Newcastle wage shock

Barney

Danny Guthrie has exposed the massive gulf in players’ wages at table topping Newcastle United.

The midfielder was forced to reveal in court this week that he earned £4,000 a week.

And that means it takes him FIVE MONTHS to earn what Argentine defender Fabricio Coloccini banks in a week.

Guthrie had to go public with his pay packet after being caught for speeding. He was fined £500 and given four points on his licence, after magistrates demanded to know how much he earned and spent. His outgoings were said to be £6,000 a month.

The huge disparity in pay levels between first team stars at St James’s Park means that Coloccini, signed for £12million from Deportivo La Coruna on £80,000 a week, and Guthrie are worlds apart in terms of earnings - but still expected to do a job to get United promoted.

Newcastle have slashed their wage bill this season from touching £80million to less than £40million by selling some high earners. But they had no relegation clauses to cut wages and protect themselves against the drop last summer.

Boss Chris Hughton has admitted that despite the cuts Newcastle still carry a “massive“ wage bill compared with their Championship rivals.

Guthrie says his only concern is to win a regular starting berth for the Geordies, including against Derby tonight, after an excellent performance against Cardiff.

He said: “I’m a far more mature player than I was when I came to Newcastle. You benefit from every experience, good and bad. I’ve just grown up a lot over the last couple of years. I’ve had a couple of seasons now of regular first team football and I’m a better player for that.

“I’ve never really been one for the wild life off the pitch. There isn’t anything about my lifestyle which is too crazy, but on the pitch I’ve developed and matured. I’m 22 and I’m starting to grow up and develop. There is a side to my game I didn’t have when I came here and that’s because of the experience I’ve gained.

“Liverpool gave me a great foundation. It’s a great club. They show you the right way to play football, you’re given a platform, but I’ve only really developed at Newcastle because I’m playing first team football. I’ve got a different mentality now, you can’t learn that as a kid. You’re always told about a stage in your career where you start to mature and I think I’ve just reached that stage.

“But I got the chance against Cardiff to play back in the middle and I really enjoyed it. The thing is , we’ve had Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith in there for most of the season and they’ve done really well, but I do think I can offer something different. It’s the manager’s decision at the end of the day.

“I’ll be disappointed if I don’t keep my place there. There will be a bit of a strop if I don’t play there, but there are a lot of games coming up and the manager has some tough decisions to make.

“I think a more open style does suit my style of play, but we are still learning about this league and what it takes to win games. Everyone wants to play the nice football and that suits me, but some games it’s about grinding a win out.

“Some games are just a battle in this league and I think that’s something we have adapted to really well. I think a lot of people thought we would struggle to cope with that side of it because we’ve been known as a good footballing side.

“Cardiff came here and tried to play football and sometimes that helps us. In those sorts of games we can go and do that to teams, but it isn’t going to be like that every week.

“It helps being at home. Our pitch is good and it’s big, we’ve also got our fans behind us and that helps us play a more expansive game. It proved that we can go out and Total Football teams, but there are still going to be games, esp away from home against the so called lesser teams, when we are going to have to grind it out and win whatever way we can.”.

Simon Bird article

I'm not bothered that Guthrie earns such a 'pittance'. It's a shame Collo is on such big wages. But maybe the squad should have a look at what Forest's players earn? Or what Hull's players earn?

I'd love to see players pay based more on performance. It'd never happen though due too way too many reasons.

Hardly a shock even if it is true - It was known that Coloccini was one of the highest earners last season with no clause in his contract for a reduction after relegation.

There’s no way he’s only on £4k a week.

Revealed under a court order. He is basically.

Wonder if this court order asked for Colo's wages too :jesuswept:

The worst isn't what Collocini is on, the fact Barton is rumoured to be on 60 grand a week, barely plays and acts like a nutter is far worse imo.

Wonder if this court order asked for Colo's wages too :P

Doesnt change what Guthrie is on though does it?

Never said it did :jesuswept: My comment was a dig at the article, not your comment btw

Wonder if this court order asked for Colo's wages too :D

Doesnt change what Guthrie is on though does it?

Never said it did :jesuswept: My comment was a dig at the article, not your comment btw

:P

his basic might be 4k. and at least 20k bonuses - apearance 10k, goal scoring 10k, winning team 5k.

ive seen loads of players contracts and they are all on about 20k basic with laods of bonuses. he wudnt have to declare performance releated bonuses to court

his basic might be 4k. and at least 20k bonuses - apearance 10k, goal scoring 10k, winning team 5k.

ive seen loads of players contracts and they are all on about 20k basic with laods of bonuses. he wudnt have to declare performance releated bonuses to court

This, especially as his out-goings are £6k, so it doesn't add up.

I can't see Coloccini being on £80k though.

This, especially as his out-goings are £6k, so it doesn't add up.

I can't see Coloccini being on £80k though.

6k a month though.

I'm a right in thinking players still get win bonus even if they don't play...

yeh, if you believe that article to be true.

The stuff about Colo is more than likely pulled out of his ass but reporting a court ruling doesnt leave much for interpretation.

so journos always report the facts when they have them?

In fairness Guthrie could possibly be cheeky quoting his wages nett rather than gross, after deducting tax, agents cut, etc.

It has been ‘reported’ previously that none of the players had reduced wages in their contracts because of relegation, including Nolan and R Taylor — the last 2 players in.

How the feck could we have afforded to pay 80k a week on collocini? Even if we had stayed up, that's ridiculous. We haven't had champions league income for years. Where was the money coming from ?

If they put one fact in an article it doesn't mean the rest isn't completely made up nonsense. Fat chance that Coloccini is on anywhere near 80k.

If they put one fact in an article it doesn't mean the rest isn't completely made up nonsense. Fat chance that Coloccini is on anywhere near 80k.

Taking into account what his agent gets as part of it all, it's £80k.

Why? Id think its pretty close to that amount tbh

Based on what? Media bullshit? ...cause I'm still waiting on Ashley's 50 million pound 'war chest' to open.

Can someone spike Coloccini's gatorade so we can find out for sure what he's on....