NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

and in other news from the environs of SJP, the cobbled alley that runs from opposite the Strawberry up to the East Stand (see post 245) has now been covered in tarmac.

Edited by Bibble

and in other news from the environs of SJP, the cobbled alley that runs from opposite the Strawberry up to the East Stand (see post 245) has now been covered in tarmac.

I noticed that too. It looks wierd after all those years and not as aesthetic.

I noticed that too. It looks wierd after all those years and not as aesthetic.

Agreed. The cobbles might have been getting a bit wonky in places but it's another bit of ground related local history gone. How many fans have trod on them over the years? Wouldn't be surprised if they dated from late 19th/early 20th century.

I remember when that print was commissioned. Begged my Mam to buy me it but she said there's no way I'm having a painting of SJP hanging on the wall! :lol:

Love the subtle, sumbliminal features eg. the magpies in the tree in the foreground, people piling out of Rosies, Bertie Bassett going into the Leazes End, the van with S.Seymour on it, Metroland for some reason in the background and old Stevie on the touchline not far from our bench.

I remember when that print was commissioned. Begged my Mam to buy me it but she said there's no way I'm having a painting of SJP hanging on the wall! :lol:

Love the subtle, sumbliminal features eg. the magpies in the tree in the foreground, people piling out of Rosies, Bertie Bassett going into the Leazes End, the van with S.Seymour on it, Metroland for some reason in the background and old Stevie on the touchline not far from our bench.

Got it via The Mag I'm sure. Used to have a first floor flat with a return stair and was pride of place on the landing. Stored it when moved so it's not above the fireplace infront of a NUFC rug or nowt ha !

Yeah like you say i like it for its subtleties and it captures a mood and time pretty well for me. The lads inside the skip outside Rosies being me favourite :icon_lol: I remember watching the highlights after the day and Surgeon Hall was interviewed and was a good few s heets to the wind and was obviously talking of his joy at the day and the efforts by all at the achievement "this is the icing on the cape (sic)"

I only wish David Kelly was afforded a crack with us at Premiership football. Was nobody more deserving for us. I used to love watching him as much for his off the ball graft as anything, constantly chasing defenders down and making runs. Top top bloke too.

The below is day after the amazing Grimsby . What a fuckin night that was :icon_lol: ("Kelllleeeey!!" Got a Radio Newcastle/Metro tape somewhere i found for 50p or summat in HMV that they released with Mick Lowes' great goal commentaries of promotion season somewhere too now I think) . Keegan's cap man haha

Sad news that mind. I bet it would have been down to some swipecard dangling, shit-sniffing Health & Safety jobsworth at Council .

The reason the old West Stand had to go... still frightening to this day the speed that it engulfed the structure. And this one was mercifully pitch-side. Our stand had a 10ft drop at least into the paddocks below!

Sad news that mind. I bet it would have been down to some swipecard dangling, shit-sniffing Health & Safety jobsworth at Council .

always used to be fun when some idiot decided to drive down there honking their horn just as 30,000 people tried to go the same way - we used to walk right over the cars

always used to be fun when some idiot decided to drive down there honking their horn just as 30,000 people tried to go the same way - we used to walk right over the cars

<_< I can just picture it too ! A choice of route only taken once. Remember when berks that beeped while trying to get by Strawberry having their cars rocked like cots too.

We used to exit the ground via the express route of a 'dangle and drop' from back wall at top of the corner. huge electric cables an allsorts running along it thinking back haha.

<_< I can just picture it too ! A choice of route only taken once. Remember when berks that beeped while trying to get by Strawberry having their cars rocked like cots too.

We used to exit the ground via the express route of a 'dangle and drop' from back wall at top of the corner. huge electric cables an allsorts running along it thinking back haha.

Beep beep "fuck off" then over the road to Keegans hot dogs 60p hot dog with onions, seemed like a gourmet meal in them days.

:( I can just picture it too ! A choice of route only taken once. Remember when berks that beeped while trying to get by Strawberry having their cars rocked like cots too.

Beep beep "fuck off" then over the road to Keegans hot dogs 60p hot dog with onions, seemed like a gourmet meal in them days.

Compare to the gristle and gravy pie you got inside the ground for over a quid it was!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome memories. Love the way the Leazes Terrace just erupts when Bracewell's shot goes in against Southend.

Part deux

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for the commentary, (Charles Harrrison). Was at this game on a boiling hot day, was packed. Goddard was on a mission to drag us up away from a relegation spot and a couple of hours after the game I ended up in the RVI wiyh my dad as I'd done my leg in and remember seeing a Man U fans in casualty, I said something like, "they must've had an accident at the game" to my dad. I was a naive kid back then, like.

The night we ruled Anfield.... well on the terraces anyway.... ;)

Still got my ticket stub for this. There was around 14,000 there and a running battle on the way back to the buses. Shite policing and sore winners; mustn't have liked being out sung and having parts of their main stands full of Geordies.

Apologies for the commentary, (Charles Harrrison). Was at this game on a boiling hot day, was packed. Goddard was on a mission to drag us up away from a relegation spot and a couple of hours after the game I ended up in the RVI wiyh my dad as I'd done my leg in and remember seeing a Man U fans in casualty, I said something like, "they must've had an accident at the game" to my dad. I was a naive kid back then, like.

I was near the front of Gallowgate West that game and couldnt see fuck all, Strachan scored a goal and the ball stuck in the stanchion. Where's our other goal too?? Beardsley's final game that the first time.

I was near the front of Gallowgate West that game and couldnt see fuck all, Strachan scored a goal and the ball stuck in the stanchion. Where's our other goal too?? Beardsley's final game that the first time.

First thing you see is them hacking dirty bastards. Couldn't stand them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got this from the fb page.... looks like someone was a Lee Payne fan :D

I think this was from the live Sunday game v manu the season we went down, nowts each?.....check out the manu side...Garton? Gill? Ralph fuckin Milne? :D Fergie's brought them a long way.

Was up most of the night before this match getting bombed in various ways..then straight into the Strawberry for the best part of a gallon of draught Becks, into the ground where I promptly fell over right in front one of Northumbria's finest..."a knaa ye are fuckin wrecked but just fuckin behave" he uttered whilst helping me to my feet, best copper Ive ever met at a football game :)

looks like I'm struggling to embed this is the link

• 4 weeks later...
310570_2377340671967_1204118309_2892079_626651869_n.jpg

Great photo that like, Craig. I also remember that cup game v Liverpool, which I hadn't noticed was posted before (was it broadcast live? I seem to remember watching the whole game on telly).

Edited by alex

Aye I think you're right. Friday night, on the telly and still 10,000 of us there.

That latest photo I'm presuming is the North East Corner of the ground before the Leazes End was pulled down?