Mike Ashley plans to remain Newcastle owner for at least two more years

Tom

The lesson that dictates that you can't simply throw massive wages around in order to lure players who otherwise probably wouldn't be interested in playing for the club.

I can't say I agree with that necessarily. I think the lesson of last season was don't keep your wallet shut when you obviously need to spend on some quality.

Most decent players won't come to any non-London club unless they're paid massive wages or have a reasonable prospect of success (and for top players it usually means both). They don't need imo to be 'interested in playing for the club' they just need to be professional and have pride in their performances.

The club was so badly managed last season, with players being allowed to take the piss, losing motivation and becoming demoralised or disinterested by all accounts. It's difficult to be objective about the players when the club was in such a mess and they spent a large part of the season under the "direction" of JFK.

I don't subscribe totally to the 'dead wood out' theory. There were some bad and washed up players in there, no doubt, (Smith and Geremi for instance) but it's interesting that some of the poorer value players have left us to prosper elsewhere at smaller clubs. Look at Carr (now at Birmingham City) - apparently rushed back too soon from injury time and again - or Duff (Fulham). Or N'Zogbia (Wigan). A managerial merry-go-round, inept medical staff, inept management, inept directors, a club at war. It doesn't help you perform I expect, especially when your confidence is low. By contrast we''ve had a bit of stability this season in a poor league.

Perhaps we need to gamble less in future on older players, sick notes and nutters but we'll get nowhere next season (if promoted) if we don't invest in buying in some premiership standard talent. We need to be prepared to invest wisely but I think it's also about having a professional set up, a decent manager who can spend cannily, a stable club and a good support. We don't need to spunk ridiculous amounts of cash on risky signings but we do need to start raising the standard to prem levels. Starting with a goal scorer for instance.

If we don't offer decent wages and show some ambition to lure good players, they won't come. With the current journeymen and CH in charge I think we'll struggle. And if I was on Tyneside I'd think twice about going to see that week in week out. Shepherd understood above all the fans need something to look forward to and cheer.

If we don't offer decent wages and show some ambition to lure good players, they won't come. With the current journeymen and CH in charge I think we'll struggle. And if I was on Tyneside I'd think twice about going to see that week in week out. Shepherd understood above all the fans need something to look forward to and cheer.

I agree with the first part, but I honestly can't see any sort of large scale purchase happening before next season. No doubt there will be some movement on the market, as there should theoretically be a larger pool of players to pick from in the off-season. In particular I think Ashley will be directing Hughton to have a good look over the players in the Portsmouth, Burnley and Hull sides as they'll look to snap some of their more talented players up on the cheap as those clubs are forced to adjust their wage bill appropriately (though relative to us they've probably already got modest wage bills).

The idea of buying promising young players and bringing them through the system is theoretically a good one where-by somehow hopefully the players will form an attachment to the club so they won't be forced to shell out the larger wages to attract out of towners. What it doesn't allow for is the current quality of the first team, which will need some reshaping. Nicky Butt's wages should cover a pretty decent player I would imagine for starters, depending how much the actual transfer costs (as I speak no doubt Ashley will have Hughton looking over players on the final years of their contracts). The other problem with bringing through youth players is that the club really does have a pretty horrible record of doing so. The best player to come out of the Newcastle area of late is Michael Carrick and he was nicked from under our noses by a London side. Seldom do we see the best performers in our youth/reserve sides given a reasonable chance to prove themselves in the top side - look at Kazenga Lualua, he's been showing promise for some time and it looked like he might crack it into the first team on occassion, now he's slipped back off the radar and has been loaned out.

I agree with the first part, but I honestly can't see any sort of large scale purchase happening before next season. No doubt there will be some movement on the market, as there should theoretically be a larger pool of players to pick from in the off-season. In particular I think Ashley will be directing Hughton to have a good look over the players in the Portsmouth, Burnley and Hull sides as they'll look to snap some of their more talented players up on the cheap as those clubs are forced to adjust their wage bill appropriately (though relative to us they've probably already got modest wage bills).

The idea of buying promising young players and bringing them through the system is theoretically a good one where-by somehow hopefully the players will form an attachment to the club so they won't be forced to shell out the larger wages to attract out of towners. What it doesn't allow for is the current quality of the first team, which will need some reshaping. Nicky Butt's wages should cover a pretty decent player I would imagine for starters, depending how much the actual transfer costs (as I speak no doubt Ashley will have Hughton looking over players on the final years of their contracts). The other problem with bringing through youth players is that the club really does have a pretty horrible record of doing so. The best player to come out of the Newcastle area of late is Michael Carrick and he was nicked from under our noses by a London side. Seldom do we see the best performers in our youth/reserve sides given a reasonable chance to prove themselves in the top side - look at Kazenga Lualua, he's been showing promise for some time and it looked like he might crack it into the first team on occassion, now he's slipped back off the radar and has been loaned out.

I don't think Ashley will put his hand in his pocket full stop, I was just suggesting this wasn't necessarily a good thing. Interesting point about Portsmouth, Burnley, Hull - I guess the question would be whether those talented players will command a bigger fee and wages somewhere else - the answer almost certainly being yes. I just can't see Ashley risking more than a few mill on transfer fees at best and there will no doubt be an overall wage cap on wages meaning we'll have to shift the higher paid players before we can sign anyone.

imo Leazes is dead right when he says there is no ambition to achieve anything more than profitable survival.

The youth strategy is a not just a good idea it's common sense and maybe our best chance of competing in the future. I'm not convinced there's any intention of hanging on to our best young players though, more of a plan to sell them off at a big profit when they start getting decent offers. That's not a bad thing because if we've no ambition to compete and won't pay these youngsters competitive wages, they'll piss off anyway the minute they get a better offer, much like Waddle, Gascoigne etc (another of Leazes points). Hopefully it won't come to that. However as you say, we're not seeing a conveyor belt of talent coming through to the first team yet - the suspicion remains this is something we're still a bit shit at, so it might not be a problem anyway.

Sorry to be so gloomy, I'm just struggling to see the upside in the current situation. I do think with a handful of canny purchases offseason we could transform our prospects, but I don't think it will happen for a variety of reasons.

As the chairman has already indicated any 'plans' Ashley has about the club and his ownership of it are dependent on forces beyond his control anyway. And he's a fat lying cunt.

As the chairman has already indicated any 'plans' Ashley has about the club and his ownership of it are dependent on forces beyond his control anyway. And he's a fat lying cunt.

Pithy :lol:

Some absolute bollocks in this thread like. Have people somehow forgotten that next season we will be in the Premiership with Chris Hughton as our manager? :lol::jonas:

Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me.....you can't get fooled again :blush:

Some absolute bollocks in this thread like. Have people somehow forgotten that next season we will be in the Premiership with Chris Hughton as our manager? :lol::blush:

I think he'll do well and is growing in the job.

Whats funnier was the clamour for Shearer with no coaching experience and no management experience. Scoring a hat-ful of goals doesn't make you a good manager.

Some absolute bollocks in this thread like. Have people somehow forgotten that next season we will be in the Premiership with Chris Hughton as our manager? :lol::blush:

Whats funnier was the clamour for Shearer with no coaching experience and no management experience. Scoring a hat-ful of goals doesn't make you a good manager.

Much like the KK appointment, the Shearer one was out of the blue rather than as a result of a 'clamour'. Tabloid-tastic to suggest otherwise.

Some absolute bollocks in this thread like. Have people somehow forgotten that next season we will be in the Premiership with Chris Hughton as our manager? :lol::jonas:

Can't fault him this season and he deserves some credit, a lot of credit in fact. He will be out on his arse before Christmas next season imo. Then I dread to think who the fat cunt will employ since this is the man who thought JFK was up to the job.

Shearer I think would have done a similar job but has the advantage of being a globally famous personality and has links to the club. He had coaching experience and as much managerial experience as Hughton at the time. Are you having a pop at him for a job he was never given a chance to do? :blush:

What's funnier is.... he's made any number of optimistic predictions, none of which have come to fruition, yet he's always ready to play the role of being wise after the event.

Much like the KK appointment, the Shearer one was out of the blue rather than as a result of a 'clamour'. Tabloid-tastic to suggest otherwise.

I am referring more to the various discussions etc on here and elsewhere during the summer.

I have no doubt that if Ashley had appointed Shearer and we had achieved the same as now, Shearer would be being touted as the next big thing, next england manager etc.

For the record I dont think Shearer would have done as well as Hughton has.

Can't fault him this season and he deserves some credit, a lot of credit in fact. He will be out on his arse before Christmas next season imo. Then I dread to think who the fat cunt will employ since this is the man who thought JFK was up to the job.

Shearer I think would have done a similar job but has the advantage of being a globally famous personality and has links to the club. He had coaching experience and as much managerial experience as Hughton at the time. Are you having a pop at him for a job he was never given a chance to do? :blush:

Not really having a pop at Shearer, just commenting on the fact that Hughton still doesnt carry much weight with some fans, wher as Shearer would probably being immortalised for achieving the same result. We would also not be saying he would be out on his arse by Christmas.

Surely you can see the mis match.

Not really having a pop at Shearer, just commenting on the fact that Hughton still doesnt carry much weight with some fans, wher as Shearer would probably being immortalised for achieving the same result. We would also not be saying he would be out on his arse by Christmas.

Aye, but that's common sense given their relative statures at the club and with some fans. You're needlessly stating the obvious.

You also have nothing to base the fact that Shearer would have been worse on. I'd say our results this season show how big the gap between us and the premiership is, not that Hughton is now somehow a good manager. We'll see soon enough.

£12 million for Rodwell ffs.

It might not have even been this thread but it bears repeating.

Like i said it probably is unrealistic but it would be nice if we showedthat level of ambition to go and get a young english prospect who cuts it in the PL and would replace Smith.

I know its not going to happen but we can all dream :lol::blush:

Aye, but that's common sense given their relative statures at the club and with some fans. You're needlessly stating the obvious.

You also have nothing to base the fact that Shearer would have been worse on. I'd say our results this season show how big the gap between us and the premiership is, not that Hughton is now somehow a good manager. We'll see soon enough.

But its not common sense, thats the point. If Shearer had done the same Job that Hughton has done, you would not be writing that he will be out on his arse by Christmas.

With regard to your other comments, I think Shearer is too aloof in a Roy Keane way.

And as for the gap theory, it aint working for Boro.

Im not saying Hughtons the next Wenger, but I will back him until its proved he is not capable.

Shearer would have been a much bigger draw to potential new players whereas its more likely to be Chris Who?

Saying that, what am I thinking? new players? needing a big name manager to attract the cream of European talent???? :lol:

I dont think Hughton can handle the pressure of the Prem, who knows if Shearer could have done but my guess is with his background then he'd have a much better chance.

But its not common sense, thats the point. If Shearer had done the same Job that Hughton has done, you would not be writing that he will be out on his arse by Christmas.

With regard to your other comments, I think Shearer is too aloof in a Roy Keane way.

Im not saying Hughtons the next Wenger, but I will back him until its proved he is not capable.

I don't think a young Wenger or Ferguson could be successful under Ashley, Shearer's well out of it imo.

Are you seriously saying Boro's mediocre form is proof that the gap between the leagues isn't as gaping as a Rocco Silfredi victim?

Shearer I think would have done a similar job but has the advantage of being a globally famous personality and has links to the club. He had coaching experience and as much managerial experience as Hughton at the time. Are you having a pop at him for a job he was never given a chance to do? :jonas:

I don't think a young Wenger or Ferguson could be successful under Ashley, Shearer's well out of it imo.

Are you seriously saying Boro's mediocre form is proof that the gap between the leagues isn't as gaping as a Rocco Silfredi victim?

No, just saying you cant have it always :blush:

I am referring more to the various discussions etc on here and elsewhere during the summer.

I have no doubt that if Ashley had appointed Shearer and we had achieved the same as now, Shearer would be being touted as the next big thing, next england manager etc.

For the record I dont think Shearer would have done as well as Hughton has.

There wasn't a clamour on here. It's more straw man stuff imo. Agree about Shearer if he had stayed etc. That's the media though, they'd have been making him out to be something he wasn't (yet at least). A bit like the nonexistent clamour. I think most people would have at least thought with Shearer though that he'd be highly demanding in terms of having autonomy including the ability to bring in quality players and ship out those he didn't want etc. In Hughton we have the opposite, i.e. a puppet who'll keep his head down, do his job but isn't go to kick up much of a fuss if things go wrong and certainly won't challenge the authority of his employers. I'm not having a dig at Hughton there because he's done a great job under difficult circumstances but, at the same time, you can't judge Shearer on those terms because he wouldn't have worked under them. As it happens, I'm prepared to give Hughton a chance, but I don't really think his boss is.

What's funnier is.... he's made any number of optimistic predictions, none of which have come to fruition, yet he's always ready to play the role of being wise after the event.

Oh Dear.... (to coin a phrase) :blush:

True though :lol:

Oh Dear.... (to coin a phrase) :jonas:

True though :blush:

Being an optimist I can live with making optimistic predictions in the same way that you have to live with your legendary, arse-splintering, fence sitting remarks. :jonas:

Im also sure you wouldnt let me get away with being wise after the event :lol: