Mike Ashley plans to remain Newcastle owner for at least two more years

Tom

It shouldn't be understated the value added and the work done by the Hall's and Shepherd's in developing our youth sides and training facilities. I shudder to think of the the great many injuries that we could have incurred if it weren't for our fantastic training ground and facilities. In addition when I look through our first team squad and see all the exceptional local talent I'm loathe to think of what it could have been like if we didn't have such a conveyor belt of talent coming through from our youth ranks thanks to the excellent vision and foresight of the Hall's and Shepherd's.

Sarcasm aside, at least they knew the first XI was the most important thing.

Sarcasm aside, at least they knew the first XI was the most important thing.

It's true, we're not going to see any real glamour in our side for some time to come unless by some stroke of luck some of the young players develop into stars. That's one of the side affects of at least trying to be fiscally responsible, which is much easier to do when you've got no real attachment to the side and when the fans will seemingly turn up regardless of how poorly the team is performing.

That's not quite true like. Do you think we'd be getting nearly 50k for every league game if we were mid-table or worse this year?

That's not quite true like. Do you think we'd be getting nearly 50k for every league game if we were mid-table or worse this year?

Not in the Championship but last season in the Premier League the performances were woeful and the attendances barely noticed.

This season coming will be a telling one to that effect. I hope the ST numbers dwindle and Ashley is forced to play his hand and buy an exciting player of note before the season kicks off to add some buzz and excitement. In the past they'd probably have tried to do it by leaking all sorts of ridiculous rumours to the press and getting the likes of Joe Kinnear to sprout some rubbish. With Hughton though I think he'll always be honest, so their latest turn has been to play the we're doing it tough card to gain sympathy and an understanding that there's not going ot be any big signings.

I'd like to see what some people would like Ashley to do.

I'd assume the answer will be to spend 30 or so million to turn the squad around, but if that ultimately means we finish in 10th instead of 15th financially we'll effectively be in a worse position having spent the money and that's not sustainable.

I think this is more than a problem just for Newcastle BTW it's something that the League itself needs to look at.

Not sure on the exact figures but wasn't there something like 38-40k of people on match day who were ST holders who bought them before all the bother? So that would account for the attendance at league games as much as anything.

As for Ashley, I'd like him to be honest. If he'd been honest from the start he wouldn't have been in this mess and we'd still be a PL side. He could have managed expectations so differently but he made it worse for himself by saying money was available for players Keegan wanted when this wasn't the case. Basically he chased the short-term buck in terms of getting money off fans (probably hoping for a quick sale so it wouldn't be his problem any more). I think his duplicity has, in essence, been his biggest problem. It makes it very difficult for the fans to trust him and it makes it equally difficult to attract the right sort of coaching and playing personnel to want to come to the club. He may well be telling the truth at times now via his ridiculous mouthpiece (another reason we lack credibilty) but it would be naive to take anything he ever says again at face value.

Not sure on the exact figures but wasn't there something like 38-40k of people on match day who were ST holders who bought them before all the bother? So that would account for the attendance at league games as much as anything.

For what it's worth, when Llambias was doing the rounds last week he said there are 28,000 season ticket holders at the moment.

For what it's worth, when Llambias was doing the rounds last week he said there are 28,000 season ticket holders at the moment.

I meant last season btw, just to clarify :lol:

CT bangs on about not living in the past but the future with our current team, owner and manager is actually what concerns most fans with a bit of nouse.

Most fans are just enjoying the season ;)

Some on here, who think they have a bit of nouse, just constantly doom monger and put Newcastle down.

They were moaning pre season about us doing a Leeds and now that they havent got that to moan about they are moaning about next fucking season!

I am sure come Next season they will quickly find something else to moan about if we start off ok.

I'm enjoying this season but under no illusion what next season will bring. I'm still renewing like.

Your optimism in Hughton and his ability to find worldclass youngsters and pay them a relative pittance is not grounded in reality imo.

bingo.

More idealistic nonsense on here. This time football related.

Can you explain how my post is 'idealistic nonsense'? FFS. ;)

i think he's agreeing with you to be fair

i was. Shocking ;)

This is the trouble with these threads and maybe its us as people, our comprehension of good and bad chairmen, owners and directors is based on what we remember personally. Like Leazes I remember the really bad days, back when we were 2nd division, a crumbling stadium and owners who really really didnt give a shit as long as they got to take their pound of flesh out of this club. My recollection is hazier than LMs though because Im younger ;)

Reading the history books will tell you who owned us, who scored what goal in whichever glorious 2nd division game. It wont however invoke the feeling of desperation and belief that "this is it", this is our lot, destined to be 2nd division nothings, push for promotion and lose out or maybe get it but have a shit season (or 2 if we're lucky) in the top flight before bombing back down.

If you remember those days then you'll see Shepherd and Hall in a better light.

Those on here however that are under the age of about 25 will not have any real memory of that (its not your fault its just how it is), all you know is Shepherd/Hall and then Ashley. Even if you're 20 now though, the real good stuff will have passed you before you could appreciate it. The euphoric promotion season, the charge on the Premiership, the resulting games among Europes (and arguably the Worlds) greatest teams plus two FA Cup finals are all now distant memories. For those of you born 1990 onwards you were 10 when it was all over, you missed it. What you got was the constant drip of mediocre managers and the ill treatment (not just by the board but by some fans also) of what could have been our greatest ever manager. What you saw was us dropping down the table and losing ground all the time.

None of that however should take the focus away from what Ashley has done to our club, we cant permanently go on measuring things he does against some bits of what Shepherd did, we cant selectively look at the two regimes and say "well ok you give me Champions League football but I give you an allegedly tidy balance sheet" Its not Top Trumps, not a game of "who did what for/to NUFC". This is the here and now, this is the present and what we have is an owner who by his own admission has cocked up, we have a chairman who has not the slightest clue on football or any care about the club hes in charge of. Yes he wants to see us win but he doesnt give a shit for any other reason than its better for the sales and the profit margin.

To contrast that against the previous regime and argue that the purchase of players back then was the wrong thing to do then you obviously werent old enough to remember the times, it was that very same purchase of big name, expensive players that got us those good times and made this club into one of the 20 richest in the world. Without those purchases we wouldnt have had Shearer, no Local Hero, no testimonial, Englands number 1 would have always been someone elses not ours. It wouldnt really have mattered though because we wouldnt have had half the team to go with him, no Ginola, no Ferdinand, no Asprilla, none of those names that we recount when giving those glowing testimonials of amazing games past.

This isnt a Shepherd arse lick post, at the end I was as sick of him as the rest of you, I cant stand here and say (as Leazes rightly can...and does regularly ;)) "I told you so" because he did and I told him to fuck off, that "anything has to be better than what we have". I was wrong, anything is clearly not better than the past as has being proven time and time again throughout the last couple of years.

Its time to stop comparing Shepherd to Ashley in the financial world because frankly we havent seen just how badly this club is in the shit and I suspect we never will do until its too late. Its amazing though that some people can even contemplate arguing about how we're financially secure under Ashley when the club themselves regularly put out "oh fuck we're dying on our arses financially" statements.

Compare the two where it matters however, out there on the pitch and the past regime become absolute fucking saints compared to this lot and that is where it matters as far as Im concerned.

round of applause.

As one or two people are starting to give me a bit of flak for bringing the halls and Shepherd in like I did on NO [but this board has more intelligent and mature posters, generally] which is disappointing, I will point out that there is nothing I would like more than someone running the club that did better than the Halls and Shepherd.

Most of what PP says is quite simply undeniable fact, including the bits where he says the younger ones probably just cannot comprehend it all. Not their fault, just the way it goes. They should just listen thats all. I listen to people who tell me what the 50's was like, and that Len White should have played for England, I just wish the club had experienced the same during my own 40+ years so far supporting the club instead of the utter dross we got from those who ran the club so badly pre-1992.

I will point out that there is nothing I would like more than someone running the club that did better than the Halls and Shepherd.

That's a very fair point which I accept - it's just that sometimes you seem to be saying they were so good there could just never be anyone better - which is why I sometimes feel the need to point out there were bad bits in a generally beneficial period.

just because fat fred was better than the crap that preceded and followed him doesn't make him a good chairman. a million times better than what we have now, i agree but we were all right to criticise him at the time as he had some real shockers. i'm not convinced we wouldn't have gone down under shepherd's stewardship but we'll never know now

As for Ashley, I'd like him to be honest. If he'd been honest from the start he wouldn't have been in this mess and we'd still be a PL side. He could have managed expectations so differently but he made it worse for himself by saying money was available for players Keegan wanted when this wasn't the case. Basically he chased the short-term buck in terms of getting money off fans (probably hoping for a quick sale so it wouldn't be his problem any more). I think his duplicity has, in essence, been his biggest problem. It makes it very difficult for the fans to trust him and it makes it equally difficult to attract the right sort of coaching and playing personnel to want to come to the club. He may well be telling the truth at times now via his ridiculous mouthpiece (another reason we lack credibilty) but it would be naive to take anything he ever says again at face value.

Thats the best bit I think you've ever written ;)

I would love to see him have the balls to come out and do a proper interview and be honest about now and the future.

With regard to season tickets, I was lucky enough to be able to cancel the three year deal, but a bit of honest ambition during the summer would get me back.

I don't suppose this will make any difference to those who want to bash Shepherd though for anything they can think of.

;)

Aye, everyone else is obsessed with Shepherd.

YOU want to heap praise on them at any and every opportunity, whether it's to compare Ashley with them or Benjamin Netanyahu.

You're like a 50 year old that hates his wife and won't stop furiously masturbating over some 18 year old that once gave you a nosh. Face it man, she was a slag too.

Forget about it. It's history. Slate Ashley on his own terms.

;)

Even in GC this topic comes up time and time again, and I think we all know why. I'd like to see a permanent thread for this cut and paste shite and the mods ban anyone from bringing it up outside that thread.

NO standard post.

I will point out that there is nothing I would like more than someone running the club that did better than the Halls and Shepherd.

That's a very fair point which I accept - it's just that sometimes you seem to be saying they were so good there could just never be anyone better - which is why I sometimes feel the need to point out there were bad bits in a generally beneficial period.

I don't know how many times this has to be spelled out. Find a post from me that says there could never be anybody better and they never made mistakes ?

Look - only 4 clubs qualified for europe more than we did during their 15 years running the club, the same 4 clubs are the only clubs that had a higher average league position too

You think that is shit ? I think not, I think it means they were pretty good, you would kill for it now, and all the clubs that didn't match us would have done the same.

Edited by LeazesMag

• 8 years later...