Goodbye Portsmouth

Christmas Tree

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystic Fish predicts a stay of execution. Either the PL will give them an extension somehow, the IR will relax their rules in this instance citing administrative requirements that will take time, a financier will invest the owed money, or Mike Ashley will buy them and fuck off out of Newcastle.

Mystic Fish predicts a stay of execution. Either the PL will give them an extension somehow, the IR will relax their rules in this instance citing administrative requirements that will take time, a financier will invest the owed money, or Mike Ashley will buy them and fuck off out of Newcastle.

There is zero chance of HMRC relenting. If anything, breaking a PL club will give the message to clubs at all levels that they mean business when it comes to unpaid tax.

I don't really see much of a way out as clearly no-one fancies buying them as a business.

Interesting how the fans haven't been clubbing together in an attempt to take over the club and pay off the outstanding debts. If they care that much about the club, you'd think there'd been a bit more of a public effort, rather than waiting for another white knight.

There is zero chance of HMRC relenting. If anything, breaking a PL club will give the message to clubs at all levels that they mean business when it comes to unpaid tax.

I don't really see much of a way out as clearly no-one fancies buying them as a business.

Interesting how the fans haven't been clubbing together in an attempt to take over the club and pay off the outstanding debts. If they care that much about the club, you'd think there'd been a bit more of a public effort, rather than waiting for another white knight.

The wider football community should have a whip round to pay to see that old wifey's bell shoved up that goon's (you know the fella) arse. That would raise a tidy sum - probably enough to pay HMRC. Sorted.

EDIT: Make it a Sky PPV event.

Edited by snakehips

If Pompey were to go quietly into the night, purely hypothetically, how should the Premier League resolve their unfulfilled games? Do they award 3points arbitrarily? Or 1? Or remove all points gained from Pompey for all teams? Have any teams already played them twice? Etcetera etcetera etcetera?

In the midst of life we are in debt, etc.

I think the way that Portsmouth have gone about things in recent years should act as a warning to other clubs - how Pompey can offer £80k a week wages when they get less than 20k fans to a game is ridiculous. There are some interesting comments in this article from Phil Brown and Mick McCarthy where they say their negotiations with players were blown out of the water by massive wage offers from Pompey - and these are most likely for some distinctly average footballers.

Glad that the clown who bought Pompey and claimed he told us to fuck off when he was told the asking price was £400m didn't buy us - yes.

Wasn't he just fronting a bid for the same people that bought Man City?

Different clown I think. This bloke showed interest in us when Ashley put us up for sale post-KK.

Man City had already been sold by then.

Speak of the devil......

Portsmouth chairman Al Fahim 'facing arrest warrant'

An arrest warrant has been issued in Dubai for the Portsmouth chairman and former owner Sulaiman Al Fahim, according to reports.

The warrant relates to a disputed property deal with Al Fahim allegedly owing a sum of £1.4m.

The 32-year-old - who retains a 10% share in Portsmouth - claims he is not liable for the debt.

"I have done nothing wrong, I am not involved," he was quoted as telling a United Arab Emirates newspaper.

Al Fahim completed a buy-out of Portsmouth in August last year, taking over from previous owner Alexandre Gaydamak, but sold to Saudi business tycoon Ali Al Faraj six weeks later on 6 October.

In an unrelated matter, cash-strapped Portsmouth will appear in the High Court on Wednesday as they try to ensure their survival.

Portsmouth - who have reported debts of £60m - survived a winding-up order last week on the condition that they provided a detailed statement of their finances.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/8519941.stm

As I understand it there won't be a decision today, they have until 4pm to deliver an update to the court on how they plan to pay their debts.

Indeed. They'll submit a full statement today but don't face the winding up petition until 1st March.

Is O'Hara Pompey's player? I'd love to have him at the club

No, just on loan, as are five of their regulars. The thing is, there really isn't much money to be made out of that team at all, the only player that they own, that is half decent and not ancient is Kevin Prince Boatang and I think he's already played for two clubs this year and can't be transferred again. Still I'd imagine they're just trying to get the high earners off the wage bill.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Anyway, they can go and fuck themselves. There is no way this will be allowed, because if they do the whole transfer window business will be dead in the water imo.

The transfer window is a pain in the arse, but at least we know that when the window closes we wont have any of our 'stars' (chortle) being sold.

Think this would be extreme circumstances like. Who do they have left to sell bar James? and he is far to old to go to arsenal.

But that's just it. What constitutes 'extreme circumstances' for the future? As soon as clubs realised they were going to end up 'mid table' and safe, they would be claiming 'extreme circumstances' in order to get players sold to make their books balance.