Should Dyer be considered a regular starter?

Django Reinhardt

Watching the highlights just now I was thinking of how many first team regulars were out of the team and I counted six including the aforementioned Dyer. Then I considered: Can Dyer really be considered a regular starter if everyone is fit? Now let's think of his possible starting positions and their probable incumbents. Centre midfield (Emre), right wing (Solano), pace man up front (Owen), possibly behind the front man (no current incumbent although Bowyer did that pretty well today). I can't really see him ousting any of these players for a starting place and so I'm thinking that he really becomes a handily versatile squad player, one who can cover several positions. Still knowing our history with injuries, the question will almost certainly remain hypothetical.

Actually watching a replay of the goals perhaps he could come in for either Bramble or Boumsong.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he is a first choice any more. I do think he could prove to be very effective as a sub if things arent going our way. Having said that he's on a hell of alot of money to be a sub.

Well you've got the pace and work-rate of Dyer verses the extra craft and guile of Solano (though he hasn't shown too much of it since his return, I know, still not match fit). I think that would be the swap out I could most easily make for him, but really when (hopefully not if) Nobby starts to find his range again I think he'll really start to pull the strings on that right side. I think Nobby and Carr could potentially be a rock solid partnership. I also think N'Zogbia will be unlucky to lose his place, but then Luque can also play up front.

Watching the highlights just now I was thinking of how many first team regulars were out of the team and I counted six including the aforementioned Dyer. Then I considered: Can Dyer really be considered a regular starter if everyone is fit? Now let's think of his possible starting positions and their probable incumbents. Centre midfield (Emre), right wing (Solano), pace man up front (Owen), possibly behind the front man (no current incumbent although Bowyer did that pretty well today). I can't really see him ousting any of these players for a starting place and so I'm thinking that he really becomes a handily versatile squad player, one who can cover several positions. Still knowing our history with injuries, the question will almost certainly remain hypothetical.

Actually watching a replay of the goals perhaps he could come in for either Bramble or Boumsong.

58143[/snapback]

Simply amazing that anyone, anywhere can think Dyer is a bigger asset to a football team than Craig Bellamy

Nevermind, we can afford to chuck millions of quid down the drain to cover the bad management of oour current manager.

The way you quote me at length almost suggests that your post has something to do with the subject being discussed instead of being a scattergun attack on what I'm sure you see as the forces bringing our club to it's knees. Still my mentioning Dyer's name was probably all that was needed wasn't it?

The way you quote me at length almost suggests that your post has something to do with the subject being discussed instead of being a scattergun attack on what I'm sure you see as the forces bringing our club to it's knees. Still my mentioning Dyer's name was probably all that was needed wasn't it?

58171[/snapback]

:lol:

He's right like LM. Respond to what's been posted mate - we all know you don't like Souness and you love Bellamy. There's no need to remind us in every post you make.

I'd play him on the right ahead of Solano tbh.

58152[/snapback]

So would I. In the absence of any decent crosses from Solano, Dyer offers us more down the right....assuming he can put together any semblance of a run of games that is.

certainly be reminding you when Souness is binned...

anyway, it is relevant. Some of us feel that while this manager is here, we are quite entitled to remind people of his crass errors, until he deliver similar results to his predecessor

58171[/snapback]

:lol:

He's right like LM. Respond to what's been posted mate - we all know you don't like Souness and you love Bellamy. There's no need to remind us in every post you make.

58177[/snapback]

Really? I think some people do need reminding.

Anyway, to the point. Who were these 6 regular starters missing from the team?

Starting at the back. Is anyone suggesting that Taylor, at this early stage of his career, is going to make a huge difference? He's made mistakes in matches this season just the same as Bramble has. As it happens, I would actually consider Taylor a first choice, but I don't think Souness does and that's what we're talking about. I think Souness believes his best back 4 is :

Carr, Boumsong, Bramble, Babayaro. I don't see that as any better than what we saw yesterday. Does anybody?

What about the midfield? Who was missing from the midfield? Luque? An unknown quantity, who may or may not adjust to the EPL.

Strikers yes, Owen and " on his last legs " Alan Shearer.

With everyone fit I reckon there would have been 4 changes to that team yesterday, not 6. Of those 4 players only 1 is top class.

LM, it isn't relevant at all. The question was do you think Dyer can be considered a regular starter? Your answer to this question was "he's not a bigger asset than Craig Bellamy". Not an answer to the question and therefore not relevant. It was followed by an equally irrelevant rant about money spent.

I posted as much about Taylor elsewhere. I don't think we can go on too much about how much we missed him yesterday, given his tendency to make mistakes/lose concentration too.

As for how many first-teamers we've got out - hard to say really as until we've got them all fit and all to pick from, it's difficult to know what the first team really is. It would just be nice to have that luxury.

LM, it isn't relevant at all.  The question was do you think Dyer can be considered a regular starter?  Your answer to this question was "he's not a bigger asset than Craig Bellamy".  Not an answer to the question and therefore not relevant.  It was followed by an equally irrelevant rant about money spent.

58182[/snapback]

Well, we all have our point of view. As everyone was swooning over Solano, surely you aren't discarding him already ? Same as Boumsong when he came, see another thread.

There is a bigger picture as well, which is quite simply that there was a time we wouldn't even have considered a question like this, but that was under a different manager who got better results.

I am pleased that you, an accountant, can sniff at 50m quid and a worse performance for the money, so easily.

LM, it isn't relevant at all.  The question was do you think Dyer can be considered a regular starter?  Your answer to this question was "he's not a bigger asset than Craig Bellamy".  Not an answer to the question and therefore not relevant.  It was followed by an equally irrelevant rant about money spent.

58182[/snapback]

Well, we all have our point of view. As everyone was swooning over Solano, surely you aren't discarding him already ? Same as Boumsong when he came, see another thread.

There is a bigger picture as well, which is quite simply that there was a time we wouldn't even have considered a question like this, but that was under a different manager who got better results.

I am pleased that you, an accountant, can sniff at 50m quid and a worse performance for the money, so easily.

58184[/snapback]

No I'm not discarding Solano, but I do feel he needs to start looking the part a bit more - neat little passes in the middle of the park are all well and good, but we bought him to deliver quality into the box. He needs to start doing that.

I'm not sure what your point about the bigger picture is tbh - are you saying that in the past Dyer was a guaranteed first choice and so the question didn't need to be asked? Or are you making some other point?

As for the question of the 50m quid - I'm not sniffing at it, just pointing out that it had fuck all to do with the topic at hand.

58182[/snapback]

58184[/snapback]

No I'm not discarding Solano, but I do feel he needs to start looking the part a bit more - neat little passes in the middle of the park are all well and good, but we bought him to deliver quality into the box. He needs to start doing that.

I'm not sure what your point about the bigger picture is tbh - are you saying that in the past Dyer was a guaranteed first choice and so the question didn't need to be asked? Or are you making some other point?

As for the question of the 50m quid - I'm not sniffing at it, just pointing out that it had fuck all to do with the topic at hand.

58188[/snapback]

a point I have made before.......and I'm making no excuses for mentioning Bellamy here....is it wasn't just balls into the box, he was also picking out Bellamys runs up front, he played to Bellamys strength, and Bellamy was good for him too. Now there is no one up front making runs looking for forward and penetrating balls.

I do believe you are losing your rag. My point is, and always has been, for 50m quid we should have a better team AND a better SQUAD than when he came.

Edited by LeazesMag

I can assure you I'm not losing my rag. :lol:

A serious question: are you EVER going to recover from the fact that Bellamy doesn't play for us anymore?

I don't mean to sound flippant or like I'm taking the piss as that's not what I'm trying to do. But seriously, he is gone and he's never coming back. And I know you think we were better off with him and feel duty-bound to point this out constantly, but do you not get bored of going on about him?

You may well be right about Solano and Bellamy, but now we've only got one of them then surely it's up to Solano to find passes for the players that DO play for us - I accept that there is also a duty on those players to make themselves available.

Only concerned about Newcastle Gem, and that is primarily what I am talking about, so I think until he improves on what he had when he came, in terms of results etc, we are all entitled to point out what, in our opinions, are the reasons why or why not ?

That IS the point, isn't it ?

Anyway...I'll answer your question, and hopefully put the thread "back on track".

In the absence of no one up front making runs, I would play Dyer, if he was fully fit. That was his position when he was at Ipswich, and has always been his position rather than a central one anyway. OK ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Only concerned about Newcastle Gem, and that is primarily what I am talking about, so I think until he improves on what he had when he came, in terms of results etc, we are all entitled to point out what, in our opinions, are the reasons why or why not ?

That IS the point, isn't it ?

Anyway...I'll answer your question, and hopefully put the thread "back on track".

In the absence of no one up front making runs, I would play Dyer, if he was fully fit. That was his position when he was at Ipswich, and has always been his position rather than a central one anyway. OK ?

58198[/snapback]

Yes thanks.

And no mention of the "B"-word. It's a start. :lol:

SOUNESS OUT!!1!!!ONE!ONE!1111

FROTH FJKDHFDJKSHJKADHFJKADHFKASFDAFHADADJFHADFDUAHF

DKSKLJFDHFJDHJFDSHJFSDHJKFHASDFHADFADLAD

58194[/snapback]

proclaim the new acronym king !! :lol: