Screen burn-in

Meenzer

I've had a nifty little Samsung netbook since shortly before Christmas and it has made me a very happy bunny. On booting it up today, however, all of a sudden there's an ugly case of what I can only describe as "burn-in" - more specifically, there's an uneven band of 5-15 black pixels around the bottom and right-hand edges of the screen. For want of a better comparison, it looks like the effect you get when you burn a piece of paper for a few seconds.

Not particularly useful from a tech support perspective, I know. But anyway: without expecting anyone to be able to solve my specific woes, when this kind of thing happens generally, is there any way of resolving it or am I looking at invoking the warranty ASAP?

Be interesting to see if they'll fix it under warranty. My guess is that, unless they're an extremely generous outfit, they'll simply claim you should have had your screensaver running more.

Screenburn is even more nastier in LCD than CRT - the systems monitoring units we have at work are seriously fucked.

"Burn-in" (or indeed "bum-in") was a bit of a misnomer, I suppose dead pixels is more the phrase I was looking for. Took this with my rubbish mobile but you get the idea. In fact, looking at this again it's clearly utterly fucked, isn't it? :jesuswept:

2d82ipl.jpg

Edited by Meenzer

If you hang fire Martin I've got a link at work for cheap LCD screens but I'm away from the office all week. You'll need to fit it yourself mind but the screens are about £80-90 for a 15" widescreen screen.

Cool. Going to chase up the return/warranty thing via Amazon/the manufacturer now - just wanted to see if there was anything obvious I was missing first. I'll let yous know how it goes... Thanks all.

Have you heard anything back yet?

Since you have not had it that long I would like to think they would fix it. I can't see how you could have done this yourself or prevented it like.

They've directed me to some kind of authorised repair place in North Lahndan, though obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to repair it. Fingers crossed though.

Cheers for that Craig, will take a look!

• 5 months later...
Guest ScreamoonW

I hear no posting sounds, and yes, mashed the F keys. I dont know which screen to hit for vga though as its always done it by itself. That, and it doesnt display anything to begin with. Its just a black screen, though the hdd is being used.