NUFC 4-1 Coventry

Barney

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back. Also seen the goals on telly. The teams which have done well against us this season have been mobile and dominated our midfield. Coventry had some of the former and none of the latter - we did well because they didn't close us down and had no midfield enforcer, leaving space (& oodles of time) for Guthrie to create from central midfield. And they had a defender sent off after making all 3 subs, which helped us even more.

We started poorly and could have been 2 down, but for a Nolan header off the line. Their goal gave us a kick up the arse and a few of our team went on to have a good day.

Our wide men really stood out - Guti scared the shit out out of them by making lots of mazy runs without much end result - one on-target rocket of a shot was blocked, but another almost ended up in Leazes L7, and he tried to hide in his shirt in embarassment. Routledge looked lively when he had the chance, worked intelligently to support Simpson and took his goal well.

Lova was alert and made some intelligent runs without much end product - but his pen was well taken. The logic behind bringing Raylor on to play LW in the last 10 minutes left me utterly bemused, but he, too was in the right place at the right time to score when the ball rolled across the box to him past Best, whose air-kick completely missed the ball. I thought it was a bit odd that only 2 or 3 players went to congratulate Raylor. Either the rest couldn't be arsed or don't like him.

Routledge & Best look like positive additions who will contribute to our run in, and Williamson will plug a gap.

Player ratings based on a game listened too on the radio? Jesus wept

Who was the lad on N-O who wanted to write the match reports for their main site even tho he lived in India or somewhere? ;)

Actually, I think HTT let him write them. Would only be right and proper seeing as he wrote plenty despite attending hardly any games :icon_lol:

got back from the match about half 12 last night, from crossing the river to my front door step it was snow and/or fog all the way back

had a bloody brilliant day though, good result made the drive back seem much shorter, actually thought jonas should've had MOTM but I can see why they gave it routledge

also pretty sure I had leazes sat behind me, old fella who never shut up ;)

actually thought jonas should've had MOTM but I can see why they gave it routledge

Am I unfair on Jonas? He ran their defence ragged, had them in his pocket.....but still didn't have any end product aa far as I could see. In his few games at the club Routledge has already scored as many and probably provided as many assists as Jonas has all season. I thought he thoroughly deserved man of the match.

Edited by Happy Face

On the subject of Guthrie, am delighted that he had a great game but as i didnt see the quality of the Coventry midfield its hard to judge if he looked good or really was good. One thing i dont invest much worth in is the opinions of the muppets who commentate on the radio. Anderson isnt that bright and talks through his arse a lot imo. Anyway, Guthrie for me has the right attributes as a central midfielder, he lacks pace but has good technique under pressure (sometimes) which is what you need and he can pick a pass. Central midfield is about having a partnership though, so he will look poor if whoever is around him isnt moving into space to give him a good outlet or providing him decent balls in enough space to do something with it.

On the subject of Guthrie, am delighted that he had a great game but as i didnt see the quality of the Coventry midfield its hard to judge if he looked good or really was good. One thing i dont invest much worth in is the opinions of the muppets who commentate on the radio. Anderson isnt that bright and talks through his arse a lot imo. Anyway, Guthrie for me has the right attributes as a central midfielder, he lacks pace but has good technique under pressure (sometimes) which is what you need and he can pick a pass. Central midfield is about having a partnership though, so he will look poor if whoever is around him isnt moving into space to give him a good outlet or providing him decent balls in enough space to do something with it.

Absolutely spot on!

If Smith can get back his early season form him and Guthrie would be a pretty good CM pairing.

Its all about partnerships all over the pitch and we have, and could se a few more developing with a fully fit squad.

Enrique & Jonas down the left.

Simspon & Routledge down the right.

Taylor & Coloccini or Willamson in defence.

Smith & Guthrie in the engine room.

Carroll & Lovenkrands upfront.

Absolutely spot on!

If Smith can get back his early season form him and Guthrie would be a pretty good CM pairing.

Its all about partnerships all over the pitch and we have, and could se a few more developing with a fully fit squad.

Enrique & Jonas down the left.

Simspon & Routledge down the right.

Taylor & Coloccini or Willamson in defence.

Smith & Guthrie in the engine room.

Carroll & Lovenkrands upfront.

Just a quicky. What has Smith done?