than us.

I think he's a good bloke who's done a good job and i think he deserves a crack at managing the team in the prem if he gets us promoted. However as unfair as it would be, i wouldn't give him that chance as he will struggle in the prem and should be moved back to coach under a proven prem manager so we have our best shot at competing.

Harsh on him but ultimately for the best that he's replaced with thanks for getting us promoted(which i think he will do) to the prem, but if Ashley is incharge, he's cheap so will definitely be the boss come the start of the season.

mark hughes would be a good appointment if we were to go up.

a proven manager at permier league level and better than most we could hope to attract.

in fact i think we'd do well to get him - or anyone decent - with the current owner still on board.

I agree

I think if we go up hughton will just be proven to be out of his depth, hes done a great job for us and I respect him enormously for just getting on with it while everything else goes to shit but to stay in the PL we'll have to be ruthless and say thanks to him, get him back as a coach and being in a proper manager

This tbh.

Thing is a lot of managers have their own team - you wouldn't want to get off on the wrong foot with someone decent by saying "You have to find a place for Chris".

I'd rather a new manager felt comfortable in those circumstances - Hughton could always move on to a job at a smaller club.

The biggest concern I have is that he picks players based on their status/stature within the side, and not on their merits as players and what additional dimensions they would bring to the side. His substitutions sometimes seem to target certain players as though he doesn't want to upset more senior players.

It would be harsh to get rid of him that's for sure, but if the right manager was available it may be a consideration. Conversely you might say that he's improving as a manager all along and now that he has done well in the Championship he should be better equipped to face the Premier League.

For me though, the key influencing factor is that he previously proclaimed that he did not want to be a manager. If he didn't have that ambition in the first place he's likely to not be a great fit in that position. I'd like a manager who commands the changing room (but maybe not one who throws shoes at our best players) and whose blood boils when players give away the ball unneccesarily.

If we do achieve promotion I don't think it will be because of Hughtons skill as a manager. I think we are where we are right now because of the players we have playing in a pretty much non-quality league.

When you consider that we have a large percentage of players who have Premier League experience from last season, you have to question why Hughton has not been able to get them to play better than what they are doing now in a lower league. The majority of our wins and draws have not been achieved in any grand football manner, more scratch & claw, and Hughton doesn't seem to have the forte to bring out the best in them and get them to play consistantly good.

He seems to be a decent and honest individual with an air of dignity but that doesn't always mean he's a winner in the team performence. His spells as caretaker manager in the Premier league did not enhance his managerial ambitions and I have to believe that Ashley saw him as yes man and a whipping boy if things got worse.

I like Hughton as a person but I don't think he is the man for our future.

He has done ok, but i think anyone would have done ok with this squad in this league.

Simple fact is going off his team selections and substitutions this season, but most of all his tactics and brand of football he has us playing, he is definatly going to be out of his depth next season in the PL.

The only way there will definatly be movement with regards to management is IF ashley sells in the summer, which i think he mite but i wouldnt hold my breath.

If ashley stays then hughton will still be our man and we will most definatly be in for a real relegation battle regardless of how much or how little we spend.

Should we get sold then Mark Hughes would be a decent call, best of whats available.

We are where we are despite rather than because of him imo.

Sadly he'll stay until sacked when we're rock bottom next xmas.

Sums up my view on him. He strikes me as a mediocre manager.

He has done ok, but i think anyone would have done ok with this squad in this league.

Simple fact is going off his team selections and substitutions this season, but most of all his tactics and brand of football he has us playing, he is definatly going to be out of his depth next season in the PL.

The only way there will definatly be movement with regards to management is IF ashley sells in the summer, which i think he mite but i wouldnt hold my breath.

If ashley stays then hughton will still be our man and we will most definatly be in for a real relegation battle regardless of how much or how little we spend.

Should we get sold then Mark Hughes would be a decent call, best of whats available.

totally agree about Mark Hughes. Fantastic manager at mid table Prem level which is the best we could possibly hope for under this owner. as for tactics, i really believe he's been forced into playing a more 'direct' approach to every game due to the limitations of the squad. lets face it, if your best two forwards are over 6' and not very mobile (as they are) it makes sense to play the ball early, try to hold the ball and hope you get a runner (Nolan, 2 wide guys) from midfield.

saying all that i do believe we will struggle next season IF we get promoted.

Nice bloke, he has done a job for us when we couldnt pull in a decent manager ,he will find it hard in the PL,...the fact is we have gone through so many managers in recent years if we get promoted we will struggle to get a "Mark Hughes" type because we demand success within a few months