NUFC 4-1 Coventry

Barney

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually thought jonas should've had MOTM but I can see why they gave it routledge

Am I unfair on Jonas? He ran their defence ragged, had them in his pocket.....but still didn't have any end product aa far as I could see. In his few games at the club Routledge has already scored as many and probably provided as many assists as Jonas has all season. I thought he thoroughly deserved man of the match.

Jonas set up Lovenkrands with a very good ball for that header the keeper made a good save from and put him through when Wright got booked and fizzed in a few more decent balls that we didn't quite get a good connection on in the second half. But I think Routledge will supply more goals by the end of the season.

On the subject of Guthrie, am delighted that he had a great game but as i didnt see the quality of the Coventry midfield its hard to judge if he looked good or really was good. One thing i dont invest much worth in is the opinions of the muppets who commentate on the radio. Anderson isnt that bright and talks through his arse a lot imo. Anyway, Guthrie for me has the right attributes as a central midfielder, he lacks pace but has good technique under pressure (sometimes) which is what you need and he can pick a pass. Central midfield is about having a partnership though, so he will look poor if whoever is around him isnt moving into space to give him a good outlet or providing him decent balls in enough space to do something with it.

From what I've seen Guthrie doesn't have good technique under pressure as he tends to get hustled out of possession quite easily.It's all well and good saying he needs movement around him but he doesn't offer that much movement himself usually. But yes, he can pick a pass given time and space.

From what I've seen Guthrie doesn't have good technique under pressure as he tends to get hustled out of possession quite easily.It's all well and good saying he needs movement around him but he doesn't offer that much movement himself usually. But yes, he can pick a pass given time and space.

He does have good technique under pressure, however what happens quite a bit is he'll beat one player whilst looking for a passing option and will then have to try to beat them again or thread an impossible ball because no passing option s have presented themselves. I'd put it down to imitations of other players which in turn goes back to team selections. Guthrie doesn't have pace or trickery, but he's half decent at using his body to protect the ball. It would be nice to see him form some sort of partnership with a steady midfield setup. I really thought he'd be a central figure for us this season - hasn't turned out to be the case because of what appears to be blatant favouritism towards some of the more 'experienced' players.

He does have good technique under pressure, however what happens quite a bit is he'll beat one player whilst looking for a passing option and will then have to try to beat them again or thread an impossible ball because no passing option s have presented themselves. I'd put it down to imitations of other players which in turn goes back to team selections. Guthrie doesn't have pace or trickery, but he's half decent at using his body to protect the ball. It would be nice to see him form some sort of partnership with a steady midfield setup. I really thought he'd be a central figure for us this season - hasn't turned out to be the case because of what appears to be blatant favouritism towards some of the more 'experienced' players.

Thats how i look at him too, he knows how to collect the ball to protect it and can play one-touch stuff, both attributes are important in a tight midfield. He has a lot to work on but i think he knows how to control a football, which for me sets him apart from other options we have in there.

How many times has Guthrie started centrally this season?

Thats how i look at him too, he knows how to collect the ball to protect it and can play one-touch stuff, both attributes are important in a tight midfield. He has a lot to work on but i think he knows how to control a football, which for me sets him apart from other options we have in there.

How many times has Guthrie started centrally this season?

Guthrie is the only one out of him, Smith, Butt and Nolan i'd give a chance to in the prem, as long as he's central and not out wide. Ideally we'd sign to central midfielders who were better and he'd be 3rd choice but that's not going to happen. And he's never had a good run in the centre under Hughton so he's never had the chance to establish himself there.

actually thought jonas should've had MOTM but I can see why they gave it routledge

Am I unfair on Jonas? He ran their defence ragged, had them in his pocket.....but still didn't have any end product aa far as I could see. In his few games at the club Routledge has already scored as many and probably provided as many assists as Jonas has all season. I thought he thoroughly deserved man of the match.

Jonas set up Lovenkrands with a very good ball for that header the keeper made a good save from and put him through when Wright got booked and fizzed in a few more decent balls that we didn't quite get a good connection on in the second half. But I think Routledge will supply more goals by the end of the season.

I arrived 9 minutes in (always got to fit one more pint in) so I think I missed the cross for Lovenkrands' header early on.

Am I alone in thinking Guthrie's problem is stamina?

He seems to have decent spells in a game but fades in and out especially towards the end.

I'd say he's 'footballer' but he's a bit limited as well. Legs being an issue, which is always going to be an issue in central midfield. I like him though and he's got as good an engine as Smith or Nolan have these days. He's quite young as well I suppose.