NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

FTAO howmaheyman....was you at this Davey?...Leicester away 92.....

No, I did get to Filbert Street a couple of times but not this one. I briefly worked with a kid who lost an eye at the game you're talking about. The 5-4 defeat where Quinny scored a hat-trick and where future hero David Kelly hit three for them is the only game I've been to where we parked by lifting the car up and moving it into a tight parking space side on. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Average Arsenal getting beat by even 'averager' Newcastle United at Highbury watched by an amazing 17,000 supporters* in the first division.

*Football wasn't as popular amongst the chattering classes of Islington back then and they hadn't competed for the title for a few years at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

k0lqbo.jpg

Frank Clark: “Our end-of-season trip took us to the Far East – places like Tehran, Bangkok and, finally, Hong Kong. We played Santos at Happy Valley.

“We were 2-1 up at half-time with goals from John Tudor, and a 30-yard screamer from Tony Green.

“We were the better team before the break, but it was a different matter after half-time.

“As well as Pele, I remember Edu was playing, and he was really impressive. The great Brazilian full-back Carlos Alberto was also playing.

“Anyway, Pele suddenly decided to turn it on. He scored three fantastic goals in about 15 minutes.

“Not only was Pele skillful, he was as hard as nails – and so powerful. After 65 minutes, he went off – and that was it. We lost 4-2 but it was a great experience being on the same pitch as the world’s best player.

“I’ve got a photo of me tackling Pele hanging on my wall.”

John Tudor: “I remember Tony Green’s 30-yard wonder goal, it was all Newcastle in the first half, and Pele had done nowt.

“Then for fifteen minutes we were in the presence of greatness.

“Pele ’s skill, close control and acceleration were just incredible.

“He was like a flash of lightning. He scored three goals. Job done and he was off. What a footballer.”

Tony Green: “There was no applause for Newcastle. Everybody had come to see Pele.

“He was superb, terrific. I’d played against players like Dennis Law, George Best and Bobby Charlton, but Pele wasa different class.”

And is he the greatest ever player?

Green pauses, and says: “I used to think so. Then I saw the little fella who plays for Barcelona – Messi. He is just incredible, but then again he hasn’t won three World Cups like Pele did.”

• 4 weeks later...

BrumRHtCQAEH2HV.jpg

Spent a season in these West stand Paddocks near the Leazes end in what was the family enclosure as my Dad was a bit worried when I got squashed the year before when in the Gallowgate end. Loads of views of tartan blankets and flasks behind me as well. PL carrying on the flask and blanket tradition to this day in the East stand. :good:

Edited by Howmanheyman

BrumRHtCQAEH2HV.jpg

Spent a season in these West stand Paddocks near the Leazes end in what was the family enclosure as my Dad was a bit worried when I got squashed the year before when in the Gallowgate end. Loads of views of tartan blankets and flasks behind me as well. PL carrying on the flask and blanket tradition to this day in the East stand. :good:

That'll be the South East Corner, but basically aye :D

• 3 weeks later...