Goodbye Portsmouth

Christmas Tree

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would we go for any of their players?

I guess we could feed off scraps, any that were not picked up by other prem teams. No one springs to mind that would be left that we would benefit from. Unless perhaps any loan signing they had thats returned.

Kevin Prince Boatang looks good at times, would be good enough on a free.

maybe, seems to have a bad attitude to me but hes not a bad player

would we go for any of their players?

I guess we could feed off scraps, any that were not picked up by other prem teams. No one springs to mind that would be left that we would benefit from. Unless perhaps any loan signing they had thats returned.

Kevin Prince Boatang looks good at times, would be good enough on a free.

maybe, seems to have a bad attitude to me but hes not a bad player

Seriously, we do not want a player called bloody Prince!

Can't imagine Pompey will go under, someone will bail them out the comparatively small sum. Like has been said, the chap lending them money will want his loan back at some point and would probably ether fork out another few million if it reduces the likelihood of him losing all of his investment.

I imagine the PL will bail Pompey out. The administrative nightmare they'd have if they went into liquidation I think will sway them.

Would they want to set that sort of precedent though?

Going back to this one Alex, do you think they'd want to set a precendent of letting a club in their league go under??

On reflection, it's very much a catch 22 position IMO

I imagine the PL will bail Pompey out. The administrative nightmare they'd have if they went into liquidation I think will sway them.

Would they want to set that sort of precedent though?

Going back to this one Alex, do you think they'd want to set a precendent of letting a club in their league go under??

On reflection, it's very much a catch 22 position IMO

Does the Premier League (as an organisation) have the kind of resources to bail out a struggling club anyway?

thing is its not the PLs responsibility to manage the finance of the clubs therein

it would set a worse precedent if they were to help, further immunity and priveleges for the "elite"

who will become the team to take their place? will it be us? WBA? Notts? Boro(probably not)?

I don't think they'll go under. Their backers are more likely to get their money back if they're sold as a going concern.

If Pompey were to go quietly into the night, purely hypothetically, how should the Premier League resolve their unfulfilled games? Do they award 3points arbitrarily? Or 1? Or remove all points gained from Pompey for all teams? Have any teams already played them twice? Etcetera etcetera etcetera?

The latest talk is that Pompey will be given their 11 million parachute plan early from the PL ... but won't that just leave them fucked for when they're in the CCC? Just prolonging the inevitable, I think.

While I've nothing against Pompey, I kind of wish they would sink. I think it would bring about a big change in the spending culture of the EPL. I think that teams would be forced to only spend a certain fraction of their income on players. Also, salary caps may finally be introduced.

It would certainly be a wake-up call!

If Pompey were to go quietly into the night, purely hypothetically, how should the Premier League resolve their unfulfilled games? Do they award 3points arbitrarily? Or 1? Or remove all points gained from Pompey for all teams? Have any teams already played them twice? Etcetera etcetera etcetera?

It's this complexity that's making it likely that the PL will give them their parachute early.

They're going to the 19 other clubs to get their approval about the 11 mil.

If they do dissolve, all points will be redistributed as if the Pompey games were never played.

The changes are reasonably subtantial; for example, Manure would now be 6 points behind Chelsea. Other 'big' clubs would be affected in similar ways. Because of these points changes, I can see the other clubs agreeing to give the parachute payment, for fear of what otherwise would occur.

What the hell Pompey then do after using all the parachute payment to pay debts, who knows?? Die in the CCC, turn into the 'new Leeds' ... or wait for a knight in shining armour.

They'd probably have to do what Leeds did. Gut the club to clear debts. Play youngsters/loanees until they're debt free and then see where they are try again with a new 'model'.

T feels terrible typing words like that in regards to a footy club, but it's reality these days.

That was going to be my next point Fish. You can see it ending up in court if they award an arbitrary 3 points to teams who are yet to play them. It'd be a fucking mess.

And what happens for the players that had people sent off/injured against them...

Only way it can really happen is if they either take away the points or give everyone maximum points.

However I can see them getting over the finishing line.

Why the death of Pompey is good news for Newcastle United :lol:

Not directly but the main impact of them going into 'liquidation' will be to further increase the credit risk assigned to football clubs by lenders. This will make finance more expensive and less available. Teams with small fanbases which move between the leagues (the yo-yos) and those with a risk of dropping down, will have to invest very carefully when they do go up or their situation changes. We will be affected the same but because of our higher operating revenues and fanbase, we will have more capacity to invest and a better credit profile. If Pompey's demise creates a further shrinking of credit in the market (to even cover operating costs - like our overdraft at Barclays), then our reduced costs and subsequent promotion (prays silently) will put us in a stonger financial position next year.

Possibly.

And what happens for the players that had people sent off/injured against them...

Only way it can really happen is if they either take away the points or give everyone maximum points.

However I can see them getting over the finishing line.

Exactly why I think it'd be an even bigger headache to let them go under as opposed to bailing them out.

are you all not SORT OF happy that Mike hadn't sold us looking at this now? I remember when pompey first got taken over and quite frankly i was raging, now i couldnt be gladder. No team deserves this, no fans deserve this, no city deserves this. Money ruined the sweet game...

Thats my two cents.

are you all not SORT OF happy that Mike hadn't sold us looking at this now? I remember when pompey first got taken over and quite frankly i was raging, now i couldnt be gladder. No team deserves this, no fans deserve this, no city deserves this. Money ruined the sweet game...

Thats my two cents.

Grass aint always greener. As proven by us being bought by Mike. There is no guarantee that he would necessarily sell us to someone who would run the club any better. If fact, after the stick he has had (rightly so), he could well sell the club to someone he knew would only strip it.

Fact is, Mike will sell to the highest bidder and take nothing else into account.

Thats my two cents.

Not really because I think the block to us being sold is the ridiculous asking price, which in turn is down to the ridiculous price he payed for the club.

Edited by alex

Glad that the clown who bought Pompey and claimed he told us to fuck off when he was told the asking price was £400m didn't buy us - yes.

Glad that we're still owned by Mike Ashley? Hell no!

Glad that the clown who bought Pompey and claimed he told us to fuck off when he was told the asking price was £400m didn't buy us - yes.

Wasn't he just fronting a bid for the same people that bought Man City?

Wasn't he just fronting a bid for the same people that bought Man City?

Different clown I think. This bloke showed interest in us when Ashley put us up for sale post-KK.

Man City had already been sold by then.