Leon Best

Scottish Mag

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit i was totally underwhelmed with this signing but if you look at his record of 42 goals in 120 starts that actually isnt a bad return for a striker. 1 in 3.

Be interesting to see shola, lovenkrands and carrols goal ratios.

LoveK is about 1 in 16.

Shola's one in a million :lol:

Jesus, didn't think shola's goal ratio was that good.

I wonder if he said look Hughton no ones wearing 9 why can't I have it. I think any journo reading this someone like Simon Bird, should ask the question, can you explain why Leon being a striker was not offered the number 9 shirt.

Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton has decided to withhold the No 9 shirt from his strikers and challenge them to prove they are worthy of achieving "iconic" status.

His stance means this season will be the first since shirt numbers were introduced in 1939 that Newcastle have gone without a No 9 in their ranks to follow in the footsteps of Jackie Milburn, Malcolm Macdonald and Alan Shearer.

Hughton, speaking ahead of Friday night's visit of Cardiff City in the Championship, said: "It's one of the most iconic shirts around and it's something I've done deliberately.

"We have a lot of strikers here and I'm quite sure every single one would have wanted to wear the No 9.

"When I came to this club I was made aware what the No 9 meant to this club. For some, it can be a heavy number to carry, a burden if you like. I want somebody to earn the right to be Newcastle's No 9."

Hughton's strategy emerged following the Championship leaders' signing of forward Leon Best from Coventry.

"I don't want to suggest that the strikers we've got here aren't worthy of that position or that number," he added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...e-strikers.html?

Newcastle's new signing Leon Best has turned down the chance to take the club's famous No 9 shirt because he says he has not earned it yet.

The £2million buy from Coventry City, who looks certain to make his Newcastle debut at some point against Cardiff tonight, says he took the No 20 shirt because he is aware of the iconic status of the No 9 jersey on Tyneside.

It has become synonymous with Newcastle United and their famous black and white stripes.

Throughout the years, it has been handed to some of the greatest names to play for the club.

The shirt has gone to very different characters and players, from Wee Hughie Gallacher to Sir Bobby Robson's favourite player Albert Stubbins, to Jackie Milburn, Wyn Davies, 'Supermac' Malcolm Macdonald and the modern-day heroes such as Andy Cole and Les Ferdinand.

But it was former captain and caretaker manager Shearer who virtually made the shirt his own, scoring more than 200 goals for the club in over a decade at St James' Park.

Last season, the No 9 shirt was worn by Obafemi Martins before his summer departure for Wolfsburg.

Republic of Ireland forward Best said: 'They showed me the numbers that were available when I signed and the nine was there, but I took the 20. The No 9 shirt has to be earned here.

'It isn't like the No 9 shirt at other clubs. You have to earn it. You can't just walk in and take it. There is so much history there that I didn't want it.

'I'd like it in the future, but I want to prove that I'm worthy first. I'd like to be given it rather than take it.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...No-9-shirt.html

I wonder if he said look Hughton no ones wearing 9 why can't I have it. I think any journo reading this someone like Simon Bird, should ask the question, can you explain why Leon being a striker was not offered the number 9 shirt.

Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton has decided to withhold the No 9 shirt from his strikers and challenge them to prove they are worthy of achieving "iconic" status.

His stance means this season will be the first since shirt numbers were introduced in 1939 that Newcastle have gone without a No 9 in their ranks to follow in the footsteps of Jackie Milburn, Malcolm Macdonald and Alan Shearer.

Hughton, speaking ahead of Friday night's visit of Cardiff City in the Championship, said: "It's one of the most iconic shirts around and it's something I've done deliberately.

"We have a lot of strikers here and I'm quite sure every single one would have wanted to wear the No 9.

"When I came to this club I was made aware what the No 9 meant to this club. For some, it can be a heavy number to carry, a burden if you like. I want somebody to earn the right to be Newcastle's No 9."

Hughton's strategy emerged following the Championship leaders' signing of forward Leon Best from Coventry.

"I don't want to suggest that the strikers we've got here aren't worthy of that position or that number," he added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...e-strikers.html?

I guess Shoal will be busting a gut to get his hands on the shirt. Narrr, I can't see it happening either.