NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

Wasn't the one above it (from the Leazes) originally coloured? It was in one of the football stadium books about 1990/1. Despite the fact that the ground was open at both ends, I always liked the notion of it. In truth, it didn't, but from that vantage point, I felt it made the stadium appear rather impressive/modern/continental, especially in comparison to all the pitched rooves and roof trusses everywhere else. The fact that the image was bathed in sunlight aided an overall like.

6 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I used to love the massive painted NEWCASTLE UNITED the hight and length of the corrugated back of the stand

That’s my first clear memory of the ground, Light blue on a blue background wasn’t it? 

• Like 2

That first one of the West Stand takes me back. 
My Dad used to take me and my brother to games in the 1970s and we’d go in there, me and Bro Fist right down at the front, literally pitch level, and Da Fist would usually be up by the wall in the middle. 
I remember looking over at the Leazes end and being terrified, :lol:, in my defence I was only 5-6yrs old. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That first one of the West Stand takes me back. 
My Dad used to take me and my brother to games in the 1970s and we’d go in there, me and Bro Fist right down at the front, literally pitch level, and Da Fist would usually be up by the wall in the middle. 
I remember looking over at the Leazes end and being terrified, :lol:, in my defence I was only 5-6yrs old. 

I used to go in those paddocks closest to the Leazes end with my dad as well when I was younger but the Leazes was pulled down by then. It's funny the things that stick in your head but I always associate it with the clap clap song being at HT as well as Nik Kershaw's Don Quixote pre- match. :lol:

• Haha 3

The corner for me although a few early games on the popular side......I was told as a kid the Leazes End was full of bad lads & nutters

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1

First game was in the Leazes, when the match was called off at half time.  Bit of robust complaining at the time I recall.  That was when the roof was still on.

Also, chucked out of the Gallowgate for sitting on the wall.  Bit embarrassing, but probably less embarrassing than what I was wearing at the time.  Late 70's so the decade which fashion forgot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I was in the old West Stand once only. Boxing Day 1986 against Everton. We lost 4-0. Don't remember a great deal aside from people stamping their feet and the whole bloody structure shaking! 

The covered Leazes End was before my time but thinking about it I've watched a match from every vantage point available since the mid 80s - old West Stand, West paddocks, Leazes End Terrace, East Paddock Benches, East Stand, Gallowgate Terrace (Corner, Scoreboard & Centre West), Milburn, Leazes Stand, Gallowgate Stand & Level 7. Actually I've never watched one from a box - be it the proper ones or the portakabin ones on the East Stand. 

6 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Taking the roof off the Leazes was the worst thing to happen to the club until the 4-3

I assume the concrete blocks they installed half way back were supposed to be what the front of the intended stand was to sit on. It was supposed to be a continuation of the East Stand wasn't it? 

12 minutes ago, Craig said:

I assume the concrete blocks they installed half way back were supposed to be what the front of the intended stand was to sit on. It was supposed to be a continuation of the East Stand wasn't it? 

Relegation in 77/78 meant it all went tits up....if completed it would have taken in the old stand as well leaving just the Gallowgate open. If you trawl through google there is a picture of what it would have looked like somewhere 

On 08/09/2022 at 17:57, spongebob toonpants said:

I used to love the massive painted NEWCASTLE UNITED the hight and length of the corrugated back of the stand

On 08/09/2022 at 18:06, Monkeys Fist said:

That’s my first clear memory of the ground, Light blue on a blue background wasn’t it? 

81719757-7E7A-4256-B474-B5F81840913D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2