NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

Quinn's 4th goal on his debut in 1989. 50 seconds in and yours truly, aged 12 is seen in Co-op ball-boy garb running towards Mick Quinn to celebrate. http://www.toontastic.net/board/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blush2.gif

This might sound stupid (and apologies if it does) but I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has posted stuff and talked about the footage and images on here, some of them really are my best memories of the match.

I've got a VHS video tape somewhere made up of clips recorded off Look North and Tyne tees (usually exactly the same footage), that seems to be mainly made up of Gazza's toon career (Palace, Swindon and Blackpool cup ties all spring instantly to mind).

I cannot get the playback to work on this video but I'm pretty sure I'll be on there as well after the fourth goal, I'm running around with a pink polo shirt and wooly hat on (in August, kids man haha). I was pretty obsessed as a kid, everything revolved around football and NUFC most importantly. I probably spent more time watching what was going on in the corner than what was happening on the pitch. Its funny how memories are linked to each other, I cannot say they are crystal-clear any more but they are full of thoughts and emotion. I don't know how kids nowadays could possibly have the same emotional attachment to this diluted, plastic shite that masquerades for football these days. Everything seemed more real, i don't know if you could say grittier, but maybe it was just a was a wide-eyes kid trying to take it all in?

My memories of those days are so strong in parts, from probably the mid-80s to mid-90s. I would struggle to tell you the results from the season before last but i could probably have a decent bash at listing the Keegan promotion season (almost in chronological order).

I've got a shoe boxes of tickets, a big box of programmes/paper articles and a storage box of old VHS tapes, I'll try and find some stuff not already posted and stick it on here at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound stupid (and apologies if it does) but I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has posted stuff and talked about the footage and images on here, some of them really are my best memories of the match.

I've got a VHS video tape somewhere made up of clips recorded off Look North and Tyne tees (usually exactly the same footage), that seems to be mainly made up of Gazza's toon career (Palace, Swindon and Blackpool cup ties all spring instantly to mind).

I cannot get the playback to work on this video but I'm pretty sure I'll be on there as well after the fourth goal, I'm running around with a pink polo shirt and wooly hat on (in August, kids man haha). I was pretty obsessed as a kid, everything revolved around football and NUFC most importantly. I probably spent more time watching what was going on in the corner than what was happening on the pitch. Its funny how memories are linked to each other, I cannot say they are crystal-clear any more but they are full of thoughts and emotion. I don't know how kids nowadays could possibly have the same emotional attachment to this diluted, plastic shite that masquerades for football these days. Everything seemed more real, i don't know if you could say grittier, but maybe it was just a was a wide-eyes kid trying to take it all in?

My memories of those days are so strong in parts, from probably the mid-80s to mid-90s. I would struggle to tell you the results from the season before last but i could probably have a decent bash at listing the Keegan promotion season (almost in chronological order).

I've got a shoe boxes of tickets, a big box of programmes/paper articles and a storage box of old VHS tapes, I'll try and find some stuff not already posted and stick it on here at some point.

Aye I spotted ya... 50 seconds in - right before I do my jig along the touchline! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBqbNQe3xk8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice sunday afternoon at Highbury when our club wanted to compete to the best of their abilities.

I think there were later sides that were better balanced and more 'effective' but, particularly at home, I think that team that season played just about the best football I've ever seen from a Newcastle side. Some of the one / two touch flowing football was unbelievable and players like Sellars were quite underrated.

I think there were later sides that were better balanced and more 'effective' but, particularly at home, I think that team that season played just about the best football I've ever seen from a Newcastle side. Some of the one / two touch flowing football was unbelievable and players like Sellars were quite underrated.

Sellars was class, not sure who underrated him, Alex? He didn't have a great engine but he had a vision and a pass on him that would shame our current midfield. Think there was a tale I heard about him watching Ginola's first training session after Daveed signed and turning round to Bez and saying 'That's me fucked' as they both played on the left of midfield. :lol:

Sellars was class, not sure who underrated him, Alex? He didn't have a great engine but he had a vision and a pass on him that would shame our current midfield. Think there was a tale I heard about him watching Ginola's first training session after Daveed signed and turning round to Bez and saying 'That's me fucked' as they both played on the left of midfield. :lol:

I don't think that many people regarded Sellars as being that good. After all, he left the club for a fairly small fee and went to Bolton, who weren't exactly challenging for honours. I don't remember a massive outcry or anything either at the time (I realise Ginola came in and people had faith in KK's judgement). I thought he was class too but I think he was the sort of player who perhaps isn't appreciated until they have left (connoisseurs like you and I notwithstanding ;) ). I think he 'made' Beresford, as his ability to thread a pass (especially under pressure) allowed Bez to make those runs knowing he'd get the ball far more often than not. Obviously someone like Sellars needed a player like Beresford making those runs too though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Considering that's the local rag, some of the tags are horribly wrong. Dismantling the fences in 1986? Someone point Hillsborough was 3 years later.

And as for saying the East Stand being built was the Gallowgate End!!!

I've still got the programme from the first game I went to (Howard Gayle of all people on the cover). The adverts in it are fucking awesome. I will try and think on and scan a few and post them on here.

• 1 month later...

Just seen our 1974 semi v Burnley linked on TF. Obviously seen the goals before but it's the first time I've seen the actual highlights. Must have been superb to be on the Kop at Hillsborough that day, brilliant atmosphere, the commentary is great as well for SuperMac's goals. Just go to the second half and enjoy. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRRD9y1mGGU

Anyone else on here who was behind that goal when Sheedy scored? :lol:

Not sure if this was the game where overcrowding outside and limited turnstiles lead to a crush where some gates were burst open and everyone just swarmed in?

P.S. How the fuck was that second goal disallowed?