Things are looking up!

Flair

66points from 32 games. Realistically, 92 points should see us through. 26points from 14games!

Most of the deadwood at the club has been rid. Looking through the squad list, only the likes of Pancrate, Butt and Ameobi (perhaps not even Ameobi) may need to go.

What about financially? How are we doing? I am still a bit clueless. However, I think we are near debt free.

Ashley may well sell as soon as we are back-up. I know this may be worse that it already is (like Pompey) but hopefully we will get a reliable and good owner in.

Edited by Flair

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at Forest and West Brom i think this year the league winners will need more than another 26 points. As long as we keep winning our home games and not losing our away games we should be ok.

66points from 32 games. Realistically, 92 points should see us through. 26points from 14games!

Most of the deadwood at the club has been rid. Looking through the squad list, only the likes of Pancrate, Butt and Ameobi (perhaps not even Ameobi) may need to go.

What about financially? How are we doing? I am still a bit clueless. However, I think we are near debt free.

Ashley may well sell as soon as we are back-up. I know this may be worse that it already is (like Pompey) but hopefully we will get a reliable and good owner in.

Thats almost an average of 2 points a game and that alone is some solid form home and away. If we can start winning a few games on our travels which im confident we will then we will have no problem.

I think the fact that Guthrie and Carroll have found some form and we now have two wingers to try and stretch play like JawD has said it means we have a good chance.

Enrique and Barton back within 2 weeks too will be a help, especially as Enrique and Gutierrez had formed a good understanding together.

Partnerships are popping up all over the pitch which can only be a good thing, it means that come the end of the season we SHOULD have a solid basis to build on in terms of our starting 11.

Our back four of Simpson, Taylor, Coloccini and Enrique has been the biggest suprise this season andi think they will be good enough together next season in the PL, also Williamson looks steady and a good backup. We still need 3 more defenders for the PL though...Backup of RB, CB and LB.

The midfield of Routledge, Guthrie, Smith and Gutierrez COULD be ok in the PL but i dont think Guthrie will ever be given the chance to be a regular CM while Hughton is in charge and we have Nolan. Our entire crop of CM's Smith, Guthrie, Nolan and Barton all have ALOT to prove in the PL and id give them the chance but id rather we went into the new season with a new CM pairing, let Nolan and Barton go and use Guthrie and Smith as squad players. We need at least cover for both RM & LM, another ball winning CM and most definatly an attack minded creative CM.

Upfront id be happy to go with Lovenkrands and Carroll, not the best and in an ideal world id love to see us splash 10mil on a clever and pacey striker to play alongside Carroll and use Lovenkrands and Ranger as cover...let Ameobi go and get another striker in to get goals off the bench. We are stuck with Best so i just hope he is better than what he has showed already.

As for finances...i dont think we know alot about it but one thing is for sure we HAVE to be in a better situation now than we were when FS left.

We should be an attractive proposition should Ashley and i think he will, put us up for sale in the summer.

Things are looking up indeed mate.

Long way to go yet though.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I hate to piss on anyone's bonfire but the only reason things look up right now is because of the absolute shitness of the league we're in. Our team would get slaughtered by the relegation candidates of the Prem, next season will be a shit one unless Ashley fucks off - enjoy our predicament while you can.

The basis of a good PL team is there imho...

---Harper---

---Simpson---Taylor---Coloccini---Enrique---

Routledge---(New ACM)---(New DCM)---Gutierrez---

---Carroll---(New Pacey STR)

---

Subs: Krul, Williamson, RB or LB, Smith, Guthrie, RM or LM and STR

Back up: Lovenkrands, Ranger, Best, Donaldson, Vuckic, LuaLua, Raylor, Kadar and Forster

In: 8 players...RB, LB, ACM, DCM, RM, LM, STR, STR...35mil???

Out: 4 players...Butt, Shola, Nolan and Barton...6mil??

Obviously for the above to happen we would need to be sold to someone with a bit of football knowledge, money and common sense.

I hate to piss on anyone's bonfire but the only reason things look up right now is because of the absolute shitness of the league we're in. Our team would get slaughtered by the relegation candidates of the Prem, next season will be a shit one unless Ashley fucks off - enjoy our predicament while you can.

I dont disagree about the shiteness of the league, and I dont think the team is anything special, and I think Ashley is a cunt, but I dont think the team is any worse than last seasons bunch of shite - and they only got relegated because they really tried hard to. I think the current bunch might just be able to eke out enough points to stay up. The are probably better than Burnley and on a level with Bolton/Blackburn/Wolves /Portsmouth and certainly no worse tahn the other two teams who get promotion.

We might stay up we might not, we will probably end up up yoyoing (?) between the prem and the championship with stupidly big crowds and Ashley pocketing a fortune. I almost hope we dont go up

---Harper---

---

Sorry like but a "good" Premiership team? GOOD?

:(

I dont disagree about the shiteness of the league, and I dont think the team is anything special, and I think Ashley is a cunt, but I dont think the team is any worse than last seasons bunch of shite - and they only got relegated because they really tried hard to. I think the current bunch might just be able to eke out enough points to stay up. The are probably better than Burnley and on a level with Bolton/Blackburn/Wolves /Portsmouth and certainly no worse tahn the other two teams who get promotion.

We might stay up we might not, we will probably end up up yoyoing (?) between the prem and the championship with stupidly big crowds and Ashley pocketing a fortune. I almost hope we dont go up

Crowd: 45,525

see what I mean

---Harper---

---

Sorry like but a "good" Premiership team? GOOD?

:(

put Smith/guthrie/Barton in midfield and lovelyhands/Fenham Pele up front and you have a team who might be good enough to stay up, cetainly good enough to get back up if relegated. More than good enough and cheap enough to line Ashleys pockets. We are top of the Championship but as far as I am concered the future has never been so depressing

Id agree. the current side would get taken apart by most premiership teams. I mean come on, we struggle against most top championship sides.

not really true though - lets look at the top 6

west brom drew away drew at home

cardiff beat home and away

leicester won at home drew away

swansea beat at home drew away

I'll give you we lost away at Forest

thats not struggling in my book

Id agree. the current side would get taken apart by most premiership teams. I mean come on, we struggle against most top championship sides.

Hughton is the man that needs replacing once we go up and you will see a difference.

Only Carroll and Routledge havent had REGULAR PL or top league experience out of our 1st team tbh.

Hughton is the man that needs replacing once we go up and you will see a difference.

Only Carroll and Routledge havent had REGULAR PL or top league experience out of our 1st team tbh.

Routledge played a full season for crystal palace in the prem in 2005 i believe. was really good aswell for them as i recall.

Routledge played a full season for crystal palace in the prem in 2005 i believe. was really good aswell for them as i recall.

I thought that but wasnt sure, that and how much he played for spurs.

Only backs my point that our 1st team by majority has the basis for a good PL team. Of course we neeed quality additions though.

By good i mean lower mid-table.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

Just my opinion...that team + GOOD manager + Financial backing = Good team :) Just my opinion :(

Only backs my point that our 1st team by majority has the basis for a good PL team. Of course we neeed quality additions though.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

Just my opinion...that team + GOOD manager + Financial backing = Good team :) Just my opinion :(

agree with all of your sentiments but tbf Routledge broke his foot(?) in his 1st pre season for spurs and that set him back big time. added to that you had the emergence of Aaron Lennon who was on fire that season. not saying he's a brilliant player (Routledge) but i reckon he's a low to mid prem level player easily which is pretty much the best we can hope for atm.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

agree with all of your sentiments but tbf Routledge broke his foot(?) in his 1st pre season for spurs and that set him back big time. added to that you had the emergence of Aaron Lennon who was on fire that season. not saying he's a brilliant player (Routledge) but i reckon he's a low to mid prem level player easily which is pretty much the best we can hope for atm.

I really don't like bursting the bubble of those who have accepted lower standards but you are quite right.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

I really don't like bursting the bubble of those who have accepted lower standards but you are quite right.

Leazes mate i dont think ANYONE has accepted "lower standards" as you put it.

Do you honestly think anyone who calls themselves a newcastle fan is happywith seeing our side in the CCC, add to that do you think they like to see our club with an average "cheap" option manager and every window lookin for bargain basement signings? NO.

We all are typically an ambitious bunch, we all enjoy seeing ourside in the PL and CL, challenging the big clubs for quality signings and domestic cups....but we ALL know this is what it is...for now.

Relegation has given us a wake up call and the chance to build our club up from the bottom, long gone are the days of token signings like Owen and Luque like your mates signed and got us into financial difficulty.

And now we look to a future where we can build slowly and sensibly.

Villa and Everton and to some extent though i hate saying it Spurs should be the inspiration...if we even needed it.

We will return to the PL, we will return to europe, we will once again sign quality players but its going to be a long process...at least when we get there we will hopefully be able to sustain it.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

Leazes mate i dont think ANYONE has accepted "lower standards" as you put it.

Do you honestly think anyone who calls themselves a newcastle fan is happywith seeing our side in the CCC, add to that do you think they like to see our club with an average "cheap" option manager and every window lookin for bargain basement signings? NO.

We all are typically an ambitious bunch, we all enjoy seeing ourside in the PL and CL, challenging the big clubs for quality signings and domestic cups....but we ALL know this is what it is...for now.

Relegation has given us a wake up call and the chance to build our club up from the bottom, long gone are the days of token signings like Owen and Luque like your mates signed and got us into financial difficulty.

And now we look to a future where we can build slowly and sensibly.

Villa and Everton and to some extent though i hate saying it Spurs should be the inspiration...if we even needed it.

We will return to the PL, we will return to europe, we will once again sign quality players but its going to be a long process...at least when we get there we will hopefully be able to sustain it.

Not under the current ownership.