Can you tell you're going to like someone...

Park Life

this thread reminded me of an essay of Malcolm Gladwell's I just read called "The Newboy Network" which talks about how people make snap judgements about those they've just met, ala-job-interview......anyway here is the relevent bit although the whole essay was quite good.

Some years ago, an experimental psychologist at Harvard University, Nalini Ambady, together with Robert Rosenthal, set out to examine the nonverbal aspects of good teaching. As the basis of her research, she used videotapes of teaching fellows which had been made during a training program at Harvard. Her plan was to have outside observers look at the tapes with the sound off and rate the effectiveness of the teachers by their expressions and physical cues. Ambady wanted to have at least a minute of film to work with. When she looked at the tapes, though, there was really only about ten seconds when the teachers were shown apart from the students. "I didn't want students in the frame, because obviously it would bias the ratings," Ambady says. "So I went to my adviser, and I said, 'This isn't going to work.'"

But it did. The observers, presented with a ten-second silent video clip, had no difficulty rating the teachers on a fifteen- item checklist of personality traits. In fact, when Ambady cut the clips back to five seconds, the ratings were the same. They were even the same when she showed her raters just two seconds of videotape. That sounds unbelievable unless you actually watch Ambady's teacher clips, as I did, and realize that the eight seconds that distinguish the longest clips from the shortest are superfluous: anything beyond the first flash of insight is unnecessary. When we make a snap judgment, it is made in a snap. It's also, very clearly, a judgment:we get a feeling that we have no difficulty articulating.

....etc etc, the book "What the dog saw...and other adventures" is worth a read.

yawn.

:( Leazes you're such a tool......better quit reading altogether then eh?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread reminded me of an essay of Malcolm Gladwell's I just read called "The Newboy Network" which talks about how people make snap judgements about those they've just met, ala-job-interview......anyway here is the relevent bit although the whole essay was quite good.

Some years ago, an experimental psychologist at Harvard University, Nalini Ambady, together with Robert Rosenthal, set out to examine the nonverbal aspects of good teaching. As the basis of her research, she used videotapes of teaching fellows which had been made during a training program at Harvard. Her plan was to have outside observers look at the tapes with the sound off and rate the effectiveness of the teachers by their expressions and physical cues. Ambady wanted to have at least a minute of film to work with. When she looked at the tapes, though, there was really only about ten seconds when the teachers were shown apart from the students. "I didn't want students in the frame, because obviously it would bias the ratings," Ambady says. "So I went to my adviser, and I said, 'This isn't going to work.'"

But it did. The observers, presented with a ten-second silent video clip, had no difficulty rating the teachers on a fifteen- item checklist of personality traits. In fact, when Ambady cut the clips back to five seconds, the ratings were the same. They were even the same when she showed her raters just two seconds of videotape. That sounds unbelievable unless you actually watch Ambady's teacher clips, as I did, and realize that the eight seconds that distinguish the longest clips from the shortest are superfluous: anything beyond the first flash of insight is unnecessary. When we make a snap judgment, it is made in a snap. It's also, very clearly, a judgment:we get a feeling that we have no difficulty articulating.

....etc etc, the book "What the dog saw...and other adventures" is worth a read.

yawn.

:) Leazes you're such a tool......better quit reading altogether then eh?

Just ignore him. He'll bump the thread five or six times looking for attention but he'll give up eventually. :(

yawn.

Just ignore him. He'll bump the thread five or six times looking for attention but he'll give up eventually. :(

fair enough....cheers

That's pretty interesting actually. Demonstrates a powerful and natural imperative to make judgements rapidly, no doubt an extremely useful trait in evolutionary terms. Still useful these days, however separating the wheat from the chaff takes considerably longer on a message boards.

yawn.

yawn.

I'm pleased for you that you have nowt better to do ;)