Women - Aren't funny?

Sicklee Sausage Roll

Dawn French was on 'Parkinson' and spoke of a new series where she looks at 'comedy heroines'.

That'll be a long series, I thought. :lol:

Victoria Wood (what a fucking surprise) and Roseanne Barr.

What a hoot, eh?

I hope they don't include Jo Brand and Rhona Cameron, as I may have to have my sides sutured.

A lot of women tend to go for the "aren't men stupid, women are so much better" or "periods make me moody, haha" line of comedy.

Which gets dull EXCEEDINGLY quickly, in my view.

However, there are of course some who manage to break free of this, and do some DAMN GOOD random stuff.

Also, it's harder for women to break into comedy (because of people thinking that they won't be as funny as guys), so I guess you'd think that it's only the best ones that do actually make it. But it's probably just the stronger characters that do.... someone could be fecking hilarious but not have the self confidence to actually give it a shot incase people don't laugh.... I reckon guys are more likely to go "I think I'm funny. Hand me a microphone."

:lol:

I'm thinking about this and I can't think of one single funny female "comic". There are some that perform well in sitcoms written by men, but none that can write it for themselves...

I think its safe to say that I will not be watching that programme...

It sucks to say it, but it's definitely the guys that I've seen on stage who are funnier than the girls. One woman I can think of was pretty good the first time I saw her, but her jokes didn't last and whenever I saw her again, I'd be bored. However, the guys had material that I could see time and time again and still find funny.

But, as I said, there were a couple that were really good. But that's because they basically did "male" type standup jokes... in that they talked about random crap, not just their ex-boyfriend, and threw in the occasional really dark joke (and you gotta love that stuff).

[/comedy nerd]

Had a female comic come to comedy night at uni and was willing to give her a chance. Howver she was crap. And people were board and just chatting amongst themselves to which she went all serious and said "Can you stop that please, seriously, it's really annoying".

Surely if you're going to have a go at hecklers (or people talking) you could at least be funny about it.

I feel like I've single-handedly killed this thread by being the only female around.... and agreeing with you. :lol:

Sorry 'bout that. I wish I could disagree... but it's just how it is... and it sucks.

I feel like I've single-handedly killed this thread by being the only female around.... and agreeing with you. :lol:

Sorry 'bout that.  I wish I could disagree... but it's just how it is... and it sucks.

58151[/snapback]

It's better then making a joke about your period or how we are all so stupid. I think that might be why women comics aren't funny. They immediately alienate 50% of the audience.

Yeh, while the other 50% are going, 'we understand. but that's still not funny. tell us a JOKE, woman...'

Not too good at all ;)

Plus, I think guys are probably more likely to be willing to look a bit silly on stage... which means that they'll be more active and get more into it... and for me, a big part of enjoying a stand up is being entertained, not just amused. And there IS a difference between the two.

I remember I went to one gig, and there were two ladies on that night, as well as the guys I'd gone to see... and they were both SO funny. Both of them rocked. And so afterwards I just HAD to go and chat to them, and actually told them that I didn't tend to find female comedians funny but they were hilarious. They seemed to like that! :lol:

Sad as it is i have to agree with whats already been said. Dont really know why this is so though!

58175[/snapback]

Annoying, isn't it?!

As a female with a comedy addiction, who likes to believe that she can be funny at times (I suppose some of you might find that hard to believe :lol:), it pisses me off that I can do very little but agree to this thread. Bah.

Oh well... I suppose it just makes comedy boys even greater!!! ;)

*seeing an aussie comedy boy in two hours, yay!*

I don't agree - though a lot more comedians are around compared with comediennes I think there are a few decent ones. I don't mind Jo Brand in small doses and find her infinitely more funny than Lee Evans or Jimmy Carr.

I never liked Victoria Wood but thought the Roseanne TV show was generally quality though I'm unfamilar with any of her other work.

If I watch the Stand up shows on paramount I find the quality to be variable but gender does not seem to be a factor in that.

Joan Rivers always makes me laugh, although I don't like her using the c-word :lol:

58236[/snapback]

Cheap?

Common?

Costco? (discount drugstore here)

or

Courtesies

Unknown to

Necrophiliac

Twatters

Joan Rivers always makes me laugh, although I don't like her using the c-word  :lol:

58236[/snapback]

She's canny funny on the red carpet show for the emmys and the Oscars and that. But only cos she's a total c-word about what the celebrities are wearing, and rips them to shreds! ;)

I don't agree - though a lot more comedians are around compared with comediennes I think there are a few decent ones. I don't mind Jo Brand in small doses and find her infinitely more funny than Lee Evans or Jimmy Carr.

I never liked Victoria Wood but thought the Roseanne TV show was generally quality though I'm unfamilar with any of her other work.

If I watch the Stand up shows on paramount I find the quality to be variable but gender does not seem to be a factor in that.

58233[/snapback]

Maybe you're right... in proportion, maybe there are about as many funny ladies as there are men (in proportion to the numbers of that sex that aren't funny...) ... but because there are more men... there are therefore more funny male comedians.... and because there are less women, you have more chance of seeing a shite one??

Had it again today. The guys on were great (well, I would say that about my mate, but he did kick ass...) but the girl wasn't anything special at all. Multitasking (or lack of it). Dating tales (or lack of them). Diet stories.

Meanwhile Danny took to the stage with an impression of him on drugs doing a pikachu impression, and jumping around getting worked up at stars wars not answering the one question he's always had: what do the buttons on the front of Darth Vader's chest ACTUALLY do???. (haha, he's such a nerd) SO. Much. Better.

I got called a comedy nerd again tonight..... :rolleyes: Oh well, deservedly so!!

never found comediennes laugh out loud funny and I've seen a few. I think a lot of them try to conform to male stereotypical comedy, being crude and obnoxious, Jo Brand is a prime example. I've never laughed at Jo Brands jokes, I find her just simply a common crude fat bitter woman.

There's a short comedienne from London who makes me titter, but I think it's the shock factor that someone so teeny tiny can be so dirty. Also she was chatting with me and my mates before and after the gig because we were "The friendliest and least "Bunny in the headlight" looking bunch of studenty types" Which I think was a compliment.

She of course picked us out during the comedy and thoroughly made our night with japery etc., but then the headliner came on and was laugh out loud funny.

basically, men can make men and women laugh, women can either make women associate and chuckle or they can pretend to be men.

never found comediennes laugh out loud funny and I've seen a few. I think a lot of them try to conform to male stereotypical comedy, being crude and obnoxious, Jo Brand is a prime example. I've never laughed at Jo Brands jokes, I find her just simply a common crude fat bitter woman.

There's a short comedienne from London who makes me titter, but I think it's the shock factor that someone so teeny tiny can be so dirty. Also she was chatting with me and my mates before and after the gig because we were "The friendliest and least "Bunny in the headlight" looking bunch of studenty types" Which I think was a compliment.

She of course picked us out during the comedy and thoroughly made our night with japery etc., but then the headliner came on and was laugh out loud funny.

basically, men can make men and women laugh, women can either make women associate and chuckle or they can pretend to be men.

58347[/snapback]

There must be a few with a sense of humour fish, for starters one gave birth to you. :rolleyes:

There must be a few with a sense of humour fish, for starters one gave birth to you. :rolleyes:

58350[/snapback]

it seems it's not just women who aren't funny....

58347[/snapback]

In general... yeh, I'd pretty much go with that.

Of course, let's not forget that there's some fucking TERRIBLE male comedians out there to....... *shudders at the memory*

"I'm a lawyer. There's a law that says *insert relevant Act of Parliament*. Haha, that's funny, because if you take it extremely literally, then it almost sounds like it's saying something that might be vaguely amusing if I had any kind of character or life on stage, or even just changed the tone of my voice as I spoke..." ;):rolleyes:

Or those lovely fat and ugly old men who think it's funny to wear as little clothes as possible when onstage. Then again, I suppose the difference between 'funny' and 'mind-scarringly repulsive' is only a fine line.... :blink:

:icon_lol:

Or those lovely fat and ugly old men who think it's funny to wear as little clothes as possible when onstage.  Then again, I suppose the difference between 'funny' and 'mind-scarringly repulsive' is only a fine line....  :rolleyes:

;)

58474[/snapback]

Several posters on here have trouble with staying on the right side of the line tbh.

Or those lovely fat and ugly old men who think it's funny to wear as little clothes as possible when onstage.  Then again, I suppose the difference between 'funny' and 'mind-scarringly repulsive' is only a fine line....  :rolleyes:

;)

58474[/snapback]

Several posters on here have trouble with staying on the right side of the line tbh.

58501[/snapback]

I dunno about men, but there's a few lasses doon the toon on a weekend that fall into that category.