Superbowl tonight

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Details, details. It turns out those widely reported stories about the 2006 World Cup final attracting one billion television viewers might have been slightly off the mark.

From the Independent:

So how many people actually watch the World Cup final live, from start to finish? According to Initiative Sports Futures, independent analysts with no ties to Fifa, the figure for the 2006 final was 260 million in the 54 key markets it surveyed, accounting for 90 per cent of the world’s TV households. ISF sources figures only from markets where data is collated electronically by reputable monitors, such as Barb in the UK.

The Independent also contacted a range of similar bodies around the world during its investigation. Allowing for the 10 per cent of TV households not monitored, and viewers in public places, the live audience could be around 400 million. But the fact is that nobody knows, for sure, above 260 million.

Also worth noting that the company that compiles the numbers that FIFA so proudly proclaims every four years has a vested interest in making the organization look attractive to potential sponsors.

The company ultimately responsible for compiling World Cup TV data is Infront Sports and Media, based in Zug, Switzerland, and whose chief executive is Philippe Blatter, nephew of Fifa’s president, Sepp Blatter. Infront also handles the global sales of World Cup TV rights.

What an interesting way to run an organization. Hire your nephew to compile the numbers that are then used to sell the television rights. Brilliant.

The bottom line to me is that we’ll never know the exact number of people who tune into the World Cup, but it is still the world’s most watched sporting event. Better estimates in the future would be nice, but the precise reach of the tournament around the world will never be truly known.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P right, i'm just making this up. I realize that you have the strength of your convictions behind your opinion that "no one watches that wank excuse for football", you just happen to be incorrect in this instance. :jesuswept:

I would never say its a wank excuse for football is it can't even begin to be compared. It's a wank excuse for rugby.

Details, details. It turns out those widely reported stories about the 2006 World Cup final attracting one billion television viewers might have been slightly off the mark.

From the Independent:

So how many people actually watch the World Cup final live, from start to finish? According to Initiative Sports Futures, independent analysts with no ties to Fifa, the figure for the 2006 final was 260 million in the 54 key markets it surveyed, accounting for 90 per cent of the world’s TV households. ISF sources figures only from markets where data is collated electronically by reputable monitors, such as Barb in the UK.

The Independent also contacted a range of similar bodies around the world during its investigation. Allowing for the 10 per cent of TV households not monitored, and viewers in public places, the live audience could be around 400 million. But the fact is that nobody knows, for sure, above 260 million.

Also worth noting that the company that compiles the numbers that FIFA so proudly proclaims every four years has a vested interest in making the organization look attractive to potential sponsors.

The company ultimately responsible for compiling World Cup TV data is Infront Sports and Media, based in Zug, Switzerland, and whose chief executive is Philippe Blatter, nephew of Fifa’s president, Sepp Blatter. Infront also handles the global sales of World Cup TV rights.

What an interesting way to run an organization. Hire your nephew to compile the numbers that are then used to sell the television rights. Brilliant.

The bottom line to me is that we’ll never know the exact number of people who tune into the World Cup, but it is still the world’s most watched sporting event. Better estimates in the future would be nice, but the precise reach of the tournament around the world will never be truly known.

Complete bollocks again apart from the bit I've bolded. It's a minority non event sport, why can't you accept it and move on with your life, no one knows anything about it. As I said if England played Brazil in the final, it would be the biggest watched even in human history, without any doubt at all.

Serioulsy lads all american sports are shit.

Goes without saying and anyone who GENUINELY likes them is a total cunt by definition. No one can enjoy them surely?? Saying you enjoy that is like you enjoy getting your teeth pulled out without anaesthetic.

beach volleyball?....in particular female beach volleyball......although it was probably the brazillians that came up with that one.

:D right, i'm just making this up. I realize that you have the strength of your convictions behind your opinion that "no one watches that wank excuse for football", you just happen to be incorrect in this instance. :P

I would never say its a wank excuse for football is it can't even begin to be compared. It's a wank excuse for rugby.

:jesuswept:

Goes without saying and anyone who GENUINELY likes them is a total cunt by definition. No one can enjoy them surely?? Saying you enjoy that is like you enjoy getting your teeth pulled out without anaesthetic.

Goes without saying. Infact some Uni or other should do research into the saddo's who watch this shit...Probably some kind of syndrome or other.. :jesuswept:

Goes without saying. Infact some Uni or other should do research into the saddo's who watch this shit...Probably some kind of syndrome or other.. :jesuswept:

I bet there's a higher percentage of paedo's watch them than those who don't. Convinced of it. Wrong uns.

I bet there's a higher percentage of paedo's watch them than those who don't. Convinced of it. Wrong uns.

:P ...now you're just takin the piss

I'm with you on the "american" sports but don't mess with ice hockey alright......it's brilliant and if you aren't a fan you just haven't watched enough.

I'm with you on the "american" sports but don't mess with ice hockey alright......it's brilliant and if you aren't a fan you just haven't watched enough.

Puffs :D

If you look past Americans, as they're the most plastic humans on earth, largely with thought process problems, anyone from a top country outside of America like this one, has to have some disturbing mental defect to appreciate this sport. I mean that. Canada as I've discussed we class that as America anyway so you fall in to that category, so I mean outside North America.

I've seen worse sports than icehockey, but you don't get any coverage here at all, Whitley Bay had a team in the 1980s they were good too.

Goes without saying. Infact some Uni or other should do research into the saddo's who watch this shit...Probably some kind of syndrome or other.. :P

:D ...now you're just takin the piss

If you look past Americans, as they're the most plastic humans on earth, largely with thought process problems, anyone from a top country outside of America like this one, has to have some disturbing mental defect to appreciate this sport. I mean that. Canada as I've discussed we class that as America anyway so you fall in to that category, so I mean outside North America.

I've seen worse sports than icehockey, but you don't get any coverage here at all, Whitley Bay had a team in the 1980s they were good too.

YOU BASTARD!!!!......same as me calling you a mackem IMO. I mean you're both from the northeast right. same thing really..... :jesuswept: .

as far as hockey goes it's great to watch on TV, it's even better live and when a fight breaks out it's like being out at the bar(pub). coverage is as good as you are willing to pay for i guess , i'm pretty sure you could get an NHL package on satellite.

Think Stevie nails this one

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/world-w...er-bowl-3348334

I get the impression it was bigger with folks in this country when it was on channel 4 in the 80s

My ex was one of them....Dallas Cowboys fan.She was dead keen like, knew all the rules, had her mates tape the games she didnt see becasue she didnt have sky. She went to the first Wembley game a couple of years ago. She said it was full of folk just like her. Then the cowboys quarterback got jailed for illegal dogfights. Imagine what the Daily Mail wouldve said if John Terry had been doing that..... :jesuswept:

Think Stevie nails this one

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/world-w...er-bowl-3348334

I get the impression it was bigger with folks in this country when it was on channel 4 in the 80s

My ex was one of them....Dallas Cowboys fan.She was dead keen like, knew all the rules, had her mates tape the games she didnt see becasue she didnt have sky. She went to the first Wembley game a couple of years ago. She said it was full of folk just like her. Then the cowboys quarterback got jailed for illegal dogfights. Imagine what the Daily Mail wouldve said if John Terry had been doing that..... :jesuswept:

Last year's Super Bowl was watched by a global audience of 162 million but the vast majority of those tuning in were in the United States with neighbours Canada and Mexico the next biggest markets.

say 110 million in the US.

about 6 million people watch in Canada say double that in Mexico (110 million population vs. 32 million) that still leaves 30 million people ouside north america......but i take your point it is a NA phenomenon.

Hardly can even be called a sport. With the amount of padding they wear there's almost no athletic activity involved. Just a bunch of fat bastards ramming into each other and one fast white guy hoying it up to one fast black guy. They have "special teams" such as a kicker who's brought on only to kick and who can spend less than 5 minutes of a 3-hour game on the pitch.

Then there's the reason why it's 3 hours long - because the clock stops. I have no time for games where the clock stops.

Hardly can even be called a sport. With the amount of padding they wear there's almost no athletic activity involved. Just a bunch of fat bastards ramming into each other and one fast white guy hoying it up to one fast black guy. They have "special teams" such as a kicker who's brought on only to kick and who can spend less than 5 minutes of a 3-hour game on the pitch.

Then there's the reason why it's 3 hours long - because the clock stops. I have no time for games where the clock stops.

It's a silly game whichever way you look at it. :jesuswept:

If the clock stops, the no-one has any time.

matrix_spoon_boy.jpg

What about a game that has scheduled meal breaks, lasts five days sometimes, and can still be a draw? That's pretty popular too.

I remember explaining cricket to an American shortly after the home series against South Africa in 2003 (five tests, 2-2 with one draw). He was gobsmacked that you could play a sport for the best part of a month and still not emerge with a winner. :jesuswept: