More comments from N-O

Kevin Carr's Gloves

I will say this however. I think that the fact that you take very obvious pleasure/comfort in the fact that toontastic might well one day fail is pretty fucking petty and childish. You know why this place was set up-you even openly admit it was as a direct result of mistakes you made in trying to impose your N-O 'brand' on people who had absolutely no affinity with it. To admit this was a mistake of your own making therefore, only then to come out with the rest of your diatribe exposes you for a pretty sad individual imho.

58624[/snapback]

I don't take obvious pleasure/comfort with my assertion, although I can see how my comments would read like that. I was just being honest, blunt even. I've seen it many a time with small forums and if I've learned one thing with football forums in particular, they rely on new members. Without new members, the chat becomes stale, been there, done it all before, and people get bored and before you know it, one top member just disappears, then another and so on and so on and it ends up floating about in cyber space. That's what I genuinly think will happen to this forum because it's not the most appealing website to "newbies", it looks great, works fantastic, like I said it's one of the best forums I've seen, but it has a snobby, patronising, almost false kind of feel to it and I'm not the only one to comment on that.

Maybe that's just me or "us", maybe not. As ever the truth is in between.

And as a NUFC forum, a lot of fans will not settle down here or set it as their home page if you like, some will, but the vast majority won't. I like to think I understand NUFC fans, having ran Nufc.nu, HTT and now Newcastle-online. And while I probably come across as arrogant, I think I know what makes them tick, what doesn't, what they want and what they don't. Online anyway.

I hope it doesn't fade away or just die, and I mean that, not that anyone will believe me like. But I can honestly see it heading that way. Chayton and Sheargol have ran many forums no doubt, and I bet most have just fizzled out. I have too, 90% of them died despite my best efforts and large enough memberships. You can build the best site, the best forum, but it's people that make a site/forum.

ALL KINDS.

Based on some of the opinions on here, the likes of Taylor27 wouldn't be welcome on here, or would be constantly mocked etc. Hell, he's not even a member of this board, and he's being mocked. Whether he posts shit or is winding people up or not, these kind of threads on here reflect badly on this forum, it's members and it's chances of surviving to an ubiased, reading audience, or lurkers.

I know this because we've got members who come our way, after having first tried this place, deciding to stick with us. Aye there is a lot of crap, but no-one looks down on anyone, there is no gang mentality, cliques or anything like that. Just people, their opinions and a platform to voice them. I guess that's why it's so popular, despite being "shite".

I'm sure Chayton, Peasepud and Sheargol et al will work hard to keep this board alive, they already have with the games and such, but often it's the members themselves that have to work hard to keep a board going.

Anyway, that's my opinion, as a member of this forum who will continue to use it (if I'm still wanted :rolleyes:), and as someone who runs a board where some of our members also use this board, this is my genuine thoughts/advice on this place, backed up with years of experience. Trust me, it will die a death if it continues to sneer at people and other sites, especially fellow fans. If fans hate one thing, it's being ridiculed by their own. Think about it.

58652[/snapback]

I very much beg to differ.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to keep the tone as matter-of-fact as possible tbh mate and I think I succeded. Dont really know what you're getting at.

And I stand by what I said regardless of who started the thread. I think in many ways the fact that he responds to comments on here makes it even more petty tbh. Whats the point in him criticising this place? I actually agree with the 'cliquey' observations but 1) thats partly his fault in causing the split and 2) how is that relevant to anything anyone might say about N-O? Would it prove or disprove their arguments? The answer is 'no' so then why say it? He does it because he's petty minded so he simply cant help it.

It's just very very sad.

58648[/snapback]

What I'm getting at is that instead of worrying about whether HTT takes any pleasure in the idea this forum may not last, you should be directing your comment toward the person who started this daft thread. And also toward those who chipped in and followed up by slagging off people on another forum. It's a bit daft, don't you think? Don't you agree that this is what is petty minded?

Jesus wept tbh!

HTT, your website is actually very impressive indeed and you should be rightfully proud of 90% of it's features. I mean that sincerely. I think its developing into a brilliant resource for all things Newcastle United/Newcastle the city. The forum is also an awful lot more popular than this one going by numbers and posts.

You're also right that theres a good chance that this forum will 'die'. The place needs new posters and I think it will struggle to get them because people wont 'stumble across it' in the same way they do with N-O or the old toontastic- ie. because its just a forum and so wont have people browsing a well linked general interest website before coming across the forum inadvertently. I think thats the biggest concern I have about the new place.

I will say this however. I think that the fact that you take very obvious pleasure/comfort in the fact that toontastic might well one day fail is pretty fucking petty and childish. You know why this place was set up-you even openly admit it was as a direct result of mistakes you made in trying to impose your N-O 'brand' on people who had absolutely no affinity with it. To admit this was a mistake of your own making therefore, only then to come out with the rest of your diatribe exposes you for a pretty sad individual imho.

58624[/snapback]

By the tone of that anyone would think that HTT started the thread slagging off Toontastic.

58634[/snapback]

To be honest Sammy was responding to what HTT said in his many essay like posts on this thread. That's how I see it anyway.

58638[/snapback]

To be fair, I think HTT's 'essay' type posts were prompted by some people slagging his forum. I think you're getting a bit confused about the sequence of events here.

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

I'm not getting confused at all thanks.

58650[/snapback]

Your misdirected comments would indicate otherwise. Thanks.

Who's Sammy?

Okay, this might sound a bit patronising or something, but I genuinely couldn't give a toss.

I can’t help but think that this whole “messageboard war” thing that we've got going on here is really, REALLY pathetic. This is the internet; one of the benefits of the internet is that you (YOU!) get to chose between which sites you want to read, and which sites you don’t want to read. So basically, if you don’t like a site - or it’s users – then just don’t fucking read it.

Simple solution to a simple problem, no?

58653[/snapback]

Agreed absolutely and that of course is ultimately what will happen. Which at the risk of repeating myself, makes HTT's bickering even more sad!

58624[/snapback]

I don't take obvious pleasure/comfort with my assertion, although I can see how my comments would read like that. I was just being honest, blunt even. I've seen it many a time with small forums and if I've learned one thing with football forums in particular, they rely on new members. Without new members, the chat becomes stale, been there, done it all before, and people get bored and before you know it, one top member just disappears, then another and so on and so on and it ends up floating about in cyber space. That's what I genuinly think will happen to this forum because it's not the most appealing website to "newbies", it looks great, works fantastic, like I said it's one of the best forums I've seen, but it has a snobby, patronising, almost false kind of feel to it and I'm not the only one to comment on that.

Maybe that's just me or "us", maybe not. As ever the truth is in between.

And as a NUFC forum, a lot of fans will not settle down here or set it as their home page if you like, some will, but the vast majority won't. I like to think I understand NUFC fans, having ran Nufc.nu, HTT and now Newcastle-online. And while I probably come across as arrogant, I think I know what makes them tick, what doesn't, what they want and what they don't. Online anyway.

I hope it doesn't fade away or just die, and I mean that, not that anyone will believe me like. But I can honestly see it heading that way. Chayton and Sheargol have ran many forums no doubt, and I bet most have just fizzled out. I have too, 90% of them died despite my best efforts and large enough memberships. You can build the best site, the best forum, but it's people that make a site/forum.

ALL KINDS.

Based on some of the opinions on here, the likes of Taylor27 wouldn't be welcome on here, or would be constantly mocked etc. Hell, he's not even a member of this board, and he's being mocked. Whether he posts shit or is winding people up or not, these kind of threads on here reflect badly on this forum, it's members and it's chances of surviving to an ubiased, reading audience, or lurkers.

I know this because we've got members who come our way, after having first tried this place, deciding to stick with us. Aye there is a lot of crap, but no-one looks down on anyone, there is no gang mentality, cliques or anything like that. Just people, their opinions and a platform to voice them. I guess that's why it's so popular, despite being "shite".

I'm sure Chayton, Peasepud and Sheargol et al will work hard to keep this board alive, they already have with the games and such, but often it's the members themselves that have to work hard to keep a board going.

Anyway, that's my opinion, as a member of this forum who will continue to use it (if I'm still wanted :rolleyes:), and as someone who runs a board where some of our members also use this board, this is my genuine thoughts/advice on this place, backed up with years of experience. Trust me, it will die a death if it continues to sneer at people and other sites, especially fellow fans. If fans hate one thing, it's being ridiculed by their own. Think about it.

58652[/snapback]

Not at all, just the one fizzled out, which we gave up on pretty early. It'll be back though. ;) All of my other forums are thriving.

HTT, thanks for the concern and all that, and apologies that one of our posters thinks that one of your posters is a bit of a knob, but can we move on (for the 23927321st time)

Jesus wept tbh!

HTT, your website is actually very impressive indeed and you should be rightfully proud of 90% of it's features. I mean that sincerely. I think its developing into a brilliant resource for all things Newcastle United/Newcastle the city. The forum is also an awful lot more popular than this one going by numbers and posts.

You're also right that theres a good chance that this forum will 'die'. The place needs new posters and I think it will struggle to get them because people wont 'stumble across it' in the same way they do with N-O or the old toontastic- ie. because its just a forum and so wont have people browsing a well linked general interest website before coming across the forum inadvertently. I think thats the biggest concern I have about the new place.

58624[/snapback]

By the tone of that anyone would think that HTT started the thread slagging off Toontastic.

58634[/snapback]

To be honest Sammy was responding to what HTT said in his many essay like posts on this thread. That's how I see it anyway.

58638[/snapback]

To be fair, I think HTT's 'essay' type posts were prompted by some people slagging his forum. I think you're getting a bit confused about the sequence of events here.

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

58650[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58656[/snapback]

Then I would suggest that it is indeed you, who is confused. Thanks.

Sammy has already told you who he is. If you actually took time to read what other people type, you would have noticed that.

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

You misunderstand.

HTT's response (smugly revelling in how toontastic will die because it's cliquey/snobby etc etc) has no relevance to an opinion expressed about the quality of the N-O forum (ie about it being unmitigated shite). The quality/type/nature of posts on here have absolutely no relevance to critical observations made about the standard of the N-O forum.

I'm Sammy by the way.

58651[/snapback]

Ah! Does everybody know?

Anyway, I think you're wrong on a couple of things.

First, I don't see any sign of HTT appearing smug. That's your imagination imo.

Second, Your position on the relevance or otherwise of HTT's comments about this forum, comments that were posted in response to uncalled for criticism of his forum, makes no sense to me.

You appear to believe it's fine for people on here to slag his forum, but then you become defensive when he responds with critical comment about this forum. Why is that kind of response not relevant?

Put yourself in his position, his forum has been slagged, what do you expect him to post assuming you accept he has a right to post? Are you expecting him to sing the praises of this forum?

58654[/snapback]

I don't really care to be honest. I know within myself, that's not true and I'd hope people who knew me enough, wouldn't see it like that because I'm not like that.

I stand by all my comments and if you or anyone misreads them or misniterprets them as me wishing ill on this place, fair enough.

I won't lie, I was mighty pissed off over the 'split' but more with myself for letting it happen and to be truthful, despite how gutted I was at first, it's been a blessing in disguise (and that's not a dig at this place or anyone), it's made me change how I view N.O - for the better in my opinion.

I'm a Newcastle fan first and foremost, I have always preached from day one the importance of having many sites, many forums for NUFC fans to be able to use. Why do you think I was against any criticism of Nufc.com on N.O or other Toon sites? There has never been any criticism of this place on our forum either, not once. I certainly wouldn't be happy with that.

Anyway, think what you like. You're wrong.

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

You misunderstand.

HTT's response (smugly revelling in how toontastic will die because it's cliquey/snobby etc etc) has no relevance to an opinion expressed about the quality of the N-O forum (ie about it being unmitigated shite). The quality/type/nature of posts on here have absolutely no relevance to critical observations made about the standard of the N-O forum.

I'm Sammy by the way.

58651[/snapback]

Ah! Does everybody know?

Second, Your position on the relevance or otherwise of HTT's comments about this forum, comments that were posted in response to uncalled for criticism of his forum, makes no sense to me.

You appear to believe it's fine for people on here to slag his forum, but then you become defensive when he responds with critical comment about this forum. Why is that kind of response not relevant?

Put yourself in his position, his forum has been slagged, what do you expect him to post assuming you accept he has a right to post? Are you expecting him to sing the praises of this forum?

58663[/snapback]

He's slagged my forum though, so it's OK by you if I respond, no?

I was trying to keep the tone as matter-of-fact as possible tbh mate and I think I succeded. Dont really know what you're getting at.

And I stand by what I said regardless of who started the thread. I think in many ways the fact that he responds to comments on here makes it even more petty tbh. Whats the point in him criticising this place? I actually agree with the 'cliquey' observations but 1) thats partly his fault in causing the split and 2) how is that relevant to anything anyone might say about N-O? Would it prove or disprove their arguments? The answer is 'no' so then why say it? He does it because he's petty minded so he simply cant help it.

It's just very very sad.

58648[/snapback]

What I'm getting at is that instead of worrying about whether HTT takes any pleasure in the idea this forum may not last, you should be directing your comment toward the person who started this daft thread. And also toward those who chipped in and followed up by slagging off people on another forum. It's a bit daft, don't you think? Don't you agree that this is what is petty minded?

58655[/snapback]

We just differ in what we find entertaining I think. When someone makes a tongue in cheek comment about the quality of another poster/message board, as long as its amusing then I'll have a laugh.

Although this forum is cliquey (I've admitted as much) I also think its very self-deprecating, and I think that is healthy. Thats the sort of humour that appeals to me-I can laugh at myself basically and I dont mind other people having a laugh at me either. I know that also applies to a lot of the people who HTT is branding snobby and arrogant etc etc.

What i'm saying is HTT's responses smack of someone who cant laugh at himself. Which is simply exacerbated by the fact that he takes any observations about N-O way too personally.

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

58650[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58656[/snapback]

Sammy has already told you who he is. If you actually took time to read what other people type, you would have noticed that.

58660[/snapback]

Confused? By people on here? Ho ho.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting a bit touchy, pet? Quite a cutting remark there, if I may say so. I'm absolutely gutted that you think I don't read posts.

Ooops! Never crossed your mind that I was writing something and hadn't got to that one yet from your mate?????

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

You misunderstand.

I'm Sammy by the way.

58651[/snapback]

Ah! Does everybody know?

58663[/snapback]

Basically, to summarise....does him saying this forum is shit make his forum any less shit? Not that I'm associating myself with any of the views expressed...but that should illustrate where I'm coming from re 'relevance'.

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

58650[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58656[/snapback]

58660[/snapback]

Confused? By people on here? Ho ho.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting a bit touchy, pet? Quite a cutting remark there, if I may say so. I'm absolutely gutted that you think I don't read posts.

Ooops! Never crossed your mind that I was writing something and hadn't got to that one yet from your mate?????

58668[/snapback]

Touchy? That's bloody ironic don't you think :rolleyes:

It did cross my mind yes, but I think my observation is still probably the correct one, pet.

Hey I don't know what makes me tick I'm not Sammy :rolleyes:;)

Edited by Pilchard Chops

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

You misunderstand.

I'm Sammy by the way.

58651[/snapback]

Ah! Does everybody know?

58663[/snapback]

58665[/snapback]

What are you asking me for? Never said it wasn't ok, did I? Or are you going to show me where I did say that?

What I'm saying is, get the order right and stop laying all the blame for these criticisms on one bloke. It all began with the slagging of the NO forum, not the other way around. What do you expect someone to reply with?

BTW Despite the cliques, I think this forum is better than NO, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go around slagging the thing, or people who post on it.

58654[/snapback]

I don't really care to be honest. I know within myself, that's not true and I'd hope people who knew me enough, wouldn't see it like that because I'm not like that.

I stand by all my comments and if you or anyone misreads them or misniterprets them as me wishing ill on this place, fair enough.

I won't lie, I was mighty pissed off over the 'split' but more with myself for letting it happen and to be truthful, despite how gutted I was at first, it's been a blessing in disguise (and that's not a dig at this place or anyone), it's made me change how I view N.O - for the better in my opinion.

I'm a Newcastle fan first and foremost, I have always preached from day one the importance of having many sites, many forums for NUFC fans to be able to use. Why do you think I was against any criticism of Nufc.com on N.O or other Toon sites? There has never been any criticism of this place on our forum either, not once. I certainly wouldn't be happy with that.

58664[/snapback]

The point is though, (and the key difference) is that if there was criticism of this site on your site, I honestly couldnt give a monkeys toss! That's because I would see it as utterly fucking irrelevant to any problems with the current toontastic format.

Despite what you say HTT, it's obvious to most (be it by your words or your tone, but certainly in a clear pattern of behaviour) that you do wish this site every misfortune.

And that really is sad.

Fair do's like.

Edited by manc-mag

I'm Sammy.

58661[/snapback]

Reincarnation!

I buried you in my back garden when you failed to come out of hibernation a couple of years ago.

58670[/snapback]

Is this Sammy in question a tortoise.

We had a tortoise but when we had an extension done on the house he went missing. My sister always maintained that the fucking builder stole him. My mam and dad got divorced about 8 years later and my mam remarried a while after that.......and you'll never guess what. She only married the fucking tortoise thief! That didn't come out til after the wedding like.

It's just very very sad.

58648[/snapback]

58655[/snapback]

We just differ in what we find entertaining I think. When someone makes a tongue in cheek comment about the quality of another poster/message board, as long as its amusing then I'll have a laugh.

Although this forum is cliquey (I've admitted as much) I also think its very self-deprecating, and I think that is healthy. Thats the sort of humour that appeals to me-I can laugh at myself basically and I dont mind other people having a laugh at me either. I know that also applies to a lot of the people who HTT is branding snobby and arrogant etc etc.

What i'm saying is HTT's responses smack of someone who cant laugh at himself. Which is simply exacerbated by the fact that he takes any observations about N-O way too personally.

58667[/snapback]

I don't believe the comment was "tongue in cheek". Or the replies.

Jesus wept tbh!

58624[/snapback]

58634[/snapback]

58638[/snapback]

Who's Sammy?

58647[/snapback]

You misunderstand.

I'm Sammy by the way.

58651[/snapback]

Ah! Does everybody know?

58663[/snapback]

58665[/snapback]

What are you asking me for? Never said it wasn't ok, did I? Or are you going to show me where I did say that?

What I'm saying is, get the order right and stop laying all the blame for these criticisms on one bloke. It all began with the slagging of the NO forum, not the other way around. What do you expect someone to reply with?

BTW Despite the cliques, I think this forum is better than NO, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go around slagging the thing, or people who post on it.

58673[/snapback]

Ok, now I maybe am confused. :rolleyes:

Show me the post where I've laid any blame at HTT's feet? I've responded only to his direct mentions of my name.

Have I even agreed with the original post in this thread without me realising?

And yes, this forum is better. N-O would have been better if HTT had let me design and run it though.

;) (for HTT's benefit, not HTL's)

58654[/snapback]

58664[/snapback]

The point is though, (and the key difference) is that if there was criticism of this site on your site, I honestly couldnt give a monkeys toss! That's because I would see it as utterly fucking irrelevant to any problems with the current toontastic format.

Despite what you say HTT, it's obvious to most (be it by your words or your tone, but certainly in a clear pattern of behaviour) that you do wish this site every misfortune.

And that really is sad.

Fair do's like.

58674[/snapback]

I don't see anywhere where he has wished this site misfortune. In fact, he's said many times (on here and N/O) that the more NUFC fansites there are around the better. :rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.