Tooj

Kevin Keegan:.

“They are great supporters and even when at their lowest after a bad game on a Saturday and they say they’re not going to go next week….

“Monday comes they are thinking ‘ what will I do?’.

“Tuesday comes and they think ‘I’ll probably go again’.

“By Wednesday, they’re going to go again.”

:D

By Thursday we think we might actually have a chance and by Friday we think a win is nailed on.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you imagine Pardew standing on the steps trying to explain the Carroll sale?

"why Alan, why have you done this?"

"Fahk off you mahgs, you shud be fankin Mike!"

• 1 month later...
The Entertainers get a mention in Michael Cox of Zonal Marking fame's new book.

Basically he debunks the popular myth about our defensive recording being dreadful in the season we finished 2nd as the reason as to why we didn't win the title.

Christ, bumping this thread worried the shit out of me.  :nono:

Edited by The Fish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think Ollie Burton was Newcastle's first named sub  ?

Was only the late 60s when they were first allowed for 'tactical' reasons I think. Could replace injured players before that.

Swear I heard somewhere that the offside rule was brought in, partly because of our success at leaving a man up top on his todd all game?

Or is that "old man in pub talking shit" shit?

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Swear I heard somewhere that the offside rule was brought in, partly because of our success at leaving a man up top on his todd all game?

Or is that "old man in pub talking shit" shit?

It was a very early part of the rules but it was to prevent 'goal mooching', as we called it at school. The first significant change in the law was (I think) that you only had to have two men (instead of the previous three) between the attacking player and the goal. That was in the inter-war preiod and that was to encourage more goals (Been reading Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid). But it was introduced in the first set(s) of rules I think. I.e. before NUFC (which I take you meant by 'our success') even existed or before proper competitions even existed to allow anyone to have what you could call success.

The success of our defence when we won the league led to the change of rules for offside.  I remember reading the birthdays on .com where they've spoken about one or two of our players being particularly responsible.  Bill McCracken being one of them.

That rings a bell actually, although I think it was a more general lack of goals across the league(s) as a whole over a few seasons in the inter-war period. Still think the goals per game ratios were higher than now like.

Incidentally, I have absolutely no recollection of a player named John Waton for us. (Sub in the Anglo-Italian Cup game in the pic above). Had to check it wasn't a mistake but Steve Watson's in the starting XI.

28 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

The success of our defence when we won the league led to the change of rules for offside.  I remember reading the birthdays on .com where they've spoken about one or two of our players being particularly responsible.  Bill McCracken being one of them.

Ahh, that could have been it.