The Falklands

Anth

The US would've always sided with us at the time as it was still during the Cold War so we were a much more important strategic ally.

Aye but it put the yanks in an awkward position seeing as though they were involved in two treaties which conflicted with the Falklands War. It shows Thatcher's power that he didn't put his foot down.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, whatever you think of her she was good at putting British interests first on the international scene. Shame about the domestic policy like. ;)

Or her domestic policy in the North to be more precise.

Remember it well. Two politicians - Galtiero [sp] and Meryl Streep, both up to their necks in the dirty-doos and needing to prove they have balls. Streep encourages / turns blind eye to Argie [am I allowed to say that?] scrap merchants landing on Falklands / Las Malvinas, a large portion of which is owned by Streep's hubby, Dennis. Cue for said failed politicos to slug it out in the Ultimate Smackdown for control of their respective subjects. And the oil, of course. And the sheep. Many killed, maimed and otherwise inconvenienced, but that's the way when it is you need to prove you're alpha male.

Task Force, Pomp and Circumstance, Sir Galahad - Simon Weston [i think - sorry if I got your name wrong, mate], face burnt off, but refused to hear a word against Steep - Belgrano [the vomit-inducing 'Gotcha! - courtesy of burn-in-hell Murdoch]. Our Brave Lads return in triumph. Streep elected Pope and leader of the Reich to last a Thousand Years [until Hesletine ballsed it up 'cos he hadn/t read the script]. Dennis Streep praises God for protecting his investments, while counting the profits from his sanction-busting South African coal interests. A triumph. Alternatively - pointless, and senseless. Ask the poor bastards and their families who had to endure it.

What's it about now? Interests of the Falklanders? Doubtful. Power? Probably. Oil? Put your house on it. One thing's sure - some poor bastards are going to suffer. Always the same.

Apologies for the rambling ... drink has been taken. But in moderation.

I enjoyed reading this analysis from another forum.

Guest CabayeAye

Aye, whatever you think of her she was good at putting British interests first on the international scene. Shame about the domestic policy like. ;)

Or her domestic policy in the North to be more precise.

Her domestic policy was shocking North and South. By putting all the countries eggs in the basket that was 'The City', she set the conditions for us to get royally fucked by the recession. A lot of people don't realise how deeply fucked our economy really is.

Re: the nuclear option the last time, a certain story goes that Tatcher rang Mitterand to get the codes for the Exocet missiles to disable them. When he refused she threatened to nuke the argies, he thinks shes mad enough to do it so capitulates but only if she agrees to the building of the channel tunnel. The logic behind that being that it would draw us closer into Europe and strengthen the project.

Not sure how true that is :lol:

Guest CabayeAye

I don understan why not share one part of the island for each country.

No. Argentina has ZERO claim to the Falklands. The inhabitants are British, end of. It was uninhabited when we populated it with British people.

It would be like some random bloke off the street suggesting that I give half of my house to him because he wants to live there.

No. Argentina has ZERO claim to the Falklands. The inhabitants are British, end of. It was uninhabited when we populated it with British people.

It would be like some random bloke off the street suggesting that I give half of my house to him because he wants to live there.

This. CabayeAye's talking sense. The bitch (Argentine PM) is talking out of her arse.

I say we invade Argentina

This. CabayeAye's talking sense. The bitch (Argentine PM) is talking out of her arse.

I say we invade Argentina

I say that you're an attention seeking bellend.

Guest CabayeAye

Despite some stiff competition from Toon Man and SouthernMag, you're walking the Worst Newcomer award.

You've got me shitting myself now. I'm fucking petrified that some fat, friendless cunt sat safely behind his keyboard is giving me his made up award.

I think I'm just going to go back to work and enter the real world again instead of talking to some utter mutant on here...

Guest CabayeAye

What the hell is wrong with you? Did your mother not breast-feed you when you were a child or something? What is the root of this aggression?

I don't suffer fools at all. That is the root of my aggression. Good blokes have nothing to fear, I'm a lovely chap to the right people! :D