Goodbye Portsmouth

Christmas Tree

I imagine the PL will bail Pompey out. The administrative nightmare they'd have if they went into liquidation I think will sway them.

Would they want to set that sort of precedent though?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine the PL will bail Pompey out. The administrative nightmare they'd have if they went into liquidation I think will sway them.

I dunno it's a useful point for discussion. If they did proceed, on the one hand they are setting a dangerous precedent but on the other they'd have a 20 team league with only 19 teams in it. Hard to call.

I dunno it's a useful point for discussion. If they did proceed, on the one hand they are setting a dangerous precedent but on the other they'd have a 20 team league with only 19 teams in it. Hard to call.

so void all the games and re-jig the leagues with the football league during off season

so void all the games and re-jig the leagues with the football league during off season

Loss of revenue for the league would be immense. And not only from TV either.

Agree with Alex that they're not getting any special treatment either. There's no precedent so we can't talk about double standards.

Isn't there some legal obligation whereby they have to be offered a determined period of time to come up with necessary paperwork hence it looks like an extension?

I seem to remember something along those lines with when Donnington Park were claiming they were offered more time to come up with the cash for the British GP. They weren't offered more time, it was simply a contractual clause that they were exercising...

hes at portsmouth isnt he, in fact he joined them when it was well established they were in trouble

assuming they get dumped why shouldn't we try?

I'm aware it wont happen but I want it to

On the original topic: I have an in-law that works for the inland revenue on the corporate side down in Portsmouth, I wonder if he has anything to do with this? To add to the conspiracy... he happens to be a tottenham supporter.

On Stevie: It's a shame he is gone, will someone take his place and be more anti-American? I think I will miss that the most...

Between now and next Friday, someone new will have bought the club (the fifth this season??)

If not, the rich bloke (Balram Chainrai) that's loaning them money (and is owed a great deal from them) will inject just enough to keep them afloat.

Don't think administration will happen as Chainrai would not want to not receive all the money he's owed. (The double negative is intentional.)

While I've nothing against Pompey, I kind of wish they would sink. I think it would bring about a big change in the spending culture of the EPL. I think that teams would be forced to only spend a certain fraction of their income on players. Also, salary caps may finally be introduced.

It would certainly be a wake-up call!

Very good point!

Edited by dbsweeney

@ the OP, yes, I think it could have been us. Pretty scary tbf. No matter what you think, like or dislike about their club, its a sad state when they get dragged down to this, and potentially oblivion due to some foreign owener fancying a play thing or the latest fad. I think many clubs could be on the brink, and many you would not reaslise. all it takes is for the owner to have financial issues and need to use his cash elsewhere. The clubs are hardly their priority.

@ the OP, yes, I think it could have been us. Pretty scary tbf. No matter what you think, like or dislike about their club, its a sad state when they get dragged down to this, and potentially oblivion due to some foreign owener fancying a play thing or the latest fad. I think many clubs could be on the brink, and many you would not reaslise. all it takes is for the owner to have financial issues and need to use his cash elsewhere. The clubs are hardly their priority.

What the fuck has any of that got to do with Stevie?

England keeper David James and the rest of his Portsmouth team-mates will be up for grabs if the club goes bust.

The Pompey stars can find new homes immediately should the Premier League strugglers be forced into liquidation by the tax man.

James and fellow wanted men in Avram Grant's side will be free agents when their pay cheques stop - and can move despite the FIFA transfer window being shut.

And that would start a mad scramble by Premier sides to pick on the Pompey carcass if they become the first top-flight club to disappear.

If the Inland Revenue step in and take charge they will obviously look to cancel contracts, but that also means giving up the rights to any transfer fees - so it becomes a free for all.

The historic move by the tax man has shaken football and threatens to rip up a few rule books. One top Premier League official said last night: "This means that all of football's artificial laws will be changed.

"Clubs and players have been protected in the past as 'football creditors' were always paid first when they went into administration. But that goes out of the window with liquidation."

James would be one of the first to be snapped up. However his hopes of getting a £50,000-a-week deal anywhere else would be remote in the extreme.

Other fancied players will hope to find ready-made homes. Young centre half Marc Wilson has his admirers, while Algerian internationals Hassan Yebda and Nadir Belhadj will want clubs before the build-up to the World Cup - and a clash with England.

Midfielder Jamie O'Hara will be returned to Tottenham, his parent club, although he could yet be loaned out to a Championship side if he wants first-team football.

However on-loan pair Aruna Dindane and Frederic Piquionne are in even more complicated positions. Dindane is on loan from French club Lens while his strike partner is on loan from Lyon.

would we go for any of their players?

I guess we could feed off scraps, any that were not picked up by other prem teams. No one springs to mind that would be left that we would benefit from. Unless perhaps any loan signing they had thats returned.

I guess we could feed off scraps, any that were not picked up by other prem teams. No one springs to mind that would be left that we would benefit from. Unless perhaps any loan signing they had thats returned.

thats what I was thinking, there were rumours of o'hara in jan I think, i'd be happy with that

but like you say its hard to think of many more that would benefit us other than a few who would be right to PL clubs

no wonder they're at the bottom of the league

I think the thread is being cleaned and posts relating to the 'other goodbye' are being moved - hence my now out of context reply.

Back on topic - Portsmouth being wound up before the end of the season would cause all kinds of problems for the PL. I heard that if they make their games null, Liverpool would jump to 3rd as all the other teams in the top 4 would lose 3 pts (the scouser lost to pompy). There's also the loss of tv revenue etc to those teams that are yet to play pompy.

Shame for the fans though, no one deserves this.

I think the thread is being cleaned and posts relating to the 'other goodbye' are being moved - hence my now out of context reply.

Back on topic - Portsmouth being wound up before the end of the season would cause all kinds of problems for the PL. I heard that if they make their games null, Liverpool would jump to 3rd as all the other teams in the top 4 would lose 3 pts (the scouser lost to pompy). There's also the loss of tv revenue etc to those teams that are yet to play pompy.

Shame for the fans though, no one deserves this.

Yes, yes, you say all that, but would it adversely affect the idiots from down the road??????

Kevin Prince Boatang looks good at times, would be good enough on a free.