Creating a virtual COM port?

ewerk

Anyone know if this is possible?

Basically I need to output to a device via USB but the software I'm using will only connect to the hardware via COM port. The output device does have a COM input but this seems to have become fucked.

I've done a search on this but really can't make head nor tail of it. Any advice appreciated.

Not really sure what you're going after here, but I have a bunch of old shit here at the plant that only likes to use COM ports and I've used a USB to COM port device (similar to this) in the past with some success-

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2273291

Bit of a pain in the ass to configure (depending on how Windows detects it, included software, etc.), but with some futzing about, I've gotten it to talk to barcode scanners, wedges, old school label printers- all kinds of stuff.

Would something like that do you any good?

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Basically, I've got a vinyl plotter that can connect to the computer via either USB or the COM port. Up until last week it was connecting through the COM port no problem when it just stopped working.

I've tried changing the cable and adding a new COM port on the computer but to no avail, I reckon it must be a problem with the plotter's COM connection.

The problem with the USB is that the software I use to output won't do so via USB, it will only detect plotters connected via COM port.

So what I was hoping to do was create a virtual COM port to work via the USB so the software would detect the plotter. I've no idea whether this is actually possible.

Cid, the opposite of the adapter you posted may help, again, I'm not sure if such a thing exists.

Basically, I've got a vinyl plotter that can connect to the computer via either USB or the COM port. Up until last week it was connecting through the COM port no problem when it just stopped working.

I've tried changing the cable and adding a new COM port on the computer but to no avail, I reckon it must be a problem with the plotter's COM connection.

The problem with the USB is that the software I use to output won't do so via USB, it will only detect plotters connected via COM port.

So what I was hoping to do was create a virtual COM port to work via the USB so the software would detect the plotter. I've no idea whether this is actually possible.

Cid, the opposite of the adapter you posted may help, again, I'm not sure if such a thing exists.

Yeah, man, I don't know- I've never run across a device that takes a USB into a COM. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never run across one.

Hopefully the link Laz provided has fixed you up, but if not...

1) Any way you could save the files and import them into a different computer with a newer/ different version of the software? One that would talk to USB plotters?

2) I don't know a lot about plotters, but I worked on a few inkjet ones back in the day- most of the time the ports were on their own little boards connected back to the mainboard via a ribbon cable. Any chance you could replace it? Could just be the board itself has gone bad. If you know somebody with a similar plotter, you might be able to talk them into letting you crack the case open and removing the COM port card (assuming it's just a ribbon cable connection and a screw or two to secure it to the case) to try in yours to see if that's the problem. Or just call a repairman for the plotter.

3) Get in touch with the software vendor (through a messageboard or email or whatever) and see if they have some kind of workaround/ update for pushing the job through a USB instead of a COM. Assuming it wasn't a "value added feature" in the newer version of whatever software you're using, they might hook you up. I'm no programmer, but from the little bit I know about COM ports and USB, they're fairly similar- just less customization (read: options) in the USB end of things. I wouldn't think it'd be that difficult for a programmer to write a patch that'd allow you to use the USB instead of COM only.

Good luck!