Mike Ashley plans to remain Newcastle owner for at least two more years

Tom

Some absolute bollocks in this thread like. Have people somehow forgotten that next season we will be in the Premiership with Chris Hughton as our manager? :lol::jonas:

I think he'll do well and is growing in the job.

Whats funnier was the clamour for Shearer with no coaching experience and no management experience. Scoring a hat-ful of goals doesn't make you a good manager.

Can't fault him this season and he deserves some credit, a lot of credit in fact. He will be out on his arse before Christmas next season imo. Then I dread to think who the fat cunt will employ since this is the man who thought JFK was up to the job.

Shearer I think would have done a similar job but has the advantage of being a globally famous personality and has links to the club. He had coaching experience and as much managerial experience as Hughton at the time. Are you having a pop at him for a job he was never given a chance to do? :blush:

Not really having a pop at Shearer, just commenting on the fact that Hughton still doesnt carry much weight with some fans, wher as Shearer would probably being immortalised for achieving the same result. We would also not be saying he would be out on his arse by Christmas.

Surely you can see the mis match.

Aye, but that's common sense given their relative statures at the club and with some fans. You're needlessly stating the obvious.

You also have nothing to base the fact that Shearer would have been worse on. I'd say our results this season show how big the gap between us and the premiership is, not that Hughton is now somehow a good manager. We'll see soon enough.

But its not common sense, thats the point. If Shearer had done the same Job that Hughton has done, you would not be writing that he will be out on his arse by Christmas.

With regard to your other comments, I think Shearer is too aloof in a Roy Keane way.

And as for the gap theory, it aint working for Boro.

Im not saying Hughtons the next Wenger, but I will back him until its proved he is not capable.

I don't think a young Wenger or Ferguson could be successful under Ashley , Shearer's well out of it imo.

Are you seriously saying Boro's mediocre form is proof that the gap between the leagues isn't as gaping as a Rocco Silfredi victim?

my point, that I have always made about the ex regime, in a nutshell. You get a good manager, if the board don't back him, he is off. At least when you have a board that has ambition, you will get success with a manager who has ability.

And a lot of Debt backing managers with little ability

aye, its a shame everybody doesn't have an Arsene Wenger or an Alex Ferguson., those pesky other clubs who are all looking for the same getting in the way. On reflection though, qualifying for europe more than any club bar 4 over 15 years suggests something........

Wouldn't you agree ?

CT bangs on about not living in the past but the future with our current team, owner and manager is actually what concerns most fans with a bit of nouse.

Most fans are just enjoying the season :lol:

Some on here, who think they have a bit of nouse, just constantly doom monger and put Newcastle down.

They were moaning pre season about us doing a Leeds and now that they havent got that to moan about they are moaning about next fucking season!

I am sure come Next season they will quickly find something else to moan about if we start off ok.

I'm enjoying this season but under no illusion what next season will bring. I'm still renewing like.

Your optimism in Hughton and his ability to find worldclass youngsters and pay them a relative pittance is not grounded in reality imo.

bingo.

More idealistic nonsense on here. This time football related.

Some absolute bollocks in this thread like. Have people somehow forgotten that next season we will be in the Premiership with Chris Hughton as our manager? :lol::jonas:

Whats funnier was the clamour for Shearer with no coaching experience and no management experience. Scoring a hat-ful of goals doesn't make you a good manager.

Can't fault him this season and he deserves some credit, a lot of credit in fact. He will be out on his arse before Christmas next season imo. Then I dread to think who the fat cunt will employ since this is the man who thought JFK was up to the job.

Shearer I think would have done a similar job but has the advantage of being a globally famous personality and has links to the club. He had coaching experience and as much managerial experience as Hughton at the time. Are you having a pop at him for a job he was never given a chance to do? :blush:

Not really having a pop at Shearer, just commenting on the fact that Hughton still doesnt carry much weight with some fans, wher as Shearer would probably being immortalised for achieving the same result. We would also not be saying he would be out on his arse by Christmas.

Aye, but that's common sense given their relative statures at the club and with some fans. You're needlessly stating the obvious.

You also have nothing to base the fact that Shearer would have been worse on. I'd say our results this season show how big the gap between us and the premiership is, not that Hughton is now somehow a good manager. We'll see soon enough.

But its not common sense, thats the point. If Shearer had done the same Job that Hughton has done, you would not be writing that he will be out on his arse by Christmas.

With regard to your other comments, I think Shearer is too aloof in a Roy Keane way.

Im not saying Hughtons the next Wenger, but I will back him until its proved he is not capable.

I don't think a young Wenger or Ferguson could be successful under Ashley , Shearer's well out of it imo.

Are you seriously saying Boro's mediocre form is proof that the gap between the leagues isn't as gaping as a Rocco Silfredi victim?

my point, that I have always made about the ex regime, in a nutshell. You get a good manager, if the board don't back him, he is off. At least when you have a board that has ambition, you will get success with a manager who has ability.

aye, its a shame everybody doesn't have an Arsene Wenger or an Alex Ferguson., those pesky other clubs who are all looking for the same getting in the way. On reflection though, qualifying for europe more than any club bar 4 over 15 years suggests something........

Wouldn't you agree ?

Leazes, nobody disagrees we had some good times under Freddy, but those times had long since started to decline under Freddy, long before Ashley arrived.

Can you at least see that?

Wouldn't you agree ?

Leazes, nobody disagrees we had some good times under Freddy, but those times had long since started to decline under Freddy, long before Ashley arrived.

We would not have been relegated if the Halls and Shepherd had stayed in control of the football club.

We will also never hit the heights that they reached under Ashley.

Can you not see that ?

We would not have been relegated if the Halls and Shepherd had stayed in control of the football club.

In 98 we were one victory against a Chelsea team playing in plimmas because of a cup final away from going down.

I think it was 3 or 4 points in the end but without that victory we would have gone into the last day with at least the possibility of going down.

This was due to the Ferdinand sale combined with the Shearer injury - the former being Ashley-esque in its stupidity.

Wouldn't you agree ?

We will also never hit the heights that they reached under Ashley.

Can you not see that ?

Show me yours and I'll show you mine :jonas:

In 98 we were one victory against a Chelsea team playing in plimmas because of a cup final away from going down.

I think it was 3 or 4 points in the end but without that victory we would have gone into the last day with at least the possibility of going down.

This was due to the Ferdinand sale combined with the Shearer injury - the former being Ashley-esque in its stupidity.

As if anything the Halls and Shepherd did that dragged the club down to the depths Ashley has.

This sort of comment, is normally made by lunatics who say Keegan "failed" because he lost a 12 point lead and "won nothing yet spent a load of money". Every other manager puts a team 12 points clear in the premiership.....

If only we were also still in the premiership, reached the FA Cup Final and bought players such as Les Ferdinand in the first place.......never mind, we have Ameobi and have splashed out on the mighty Leon Best.

Wasnt that because we were a Plc though and the "shareholders" demanded the sale before the end of the financial year?

At the same time, it was Hall and Co who ultimately put us in that position so swings n roundabouts like.

Either way though, yes Shepherd was in charge at times when we nearly went down but the magic word is nearly, Ashley managed it fairly damn quickly :lol:

Wasnt that because we were a Plc though and the "shareholders" demanded the sale before the end of the financial year?

At the same time, it was Hall and Co who ultimately put us in that position so swings n roundabouts like.

Either way though, yes Shepherd was in charge at times when we nearly went down but the magic word is nearly, Ashley managed it fairly damn quickly :lol:

yes, it was to raise the flotation price, or related to it at the time. Significantly, KK was told to sell a player for 6m quid for precisely this reason, Everton wanted Ferdinand and he told Douglas Hall that Ferdinand wasn't for sale. Hall said to Keegan that if that is what he wanted, then Ferdinand would not be sold. This is in Keegans book.

Who was one of the first players sold by Dalglish that summer ? Yes, Les Ferdinand. I have always wondered if he was happy to sell him for the fee at the time, making it a managers decision. He had - at the time - Shearer, Asprilla and was about to buy or had already bought Tomasson.

I don't suppose this will make any difference to those who want to bash Shepherd though for anything they can think of.

yes, it was to raise the flotation price, or related to it at the time. Significantly, KK was told to sell a player for 6m quid for precisely this reason, Everton wanted Ferdinand and he told Douglas Hall that Ferdinand wasn't for sale. Hall said to Keegan that if that is what he wanted, then Ferdinand would not be sold. This is in Keegans book.

Who was one of the first players sold by Dalglish that summer ? Yes, Les Ferdinand. I have always wondered if he was happy to sell him for the fee at the time, making it a managers decision. He had - at the time - Shearer, Asprilla and was about to buy or had already bought Tomasson.

I don't suppose this will make any difference to those who want to bash Shepherd though for anything they can think of.

I don't get your point - Shepherd and Hall were on the board of the plc and were the majority shareholders - you make it sound like the sale was imposed on them.

I've never denied we had good times under them - I'm just pointing out that it isn't as black and white as you imply - there were shit seasons, shit decisions and many examples of fans being screwed. If you ask me whether that was a price worth paying for the good stuff I'd say unequivocally yes but that does not mean I'm going to forget the shite or wear the rose-tinted glasses you love.

I don't get your point - Shepherd and Hall were on the board of the plc and were the majority shareholders - you make it sound like the sale was imposed on them.

I've never denied we had good times under them - I'm just pointing out that it isn't as black and white as you imply - there were shit seasons, shit decisions and many examples of fans being screwed. If you ask me whether that was a price worth paying for the good stuff I'd say unequivocally yes but that does not mean I'm going to forget the shite or wear the rose-tinted glasses you love.

my point is as always - and for a bloke with some intelligence and I mean that I'm not taking the piss like I do with some - your last sentence does you no credit whatsoever, you can't argue with qualifying for europe more than anybody bar 4 teams over a period of 15 years, especially when they found them not worth 1.25m quid in a share flotation, and on the brink of relegation to the 3rd division.

The only rose tinted glasses I wear, if I were to wear any, would be to recognise the only good owners, in fact the best owners by far of NUFC for at least 50 years, were the Halls and Shepherd, and not be daft enough to dispute it by picking up on the few things they did not do so well

The sooner you can understand that the better, but sadly I think it is completely beneath you now, and others too to comprehend. The last few years of Ashley should have did it, but if you still don't realise we had a good owner/board then you never will, unless you are sitting here in 20 years time and their period is still the best in your lifetime.

Then, you will realise I was right.

Edited by LeazesMag

It shouldn't be understated the value added and the work done by the Hall's and Shepherd's in developing our youth sides and training facilities. I shudder to think of the the great many injuries that we could have incurred if it weren't for our fantastic training ground and facilities. In addition when I look through our first team squad and see all the exceptional local talent I'm loathe to think of what it could have been like if we didn't have such a conveyor belt of talent coming through from our youth ranks thanks to the excellent vision and foresight of the Hall's and Shepherd's.

It shouldn't be understated the value added and the work done by the Hall's and Shepherd's in developing our youth sides and training facilities. I shudder to think of the the great many injuries that we could have incurred if it weren't for our fantastic training ground and facilities. In addition when I look through our first team squad and see all the exceptional local talent I'm loathe to think of what it could have been like if we didn't have such a conveyor belt of talent coming through from our youth ranks thanks to the excellent vision and foresight of the Hall's and Shepherd's.

:blush: Good lad! :lol:

The only rose tinted glasses I wear, if I were to wear any, would be to recognise the only good owners, in fact the best owners by far of NUFC for at least 50 years, were the Halls and Shepherd, and not be daft enough to dispute it by picking up on the few things they did not do so well

The sooner you can understand that the better, but sadly I think it is completely beneath you now, and others too to comprehend. The last few years of Ashley should have did it, but if you still don't realise we had a good owner/board then you never will, unless you are sitting here in 20 years time and their period is still the best in your lifetime.

Then, you will realise I was right.

Again being the best out of an atrocious bunch does not make them immune from criticism.

I'm not going to praise them for never coming close to relegation when we did. I'm not going to praise them for never selling players to meet financial demands when they did. They did screw fans and their overall motivation was making money not bringing success on the pitch.

As I keep saying holding them up as some kind of club owning Gods is a joke.

The serious question which you keep avoiding is if they hadn't sold up how on earth do you think Shepherd would have been able to continue? what would he have done when the crunch hit and his usual methods no longer worked? This isn't about what Ashley has done since but what would have happened if he hadn't bothered.

This is the trouble with these threads and maybe its us as people, our comprehension of good and bad chairmen, owners and directors is based on what we remember personally. Like Leazes I remember the really bad days, back when we were 2nd division, a crumbling stadium and owners who really really didnt give a shit as long as they got to take their pound of flesh out of this club. My recollection is hazier than LMs though because Im younger :lol:

Reading the history books will tell you who owned us, who scored what goal in whichever glorious 2nd division game. It wont however invoke the feeling of desperation and belief that "this is it", this is our lot, destined to be 2nd division nothings, push for promotion and lose out or maybe get it but have a shit season (or 2 if we're lucky) in the top flight before bombing back down.

If you remember those days then you'll see Shepherd and Hall in a better light.

Those on here however that are under the age of about 25 will not have any real memory of that (its not your fault its just how it is), all you know is Shepherd/Hall and then Ashley. Even if you're 20 now though, the real good stuff will have passed you before you could appreciate it. The euphoric promotion season, the charge on the Premiership, the resulting games among Europes (and arguably the Worlds) greatest teams plus two FA Cup finals are all now distant memories. For those of you born 1990 onwards you were 10 when it was all over, you missed it. What you got was the constant drip of mediocre managers and the ill treatment (not just by the board but by some fans also) of what could have been our greatest ever manager. What you saw was us dropping down the table and losing ground all the time.

None of that however should take the focus away from what Ashley has done to our club, we cant permanently go on measuring things he does against some bits of what Shepherd did, we cant selectively look at the two regimes and say "well ok you give me Champions League football but I give you an allegedly tidy balance sheet" Its not Top Trumps, not a game of "who did what for/to NUFC". This is the here and now, this is the present and what we have is an owner who by his own admission has cocked up, we have a chairman who has not the slightest clue on football or any care about the club hes in charge of. Yes he wants to see us win but he doesnt give a shit for any other reason than its better for the sales and the profit margin.

To contrast that against the previous regime and argue that the purchase of players back then was the wrong thing to do then you obviously werent old enough to remember the times, it was that very same purchase of big name, expensive players that got us those good times and made this club into one of the 20 richest in the world. Without those purchases we wouldnt have had Shearer, no Local Hero, no testimonial, Englands number 1 would have always been someone elses not ours. It wouldnt really have mattered though because we wouldnt have had half the team to go with him, no Ginola, no Ferdinand, no Asprilla, none of those names that we recount when giving those glowing testimonials of amazing games past.

This isnt a Shepherd arse lick post, at the end I was as sick of him as the rest of you, I cant stand here and say (as Leazes rightly can...and does regularly :blush:) "I told you so" because he did and I told him to fuck off, that "anything has to be better than what we have". I was wrong, anything is clearly not better than the past as has being proven time and time again throughout the last couple of years.

Its time to stop comparing Shepherd to Ashley in the financial world because frankly we havent seen just how badly this club is in the shit and I suspect we never will do until its too late. Its amazing though that some people can even contemplate arguing about how we're financially secure under Ashley when the club themselves regularly put out "oh fuck we're dying on our arses financially" statements.

Compare the two where it matters however, out there on the pitch and the past regime become absolute fucking saints compared to this lot and that is where it matters as far as Im concerned.

It's not a case of comparing regimes pud, it's a case of some of us would just like leazes to acknowledge that it had already turned to slime under shepherd.

Leazes's view is almost that we were competing in the champions league until Ashley took over.

We all know the football was better under keegan and sir bobby and we all know that things have got worse during ashleys tenure.

It would just be nice for leazes once to acknowledge how things actually were so this tedious argument could be put to bed and not dragged up every week.

Compare the two where it matters however, out there on the pitch and the past regime become absolute fucking saints compared to this lot and that is where it matters as far as Im concerned.

Great post. Frankly I couldn't give a toss about whether the Halls and Shepherds were good/bad (they were certainly ugly), it's ancient history now. It's here and now that matters and God knows where we're going under the present lot, but I'm not picking we're bound for glory.

:lol:

Aye, everyone else is obsessed with Shepherd.

YOU want to heap praise on them at any and every opportunity, whether it's to compare Ashley with them or Benjamin Netanyahu.

You're like a 50 year old that hates his wife and won't stop furiously masturbating over some 18 year old that once gave you a nosh. Face it man, she was a slag too.

Forget about it. It's history. Slate Ashley on his own terms.

Edited by Happy Face

CT bangs on about not living in the past but the future with our current team, owner and manager is actually what concerns most fans with a bit of nouse.

Most fans are just enjoying the season :blush:

Some on here, who think they have a bit of nouse, just constantly doom monger and put Newcastle down.

They were moaning pre season about us doing a Leeds and now that they havent got that to moan about they are moaning about next fucking season!

I am sure come Next season they will quickly find something else to moan about if we start off ok.

I'm enjoying this season but under no illusion what next season will bring. I'm still renewing like.

Your optimism in Hughton and his ability to find worldclass youngsters and pay them a relative pittance is not grounded in reality imo.

bingo.

Can you explain how my post is 'idealistic nonsense'? FFS. :lol:

bingo.

i think he's agreeing with you to be fair

bingo.

i think he's agreeing with you to be fair

Impossible. :jonas: I assumed he just hadn't read my post, as usual.

:lol:

Aye, everyone else is obsessed with Shepherd.

YOU want to heap praise on them at any and every opportunity, whether it's to compare Ashley with them or Benjamin Netanyahu.

You're like a 50 year old that hates his wife and won't stop furiously masturbating over some 18 year old that once gave you a nosh. Face it man, she was a slag too.

Forget about it. It's history. Slate Ashley on his own terms.

:blush:

Even in GC this topic comes up time and time again, and I think we all know why. I'd like to see a permanent thread for this cut and paste shite and the mods ban anyone from bringing it up outside that thread.