Superbowl tonight

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Then there's the reason why it's 3 hours long - because the clock stops. I have no time for games where the clock stops.

What about a game that has scheduled meal breaks, lasts five days sometimes, and can still be a draw? That's pretty popular too.

Aye but it aint watched by wronguns in London bedsits (and I aint on about the fish).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's the reason why it's 3 hours long - because the clock stops. I have no time for games where the clock stops.

What about a game that has scheduled meal breaks, lasts five days sometimes, and can still be a draw? That's pretty popular too.

Aye but it aint watched by wronguns in London bedsits (and I aint on about the fish).

:jesuswept:

:jesuswept:

I admit to favoring ODIs and Twenty20 but there's a certain beauty to test cricket that can't easily be explained. Would never succeed here - Americans can't understand the concept of "draws" - but it's an elegant game with a lot of strategy.

Ice hockey is all right.

American football, Baseball and basketball are too long, too dull and too full of themselves.

This.

Although, in the interest of full disclosure, the NBA was cool to watch until all the kids started leaving college early and half of the teams in the league essentially became development teams that paid kids millions to throw up bricks for 3-5 years while they matured physically and mentally (see also: Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett), if ever (see also: Allen Iverson).

Baseball wasn't bad when I was a kid. Since the strike of '94, I just don't have that kind of free time anymore- too long of a season, games take forever, and it's too expensive to watch live if you follow a decent team. You think American football takes a long time... sheesh. That shit goes on forever.

American football is what it is- it was created to make dough. The league was constructed around some very well thought out ideals and marketing strategies. It has relatively short season so more people follow it because it's less of a committment. Owners forced a miminum age requirement on the player's union so they can't leave college early which gets them out of the NBA's mistake of no development league and owners who can't control themselves. There's a TON of stoppage in the games that you all have mentioned largely to provide plenty of opportunity to get 15 and 30 second commerical spots providing revenue for the networks who pay the king's ransom to broadcast NFL games.

That being said, I'd have a hard time allowing my kid to play organized American football. I know so many people (remember the guy who went to the U.S. World Cup Qualifier with me? The Glazer lookalike?) I went to school with that have needed knee surgeries because they played football in high school. High school. We're not talking pros here or even college. FFS, the only reason my knee is fucked is because I got it caught in some of our equipment a couple of years ago. Glazer had knee surgery because he played running back in high school.

I've always thought American Football was too much about a player like the wide receiver getting the ball with his blind side to a player who could then smash the poor unwitting bloke with all their might just so the crowds could jizz over some big impact. No wonder their careers tend to be so short. Don't get me wrong, I love a 50-50 in football but that's much fairer iyam.

I've always thought American Football was too much about a player like the wide receiver getting the ball with his blind side to a player who could then smash the poor unwitting bloke with all their might just so the crowds could jizz over some big impact. No wonder their careers tend to be so short. Don't get me wrong, I love a 50-50 in football but that's much fairer iyam.

There's a lot of truth to that, Alex. Don't even get me started on NASCAR and why people watch that. lol...

I'm the same way- contact has it's place in a game- again, I'm a huge hockey fan. But there's being a willing combatant and the victim of a drive-by. There's no honor in being the victim (or the perpetrator) of a drive-by.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

On a semi related note, how shit is rugby? I was at Twickenham on Saturday for the England Wales game, and dear me what a boring pile of shite. What really underlines how crap it is is that they do the thing that in football says 'hello, we're a bunch of fucking small time nobodies' by playing of music when they score tries. I've just now on MOTD seen Wolves use the exact same song when they score! Fucking Wolves man! And this is meant to be an international game!

On a semi related note, how shit is rugby? I was at Twickenham on Saturday for the England Wales game, and dear me what a boring pile of shite. What really underlines how crap it is is that they do the thing that in football says 'hello, we're a bunch of fucking small time nobodies' by playing of music when they score tries. I've just now on MOTD seen Wolves use the exact same song when they score! Fucking Wolves man! And this is meant to be an international game!

International rugby's duller than it used to be though. Every team's like England when Rob Andrews' played - half the game is spent kicking the ball back and forth or trying to win penalties and kick on goal. Plus they've changed the rules so there's less violence in forward play and there's much more emphasis on technical elements and set pieces (Allardyce would love it). So I suppose they have to have gimmicks like music to keep the crowd amused.

Rugby is shite, seen club and country live and on tv and have yet to be Interested in it at all. There's no evidence of indvidual skill or game changing moments. It's 15 grunting Ruperts rushing back and forth for 80 minutes.

Rugby is shite, seen club and country live and on tv and have yet to be Interested in it at all. There's no evidence of indvidual skill or game changing moments. It's 15 grunting Ruperts rushing back and forth for 80 minutes.

Until they do away with the ruck (for which the rules grow ever longer and less comprehensible - a sure sign that sommat is broken) rugby is just going to go from bad to worse

American football is just too long with too many stoppages

Basketball is ridiculous - too easy to score and you only need to watch the last 2-3 minutes

Baseball and Ice Hockey are good to watch IMHO

Rugby League is much better less of the pomp and public school nonsense and much less punting it backwards and forwards. There's something quite impressive about seeing a guy pick up the ball, look up and see six giants bearing down on him and him thinking 'fuck it, I could take these' and running at full pelt into them. Living in Leeds I'm fortunate that the Rhinos are on my doorstep - I usually enjoy the grand final but forget about rugby league until the next one.

I prefer Rugby Union (only really watch internationals and I wouldn't say I was a massive fan or owt) although it does suffer from being so complicated at times that you'll have an experienced commentator and a summariser who is an ex-England player who can't explain why the ref just gave a decision. I.e. not just a case of a mistake being made but more being unable to tell how he's interpreted the latest rule change. I like the honest physicality of the game though.

Aussie rules football. Now there's a game I can't stand. With any luck you don't get it in the UK.

Was on Channel 4 for a while if you remember when (after the success of American Football) they tried other sports like, for example, Kabbadi :lol:

Aussie rules football. Now there's a game I can't stand. With any luck you don't get it in the UK.

Was on Channel 4 for a while if you remember when (after the success of American Football) they tried other sports like, for example, Kabbadi :lol:

Kabbadi? :lol: I remember some baffling game involving Indian blokes in a circle playing tag. It was still better than Aussie rules, mind you.

Kabbadi? :rolleyes:I remember some baffling game involving Indian blokes in a circle playing tag. It was still better than Aussie rules, mind you.

That's the fella. :lol:

Kabbadi? :rolleyes:I remember some baffling game involving Indian blokes in a circle playing tag. It was still better than Aussie rules, mind you.

That's the fella. :lol:

Wasn't there hurley too or whatever you call the irish hockey?

Edited by Kitman

That's the fella. :rolleyes:

Aye I think you might be right. Hurling, also popular across the UK on a Friday and Saturday night :lol:

That's the fella. :rolleyes:

Aye I think you might be right. Hurling, also popular across the UK on a Friday and Saturday night :lol:

:icon_lol:

I prefer Rugby Union (only really watch internationals and I wouldn't say I was a massive fan or owt) although it does suffer from being so complicated at times that you'll have an experienced commentator and a summariser who is an ex-England player who can't explain why the ref just gave a decision. I.e. not just a case of a mistake being made but more being unable to tell how he's interpreted the latest rule change. I like the honest physicality of the game though.

Much prefer union, but you're right, i've watched it since i was a kid and you still can't know all the rules and interpretations of them. But league is just guys running into a line of the opposition, taken down, back heel the ball and run into the line again and again. No competetive scrums, no rucks or mauls, no tactical kicking, lineouts or anything like that. Don't get me wrong the league players are admirable in their athletisism, strength, stamina and guts but the game isn't a patch on union.

But as somebody said earlier union is currently suffering from some rule changes which massively favour defences when a player is grounded and its lead to teams not risking playing and so kicking far too much.

Also Brian Moore is probably my favourite co-comentator of any sport!

Much prefer union, but you're right, i've watched it since i was a kid and you still can't know all the rules and interpretations of them. But league is just guys running into a line of the opposition, taken down, back heel the ball and run into the line again and again. No competetive scrums, no rucks or mauls, no tactical kicking, lineouts or anything like that. Don't get me wrong the league players are admirable in their athletisism, strength, stamina and guts but the game isn't a patch on union.

But as somebody said earlier union is currently suffering from some rule changes which massively favour defences when a player is grounded and its lead to teams not risking playing and so kicking far too much.

And Bill McLaren is a sad loss.

Did you read about his 'Gollumesque' psychological problems? In the Sunday Times a few weeks back I think. Weird shit, but still seemed a canny bloke, regardless.