NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

In that Mirandinha clip I would bet the crowd made more noise than a full house would these days for a goal, or at least that's the impression I get!

Google Newcastle 5 Leicester 4 and stick it in youtube. Listen to the roar when McGhee makes it 5-4. Thing of the past that noo, only 21,000 or so there too.

Best noise I can remember was first home game of the season against Spurs who Gazza had just joined, we'd lost 4-0 at the blue dippers the week before, and were supposed to get stuffed off Spurs too, but we were winning 2-0 after 4 minutes, both goals at a dangerously full Gallowgate End. There was 45,000 in that day imo. Given as about 35,000.

The Leicester 5-4 is still one of my favourite games of all time like. Fucking mental considering we looked completely fucked at 4-2 down with just over 10 mins to go. Gallacher scored IIRC and the place erupted. The players responded believing they could do it and never gave up. We got everything we deserved that day.

Aitken's debut as well wasn't it? 14 years at Celtic and then he came down to us with a game like that. Pretty certain he said something like the atmosphere suppassed any Old Firm game he'd ever been involved in.

That's the most mentallist I have ever been at a match. Totally fuckin' barmy everywhere.

Me and me mates used to sit on the barrier, near the the little exit tunnels which led to the front, honestly from the ball hitting the net to 30 seconds later I ended up at least 80 feet away from one of my mates, and the other we didn't see till we got to the bus stop. Some bloke grabbed my head and went all Royal Rumble on me.

In that Mirandinha clip I would bet the crowd made more noise than a full house would these days for a goal, or at least that's the impression I get!

Google Newcastle 5 Leicester 4 and stick it in youtube. Listen to the roar when McGhee makes it 5-4. Thing of the past that noo, only 21,000 or so there too.

Best noise I can remember was first home game of the season against Spurs who Gazza had just joined, we'd lost 4-0 at the blue dippers the week before, and were supposed to get stuffed off Spurs too, but we were winning 2-0 after 4 minutes, both goals at a dangerously full Gallowgate End. There was 45,000 in that day imo. Given as about 35,000.

Was that the day the new Milburn Stand was openened as well as Gazza being there??? I agree with the attendance stuff anarl, I am positive 'they' used to doctor them - probably for tax purposes.

Milburn first opened it's doors against Spurs, but it was 6 months previous - when Gazza was playing for us and scored both goals in a 2-0 win.

Aye but it wasn't fully open at all 87/88. The whole stand was open that first home game day, was the sunniest day ever at the start of the game. Half time came 2-0 up and the weather changed, and Waddle the cunt scored after 5 seconds of the second half. Here's one for you Craig who did he play all of the 1 2's with? It ended 2-2, but that 2-0 game pissed it doon, best game Gazza had for toon imo, that or the year before when ye took the piss out of Paul McGrath.

Who? Gazza?? And which game we talking about?

The Leicester 5-4 is still one of my favourite games of all time like. Fucking mental considering we looked completely fucked at 4-2 down with just over 10 mins to go. Gallacher scored IIRC and the place erupted. The players responded believing they could do it and never gave up. We got everything we deserved that day.

Aitken's debut as well wasn't it? 14 years at Celtic and then he came down to us with a game like that. Pretty certain he said something like the atmosphere suppassed any Old Firm game he'd ever been involved in.

That's the most mentallist I have ever been at a match. Totally fuckin' barmy everywhere.

That one and the 1-0 v Portsmouth in 1992 for me. I doubt either atmosphere will ever be beaten in my eyes.

Whilst talking about atmospheres does any of you have clear memories of the 7-1 v Leicester on the last day on 1992-93? I think combining Lindisfarne playing live on the new stand with the carnival atmosphere, us being presented with a trophy and us scoring 6 goals before half time just made the whole thing seem surreal and like it wasn't really happening. Boiling hot that day too if I remember.

Personal feelings that day was more about pride in the side than actually elation (as in the two other games I mentioned).

Aye the 1-0 was as mental a celebration, cos we didn't look like scoring. I kept thinking to myself fucking Liverpool couldn't beat these twice last week, so how the fuck are we going to.

The Leicester game was mint, we all had our new ASICS tops on 6-0 at HT didn't flatter us neither. Only thing that spoiled the day was SJH trying to sing we are the champions. In the second half the whole ground was singing Andy Andy Cole, even the East Stand was visibly jumping singing it. I realise probably only 20% of you can relate to this crack, but am tellin you now, they really were the days.

Was that the day the new Milburn Stand was openened as well as Gazza being there??? I agree with the attendance stuff anarl, I am positive 'they' used to doctor them - probably for tax purposes.

Milburn first opened it's doors against Spurs, but it was 6 months previous - when Gazza was playing for us and scored both goals in a 2-0 win.

Aye but it wasn't fully open at all 87/88. The whole stand was open that first home game day, was the sunniest day ever at the start of the game. Half time came 2-0 up and the weather changed, and Waddle the cunt scored after 5 seconds of the second half. Here's one for you Craig who did he play all of the 1 2's with? It ended 2-2, but that 2-0 game pissed it doon, best game Gazza had for toon imo, that or the year before when ye took the piss out of Paul McGrath.

Gazza's return when Waddle scored 5 seconds in to the second half. I hated Tottenham that horrible yellow hummel strip and fuckin Waddle's mullet, it's very easy to forget what a cunt he was.

Gazza's return when Waddle scored 5 seconds in to the second half. I hated Tottenham that horrible yellow hummel strip and fuckin Waddle's mullet, it's very easy to forget what a cunt he was.

Terry Fenwick wasn't it? I do remember all the 1-2s like. And I know Fenwick scored the equaliser.

Terry Fenwick wasn't it? I do remember all the 1-2s like. And I know Fenwick scored the equaliser.

Paul Walsh it was. I can remember looking at the Tottenham fans in the Leazes 1,000 sandwiched in in that corner, and they had one big black fan, fuck knows how I remember that, but they did, I remember me dad pointing him out.

Looking at those pics - I luv out like that - reminds me, has anyone looked at St James' on Google maps with the satellite pic? If you close in a bit, with the road markings on, there's a bit of a funny drawing around the Leazes (you must be in the satellite images bit) :cuppa::(

Maybe if they had taken the opportunity when it presented itself, the new Milburn could have been built 10m, or so, further towards Barrack road, thus enabling the pitch to be moved 10m also, then a bigger East ('New', for all you old fuckers :( ) Stand to be built in the later years? Just a thought, that is too late to consider now I s'pose.

I've still got the program for that and you're half right as far as I can remember...we beat Spurs at home 2 nowt in a fuckin blizzard! :cuppa:

Yeah it was. After he'd been brought in to stiffen the midfield and make us harder to break down :cuppa:

I've still got the program for that and you're half right as far as I can remember...we beat Spurs at home 2 nowt in a fuckin blizzard! :cuppa:

Remember Gazza scoring the first from a free-kick on the edge of the Gallowgate penalty area and then sliding on his arse in celebration all the way to the corner. Class stuff :(

Yeah it was. After he'd been brought in to stiffen the midfield and make us harder to break down :(

I'm sure he played central defence, at least that first game? One memory that sticks in my mind was that i was in the east paddock benches that day and there was a point when we were 4-2 down where he just lost it, stamped his foot and fucking screamed at the rest of the defence. No word of a lie, Kevin Scott (wasn't he the captain up until that game?) jumped out of his skin in fear :cuppa:

Yeah it was. After he'd been brought in to stiffen the midfield and make us harder to break down :(

I'm sure he played central defence, at least that first game? One memory that sticks in my mind was that i was in the east paddock benches that day and there was a point when we were 4-2 down where he just lost it, stamped his foot and fucking screamed at the rest of the defence. No word of a lie, Kevin Scott (wasn't he the captain up until that game?) jumped out of his skin in fear :jesuswept:

You know what it is Craig I used to work at The Journal when I finished my 6th form prematurely, and they have a vast library of newspaper pieces on fische (is it spelt like that). Every article ever published in the Chronicle, the Journal and the Sunday Sun. It's a huge room directly on the floor space above what was the printers pie. We'd have a field day in there eh? I know a kid who's quite high up in the sales side of things, might ask him if he'd let me in for an hour, and get as much stuff as I can because it's been absolutely mint reading this thread. It's brought back so many childhood memories.

You aren't wrong mate. No roof either. Generally much more passionate crowds generally. All to do with standing as opposed to being sat in my opinion. A more social affair too.

Indeed. The goal he scored against Everton at home (bullet header at the Gallowgate) stands out as one where the ground erupted in my memory.

Craig - we need a tardis

Edit

Been trying to find youtube of THE Kelly goal at the death in game before that Leicester away. There was actually a fantastic QED prog at time on how KK turned it all round / how close club was to potential oblivion. I've got it on vhs somewhere in the loft I'm sure. One day . .

I'm the same. I transferred all my official vids to disc a while ago, but have around 20 - 30 home made tapes to do someday.......

:jesuswept:

You aren't wrong mate. No roof either. Generally much more passionate crowds generally. All to do with standing as opposed to being sat in my opinion. A more social affair too.

Indeed. The goal he scored against Everton at home (bullet header at the Gallowgate) stands out as one where the ground erupted in my memory.

Craig - we need a tardis

Edit

Been trying to find youtube of THE Kelly goal at the death in game before that Leicester away. There was actually a fantastic QED prog at time on how KK turned it all round / how close club was to potential oblivion. I've got it on vhs somewhere in the loft I'm sure. One day . .

I'm the same. I transferred all my official vids to disc a while ago, but have around 20 - 30 home made tapes to do someday.......

:jesuswept:

:(:lol:

Absolutely class thread this even if I'm a bit too young to remember a lot of it. Did anyone ever go to the training ground to meet the players? I went as a bairn in the 96/97 season and managed to meet the majority of them bar Shearer who had to stay around because of an injury. Pav was a proper gent, as were Pedro and Ginola who I remember telling me I should use my left foot more. Fuck knows why, I could have been left-footed for all he knew. I'll try and dig out the pictures since I'm sure Batty was saying something as the picture was being taken so he looks like a right gorm.

image4ij.jpg

Me and a lad I worked with got thrown out by the police at the 1st leg game v boro in '92 for the terrible crime of jumping into the grass on the Gallowgate stairs to get into the corner where the rest of our mob were. Anyway, undeterred, we climbed over the wall roughly where that lad is standing in this pic. I gave my mate a bunk up and he helped me up when he was on the wall. Trouble was there was glass embedded in the wall and I cut my hand open and had to cadge a load of paper napkins from the burger kiosk under the corner of the Gallowgate to stem the blood and took the thursday and friday off work as I was using hand tools at the time. Should've just went for a pint instead but hey, you used to do things like this back then. :nufc:

Yeah it was. After he'd been brought in to stiffen the midfield and make us harder to break down :nufc:

yep definitely Aitkins debut, he was a shite player for us though, made Jan Molby look like Speedy Gonzales.

his debut is my favourite match too. I was in the scoreboard, it was absolutely mental in there, everyone was still going mental for ages after the final whistle, you’d have thought we’d won the cup!

I remember walking home up the West Road afterwards as traffic was at a snails pace and you could tell if someone had been to the match by their insane grins!

Absolutely class thread this even if I'm a bit too young to remember a lot of it. Did anyone ever go to the training ground to meet the players? I went as a bairn in the 96/97 season and managed to meet the majority of them bar Shearer who had to stay around because of an injury. Pav was a proper gent, as were Pedro and Ginola who I remember telling me I should use my left foot more. Fuck knows why, I could have been left-footed for all he knew. I'll try and dig out the pictures since I'm sure Batty was saying something as the picture was being taken so he looks like a right gorm.

I went to Benwell Hill a few times as a kid, was right beside my school too. You could just walk in, not like it is today the players were all dressed after training and I had a ball with me and I nut megged Mirandinha, another claim to fame. Gazza ruffled my hair in a "gooooooooooood lad" type of way.

I was often at Maiden Castle to watch the training under KK and Dalglish. It was always fascinating to watch your heroes.

So many memories:

Went to watch pre season and the fitness work was often done over the river. Had a really good, long chat with Benny K who was buzzing about Denmark's Championship win.

Met KK while on the mini suspended bridge over the Wear as he was going to the main centre and asked him how the pre season was going "The lads are fine pal but I'm knackered!"

Huge numbers turned up for the first session after Clarkie and Cole's tantrums.

Batty and Albert completely filling the interior of Shearer's brand new Jag XKR with compost/grass cuttings!! The smell was horrendous and unsurprisingly Al was not amused! George Taylor was sent to take it away to be valeted.

Venison hoofing a ball miles away shouting "Why aren't the fucking balls at the correct pressure!" KK yells "Venners, language, there are kids here" Captain then mumbles "Sorry gaffer"

In the sprints, Terry Mac easily coasting past Quinny and KK laughing his head off!

I could go on!!!

Edited by East Stander

My cousin got married not far from Maiden Castle around that time. On our way to the ceremony me and my dad stopped off to watch a bit of training. We both had suits on, and my dad was taking a call on his mobile (this is in the time when not many people had them, he only had it because he worked away at the time). You could see the young kids watching us, must've thought I was a prospective signing and the old fella was my agent :lol:

It was never the same at Chester le Street. Guillit's training sessions were excellent though.

There was basically a large garden shed next to the changing rooms where the rehab work was done. We were convinced it was Ferguson's pigeon cree as he always just walked straight over there at the start if every session. In the build up to the FA Cup semi against Spurs everyone was desperately watching to see if he was going to make it for training or go and feed the pigeons! He went to feed the pigeons and we were gutted he wasn't going to make the semi.

As we all know he did come on and that Sol Campbell bloke crumbled when he saw him come on. Wonder what happened to him??!!!