HTC Hero-Anyone got one

Jusoda Kid

What about people who like to take decent photos? Have you spoken to any of them? What about people that like not charging their phone every day? :)

I'd kill for an iphone though. :lol:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a wander into t-mobiles shop today so i can could have a gander at the HTC Hero or as they call it the G2. got to say that 1st impressions are really good. touchscreen is excellent, seems very quick, menus look straightforward. obviously didnt have much time to check it out in depth but from what i saw im impressed. maybe not quite as good as the iphone but imo its only a fannies hair away from it and much closer than ajaxandy seems to think.

What about people who like to take decent photos? Have you spoken to any of them? What about people that like not charging their phone every day? :)

I'd kill for an iphone though. :lol:

Haha I think the iphone camera is decent actaully, but yeah you can get a standard nokia or something like that with a much better camera for a fraction of the cost.

Got the Hero well sussed now, it's fucking magic. Was out last night and my mate has just got an iphone that he hasn't a clue how to work so after fucking about with it to show him things I've came to the conclusion the Hero is better than the Iphone.

Andy hasn't got a fucking clue what he's talking about, infact I'd be surprised if he even owns a phone, never mind an iphone.

Got the Hero well sussed now, it's fucking magic. Was out last night and my mate has just got an iphone that he hasn't a clue how to work so after fucking about with it to show him things I've came to the conclusion the Hero is better than the Iphone.

Andy hasn't got a fucking clue what he's talking about, infact I'd be surprised if he even owns a phone, never mind an iphone.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

i was gonna get the Hero when my contract expires the end of this month but i reckon i'll hang on another month and then get either the HTC Legend (replacement for the Hero) or the HTC Desire.

Damn you sussed me out! ;)

Not impressed with the camera on the iPhone. Not arsed like as I've got a couple of canny cameras anyway but wor lass's Nokia takes a much better picture.

If the original is best, the Palm Treo was a better phone than the iPhone was when it came out. The Palm Pre is a magnificent phone, but Palm itself seems to be on the way out ;)

I just switched from my iPhone to a MyTouch 3G (aka Magic, I think) and am quite pleased. While I'm figuring out new apps and learning the different sort of typing, I am quite happy with the switch. I can now multitask, the monthly cost is cheaper and (over here) the 3G coverage actually, well, covers most of where I spend my days.

Not impressed with the camera on the iPhone. Not arsed like as I've got a couple of canny cameras anyway but wor lass's Nokia takes a much better picture.

Same with the hero, although it's 5m pixels the lens must be shit, I knew this though and tbh I rarely use my camera anyway. People who take photos using their mobile are worthless wankers anyway imo.

P.S The phone itself just gets better and better the more I use it.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

Given the size of the lens on phone cameras, anything above 5 MP is a total waste. The difference between 3.2 and 5 MP on such a small lens is also unlikely to provide much of a difference. The flash on the Motorola Droid seems a nice addition, though.

I've got the Hero since last November. It's not as good for net use as the iphone but otherwise it's a beautiful handset and with it being a google device there is a massive amount of compatible software and apps to make this a decent alternative to Microsoft. Google Chrome, Googlemail, Google Calendar etc. For me that's all I really need from a phone so for £15 less a month than the iphone it's very nice indeed.

• 4 weeks later...
Just recieved my HTC Desire today. What a piece of kit! havent had time yet to sort it all out yet but so far it pisses all over the iphone. well chuffed!

Hopefully getting one of these when my upgrade is due next week. Some rave reviews being knocked out!

• 4 weeks later...

Right, app recommendations then?

Wacky mentioned Cardio Trainer elsewhere, which is class.

Advanced Task Killer Pro, set Auto Kill to Aggressive. Your battery will thank you.

DoggCatcher if you listen to a lot of podcasts - you can set it to only download when you're on a wifi connection, subscribe to whatever podcasts you listen to, and basically whenever you're at home it'll check for new episodes and download them all in the background. Google Listen is free and is meant to do the same thing, but I found it a bit hit and miss.

3G Watchdog - if you've got any sort of cap on your usage, this tracks all of your data usage and tells you what your projected usage is for the month. It's basically shown me that for what I use it for, I'll never get close to my 1gig limit.

NewsRob is great for blogs and RSS feeds - compatible with Google Reader too, which is canny.

Pure Calendar widgets are great if you use Google Calendar.

There's probably some more that I'll think of later.

Having to bite the bullet and nab an 18 month contract. The desire, 100 minutes, 500 texts and "unlimited" web for 25 quid a month. Went through mobilephonesdirect. At no point in the order process did they say they were awaiting stock. In fact the website states that they specifically have it in stock, so when I check how the order is coming along (they say order before 3pm to guarantee next day delivery) it says "Awaiting Stock", a quick Google and some people appear to have had some problems with them including them not letting vodaphone/t-mobile know that you have a PAC code and don't require a new number. So this could be interesting. Still it's £30 cashback through Quidco.

Having to bite the bullet and nab an 18 month contract. The desire, 100 minutes, 500 texts and "unlimited" web for 25 quid a month. Went through mobilephonesdirect. At no point in the order process did they say they were awaiting stock. In fact the website states that they specifically have it in stock, so when I check how the order is coming along (they say order before 3pm to guarantee next day delivery) it says "Awaiting Stock", a quick Google and some people appear to have had some problems with them including them not letting vodaphone/t-mobile know that you have a PAC code and don't require a new number. So this could be interesting. Still it's £30 cashback through Quidco.

if you can stretch to a 24mnth contract this is the one to go for

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands...447/p31043.aspx

free phone, 600mins, 500 txts, unlimited net. £25mnth.

its what im on.

if you can stretch to a 24mnth contract this is the one to go for

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands...447/p31043.aspx

free phone, 600mins, 500 txts, unlimited net. £25mnth.

its what im on.

The contract length and tariff are fine, pretty much all I'll need. It's just the fact they are out of stock and didn't bother their arses to tell me while still saying they had it in stock on their site.

Edit: Just saw on the link that they've slung up a sneaky "Wait 3-5 days for delivery". Most definitely wasn't there yesterday. Ah well at least it's more likely to be days, rather than weeks.

Edited by The Mighty Hog