Could You live with Ashley long term?

Happy Face

I've surprised myself with two posts this morning which are fairer on Ashley than I'd normally be.

At the moment, we're at an impasse. Ashley isn't selling the club, and even if he would, it's a huge risk that anyone coming in will be any better. So the fans are on his back every week and no manager worth his salt would come near us because of his reputation.

Despite my disgust for what he's done, I've started to wonder if I (and the rest of the fans/NUST) could put that aside and support Ashley in the future for the good of the club. What would it take for me to do that?

The way I see it, whatever Ashley has done over the last year and a half stems from the moment Keegan walked and the fans turned on him. What caused Keegan to walk? The setup, or more specifically the characters in the setup and how they chose to go about things.

Wise, Jimenez and Vetere are all off the books now, which leaves only Llambias and Ashley.

If Ashley were to sack Llambias, make a big show of it, tell the world it's been his bad advice that's caused all this, that he was to blame for the Keegan fiasco, that he wants a clean slate and to compete in the top flight, I think I could be more forgiving of him. It would be a positive step, an action to go with the rhetoric.

I think it's the sort of compromise the fans should shift towards as an achievable goal. In the same way Freddie Fletcher was the fall guy a decade ago (rightly or wrongly), the people left in charge remained unpopular but a sorry saga was put behind us and everyone just got on with it.

It'll never happen like. But i think by shifting the focus of contempt from the owner to the chief executive there's more scope for getting results.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have a choice, that's the problem. The way things are I can't see anyone spunking millions on his asking price in the next few years and I don't think he needs to sell.

an action to go with the rhetoric.

Well this is it for me, I don't really give a shit how much of a cunt the guy is as long as he's making the right decisions for the club. If he did as you say and provided even a modest transfer kitty of around £20m in the summer then I think it would go a long way to building some bridges.

We don't have a choice, that's the problem. The way things are I can't see anyone spunking millions on his asking price in the next few years and I don't think he needs to sell.

I reckon Ashley wants the business of NUFC to thrive though. And while his stock is so low in the world of football it can't possibly.

I think we have the choice of whether we target Llambias or Ashley. The NUST can aim to buy Ashley out completely (though they've said they can't) or pressure for the removal of Llambias (who's caused all the problems) and a chance to work with Ashley on positive terms.

Edited by Happy Face

I have to say Im amazed that more shit isnt sent Llambias's way. Hes the one running the show, hes the one making the decisions and hes the one standing there spouting shit.

At the end of the day though Ashley holds ultimate responsibility, hes the one that can get rid of Dekka and hes the one who could make it work.

Yes, if he was to make all the right moves and do all the right things including heavy investment then I could live with him, frankly just like I could live with any owner who ensured the right stuff would be done on the pitch. Trouble with Ashley though is the way in which hes done stuff.

Thing is though, thats all pie in the sky, you me and everyone else knows he would never do what it takes to make things right. He'd never employ the right manager, invest the right money in the time and say the right things.

As it goes, hes not sold anyone of any note in this window and has made some investment, not as much as I personally would have liked but then again I would have liked to make Chelsea, Man U and Man City offers they couldnt afford to turn down for their best players but thats not being realistic.

I dont think thats enough to guarantee promotion but hes not done anything to dent our chances, maybe thats down to Taylors injury but even if so, it shows he has at least learnt something (and done one thing better than the Plc did when they sold Ferdinand) from his previous mistakes.

Come September though and I reckon we'll be back to square one, no worthwhile purchases and nothing like the squad strengthening we desperately need.

I dont see him ever coming close to making it work though. He'll always be on the lookout for the next cheap deal, the next way to shave a tenner off the outlay and the next chance he has to smooth the waters he'll cock it up.

I may be able to selectively forget the things hes done but I will never be able to forgive what hes turned our football club into.

I reckon Ashley wants the business of NUFC to thrive though. And while his stock is so low in the world of football it can't possibly.

I think we have the choice of whether we target Llambias or Ashley. The NUST can aim to buy Ashley out completely (though they've said they can't) or pressure for the removal of Llambias (who's caused all the problems) and a chance to work with Ashley on positive terms.

I reckon he doesn't have the contacts, know-how or willingness to spend needed to make that happen though.

And removing Llambias in itself doesn't get rid of the problem. Look at who he has appointed to key roles (KK and possibly Chris Mort apart) and there's no evidence he'll appoint the right people needed. I don't think you're wrong in that removal of Llambias is a more achievable aim but I don't think it's really going to make any difference unless the owner changes.

I have to say Im amazed that more shit isnt sent Llambias's way. Hes the one running the show, hes the one making the decisions and hes the one standing there spouting shit.

At the end of the day though Ashley holds ultimate responsibility, hes the one that can get rid of Dekka and hes the one who could make it work.

Yes, if he was to make all the right moves and do all the right things including heavy investment then I could live with him, frankly just like I could live with any owner who ensured the right stuff would be done on the pitch. Trouble with Ashley though is the way in which hes done stuff.

Thing is though, thats all pie in the sky, you me and everyone else knows he would never do what it takes to make things right. He'd never employ the right manager, invest the right money in the time and say the right things.

As it goes, hes not sold anyone of any note in this window and has made some investment, not as much as I personally would have liked but then again I would have liked to make Chelsea, Man U and Man City offers they couldnt afford to turn down for their best players but thats not being realistic.

I dont think thats enough to guarantee promotion but hes not done anything to dent our chances, maybe thats down to Taylors injury but even if so, it shows he has at least learnt something (and done one thing better than the Plc did when they sold Ferdinand) from his previous mistakes.

Come September though and I reckon we'll be back to square one, no worthwhile purchases and nothing like the squad strengthening we desperately need.

I dont see him ever coming close to making it work though. He'll always be on the lookout for the next cheap deal, the next way to shave a tenner off the outlay and the next chance he has to smooth the waters he'll cock it up.

I may be able to selectively forget the things hes done but I will never be able to forgive what hes turned our football club into.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But is buying the club ourselves, or even a portion of it, just as much pie in the sky?

I think before Llambias arrived he was backing the manager as we'd like. And the manager he appointed was extremely popular. The fact he's not been doing similarly since the Cockney Mafia out campaign started is perfectly understandable as he has no level of popularity to maintain.

Currently I don't think Ashley sees any opportunity to regain his popularity as all the negativity is directed at him. It's either sell up or eat up our shit. If the anger was directed at llambias, where it's probably more deserved, the owner would have an option.

I think the problem with Llambias is that even if Ashley sanctioned money for deals I don't think the chairman has the ability to pull them off. That's just the impression I get along with the odd thing I've heard so, in retrospect, I think HF has a point, to an extent, although while I don't think it would make a massive difference, having a better chairman would help matters.

Edited by alex

But is buying the club ourselves, or even a portion of it, just as much pie in the sky?

I think before Llambias arrived he was backing the manager as we'd like. And the manager he appointed was extremely popular. The fact he's not been doing similarly since the Cockney Mafia out campaign started is perfectly understandable as he has no level of popularity to maintain.

Currently I don't think Ashley sees any opportunity to regain his popularity as all the negativity is directed at him. It's either sell up or eat up our shit. If the anger was directed at llambias, where it's probably more deserved, the owner would have an option.

He was already breaking promises he'd made to KK before that point.

I dont think the portion of it is pie in the sky, as shown we have raised £50m so far so technicaly we could purchase half the club, whether that would actually work would be a totally different matter.

As for backing the manager, yes he did appear to be doing so however he stopped doing that before the protests, that sudden lack of support is what got us to the position we are now. Selling players by lying to the manager and then buying ones KK didnt want was the start of this whole sorry mess.

I heard the reason we didnt get Moses was because of Dekka.

Aye, wanted to come here but Llambias fucked it up. 2J was telling me some kid on N-O managed to speak to Moses or got a voicemail from him.

I dont think the portion of it is pie in the sky, as shown we have raised £50m so far so technicaly we could purchase half the club, whether that would actually work would be a totally different matter.

As for backing the manager, yes he did appear to be doing so however he stopped doing that before the protests, that sudden lack of support is what got us to the position we are now. Selling players by lying to the manager and then buying ones KK didnt want was the start of this whole sorry mess.

I don't doubt there's enough fan backing to buy into the club. I just don't believe Ashley wants to be a partner.

As you and Alex say, he was pissing off Keegan in April over Modric, months before he walked. He lied to Keegan from day one saying he'd be in control of transfers too. But the system/people that created the problem aren't there any more. He was spending money, he was just giving it to the wrong people to spend.

Edited by Happy Face

I don't doubt there's enough fan backing to buy into the club. I just don't believe Ashley wants to be a partner.

As you and Alex say, he was pissing off Keegan in April over Modric, months before he walked. He lied to Keegan from day one saying he'd be in control of transfers too. But the system/people that created the problem aren't there any more. He was spending money, he was just giving it to the wrong people to spend.

I think you've got a point but I think what is more crucial is that he just doesn't have the money he had when he bought the club. I'm not saying we'd be like Man City now were it not for the stock market crash (not to mention his own fuck-ups on the stock market which were happening before even that) but I think the biggest change in attitude is down to him being nowhere near as rich as he was about 3 years ago.

Aye, wanted to come here but Llambias fucked it up. 2J was telling me some kid on N-O managed to speak to Moses or got a voicemail from him.

Personally I think that's all bollocks, I think he just wanted PL footie straight away. He's already going on about a full england call up in the papers.

I'm a simple soul. IF he gets in a goodish manager with a decent record and buys a midfield, I'd put the tanks on hold. :lol:

Indeed. We dont need to invest that much money, we obviously need significant investment in midfield in the event we do get promoted (no chickens being counted here though) but the one thing he could do relatively easily is bring in a top class manager.

Doubt it will happen though for the obvious reasons.

Personally I think that's all bollocks, I think he just wanted PL footie straight away. He's already going on about a full england call up in the papers.

Came direct from the agent. Probably to do with wage demands at the end of the day.

No idea how true it is but it would hardly be a surprise either.

I don't see why any top class manager would want to work under Llambias.

I struggle to imagine anyone coming in while Ashley is here, but just about manage to, if he does like i said above and pins all the blame on Decka & Wise.

Came direct from the agent. Probably to do with wage demands at the end of the day.

20k?

I struggle to imagine anyone coming in while Ashley is here, but just about manage to, if he does like i said above and pins all the blame on Decka & Wise.

The reason you've softened is that there are some signs of green shoots and whatever we think of MA he's one shrewd fuck, he's certainly turned our finances around and next year he'll go into profit. Job done.

The reason you've softened is that there are some signs of green shoots [/b]and whatever we think of MA he's one shrewd fuck, he's certainly turned our finances around and next year he'll go into profit. Job done.

So this is all part of the 5 year plan? :lol:

The reason you've softened is that there are some signs of green shoots and whatever we think of MA he's one shrewd fuck, he's certainly turned our finances around and next year he'll go into profit. Job done.

His few redeeming features for me have only come to light when you compare our situation to that of Liverpool, Man Utd and Pompey....he bought us with his own cash, didnt borrow a penny and he, for good or bad, attends games regularly and is a recognisable public face of the club week in, week out.

I think some of us may be eating a huge slice of irony pie if he's still owner in 2 years time. Pity we'll be, at best, a solvent yo yo club with no real direction but looking at Pompey maybe we're better with the devil we know.

For the events of last season though he's still a fuckin useless cunt :lol: