NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Craig said:

I used to have this on VHS, loved learning about the history of the club when I was growing up.

I remember thinking at the time, and still do, wtf was the shit song/choir boy bit in the front about? 

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I remember thinking at the time, and still do, wtf was the shit song/choir boy bit in the front about? 

Yeah it's a bit odd. 

Mackems would be absolutely fewming watching this mind you with Stokoe talking so openly about his love of playing for Newcastle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Tell what’s a canny read from that era - Charlie Crowe’s Newcastle United Scrapbook. 

Never read that but for £3 on Amazon it's getting ordered. Cheers Alex :good:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

26 years ago...... imagine being an opposing defender and seeing Shearer/Ferdinand/Beardsley/Ginola in the same team with Tino on the bench

1.37.20 Ginola ripping the piss out of Neville

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Related to the city rather than specifically the club but some background on the previous Tyne Bridge(s)

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but the street High Bridge, which crosses Grey Street,  is named after the bridge which crossed the Lort Burn there, before it was culverted and Grey Street was built. 
The Lort Burn still flows under Grey Street, and empties in to the Tyne just east of the Guildhall. ( Lort is Old English/Norse meaning “shit, rubbish” so the nicest street in the Uk is built on the Shit Burn). 
The High Bridge is still there, under the street, as it was just built in to the sewer/culvert rather than knocking it down. 
CA0B08B8-253F-4DC7-99FA-0D487409CC9D.jpeg.16d37bbd237eb6a7ffdb571e65909074.jpeg

The large stone blocks at the top are the actual bridge, the smaller arch further back is part of the sewer construction. 

( the white dot is obviously a ghost and the red blur is Derek Acorah shitting himself). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Any idea when that’s from Craig? 

I’d guess at around 1930? 

1940 I think. This guy is worth a follow on Twitter. Interesting to learn the Luftwaffe once mistook Wylam Bridge for the Tyne Bridge.

• Like 2