Mark Reynolds

Barney

Magpies keeping tabs on Reynolds

Mar 11 2010

by Steve Brown, The Journal

NEWCASTLE are monitoring Motherwell centre-back Mark Reynolds, The Journal understands.

United boss Chris Hughton was at the SPL outfit’s goalless draw at St Mirren on Tuesday night, when reports claimed his watching brief was on keeper John Ruddy, on loan at Fir Park from Everton.

However, with Steve Harper, Tim Krul, Fraser Forster and Ole Soderberg, the Magpies are well-stocked in that area, and it is believed Hughton was instead running the rule over 22-year-old Reynolds.

The Scottish Under-21 international’s presence in the Motherwell side has seen it concede just two goals in 11 league games and, with manager Craig Brown acknowledging interest from elsewhere, Reynolds has already been linked with Fulham, Blackburn Rovers and PSV Eindhoven.

Now it seems Newcastle – who are also understood to be tracking Livingston midfielder Andy Halliday – have joined the list of admirers of a player under contract until May 2011 and subject of a £750,000 bid from Rangers during the summer of 2008.

Motherwell rejected that offer out of hand, but Brown accepts Reynolds’ departure now appears simply a matter of time. “I don’t know about the Dutch but I know of interest from England because I’ve spoken to one or two managers who have asked me about him,” said Brown.

“I can only give him the highest possible praise – he is outstanding. He deserves a successful career at the top level.

“To go to England, the finance is totally different and it would be a good move for him.

“Not a good move for us but it would be a good move for Mark Reynolds and it would be churlish of us not to give him that opportunity if it comes.” United have also been credited with an interest in Jamie O’Hara, the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder on loan at Portsmouth.

But while the St James’ Park club continue to scour the cut-price end of the transfer market in preparation for next season, 18-year-old Academy product Brad Inman is hoping his form for Alan Thompson’s reserve team – rewarded at this week’s annual Sport Newcastle awards ceremony with the ‘Wor Jackie’ trophy for the second string’s most promising youngster – could yet earn him promotion to the first-team set-up and save United some cash.

“We’ve got a good group of lads, all the second year are pushing through and most played on Tuesday night for the reserves, so that was good to see,” Inman said, after the reserves were knocked out of the Tynetec Northumberland Senior Cup semi-finals by Northern League outfit Whitley Bay.

“We’ve also got a couple of good youngsters at under-16 level, first years, coming through. So hopefully in the next couple of years you might see some breaking through to the first team.

“Thommo (Thompson) just says that in every reserve game, you don’t know who’s watching. If Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood are watching and if you play well, there’s a platform and structure for us to progress, and train with the first team.

“He (Hughton) is normally focusing on the first team, they’ve obviously got a lot more to concentrate on in trying to get promoted. But him and Colin do tend to come down and take a session with us, and that’s good contact with them.

“It’s always good to get a training session off the first-team manager, just to see what that’s like.

“Hopefully I can just get my head down and work hard, make a permanent spot in the reserve team, then hopefully try and push on to be on the (first-team) bench more. I’ve just got to work hard to the end of the season and see what happens from there.”

Of his award, Inman added: “It was a good night and great honour to win the ‘Wor Jackie’ trophy. Peter Beardsley, Kenny Wharton, Alan Shearer and Steven Taylor were there, and listening to their stories from when they played back in their days is something you live for.”

“We’ve got a good group of lads, all the second year are pushing through and most played on Tuesday night for the reserves, so that was good to see,” Inman said, after the reserves were knocked out of the Tynetec Northumberland Senior Cup semi-finals by Northern League outfit Whitley Bay.

“We’ve also got a couple of good youngsters at under-16 level, first years, coming through. So hopefully in the next couple of years you might see some breaking through to the first team.

On this point, there was a bit on .com about the awards and youngsters :

Local gongs handed out:

Streete naming ceremony!

Monday evening saw the annual Sport Newcastle awards staged at the Civic Centre, with Alan Shearer among those handing out trophies.

Injured Magpies defender Steven Taylor walked away with the Newcastle Sports Personality of the Year title, while midfielder Brad Inman picked up the Wor Jackie Award for the brightest prospect from the Academy.

A new award was also presented for the first time, commemorating the renowned local football talent scout Jack Hixon, who passed away last year.

That went to central defender Remi Streete who has captained the club's younger Academy sides and was called up to the U18s bench late in 2009 - just a month after turning 15.

Born in Aylesbury, Remi now lives with his family in South Shields and is following in the footsteps of his father Floyd who made over 350 appearances in the Football League for Cambridge United, Derby County, Wolves and Reading

But while the St James' Park club continue to scour the cut-price end of the transfer market in preparation for next season, 18-year-old Academy product Brad Inman is hoping his form for Alan Thompson's reserve team – rewarded at this week's annual Sport Newcastle awards ceremony with the 'Wor Jackie' trophy for the second string's most promising youngster – could yet earn him promotion to the first-team set-up and save United some cash.

Inman: "I'm Free!"

Guest Barrack Road

If this Reynolds was good enough for the Premiership, Celtic and Rangers would've signed him, plus he'd be in the full Scotland squad, and even then probs wouldn't be.

If this Reynolds was good enough for the Premiership, Celtic and Rangers would've signed him, plus he'd be in the full Scotland squad, and even then probs wouldn't be.

I thought that myself. The fact he isn't even in the squad is probably a sign. The article says Rangers had a bid of less than a mil turned down a year or so ago.

But while the St James' Park club continue to scour the cut-price end of the transfer market in preparation for next season, 18-year-old Academy product Brad Inman is hoping his form for Alan Thompson's reserve team – rewarded at this week's annual Sport Newcastle awards ceremony with the 'Wor Jackie' trophy for the second string's most promising youngster – could yet earn him promotion to the first-team set-up and save United some cash.

Inman: "I'm Free!"

good post there lad.

Sounds like Scotland is the place to go to offer players low wages. I assume CH will be off to the Outer Hebrides next, with the generous offer of 3 goats, 2 sheep and a chicken for 4 years tucked up his sleeve.

Local gongs handed out:

Streete naming ceremony!

Monday evening saw the annual Sport Newcastle awards staged at the Civic Centre, with Alan Shearer among those handing out trophies.

Injured Magpies defender Steven Taylor walked away with the Newcastle Sports Personality of the Year title, while midfielder Brad Inman picked up the Wor Jackie Award for the brightest prospect from the Academy.

A new award was also presented for the first time, commemorating the renowned local football talent scout Jack Hixon, who passed away last year.

That went to central defender Remi Streete who has captained the club's younger Academy sides and was called up to the U18s bench late in 2009 - just a month after turning 15.

Born in Aylesbury, Remi now lives with his family in South Shields and is following in the footsteps of his father Floyd who made over 350 appearances in the Football League for Cambridge United, Derby County, Wolves and Reading

What for? ;)

Most articles rimming the manager in the Chronicle?

Local gongs handed out:

Streete naming ceremony!

What for? ;)

Most articles rimming the manager in the Chronicle?

I read somewhere that he got it for not leaving the club in the summer(in the Journal, I think)!

Guest Barrack Road

I thought that myself. The fact he isn't even in the squad is probably a sign. The article says Rangers had a bid of less than a mil turned down a year or so ago.

I met a Scotsman on the Quayside yesterday, work candidate of mine for a pint, he was saying like the standard of the SPL "outwith"* the old firm isn't even championship standard.

* Why do they all say outwith?

Graham Dorrans was playing at Livingston when WBA signed him. I think he's a decent squad player for Premiership level. There are a few decent players in Scotland outside of Glasgow. Steven Fletcher only cost £3m from Hibs (iirc) and he's scored 7 in a poor team and looked fairly decent imo.

Guest Barrack Road

Graham Dorrans was playing at Livingston when WBA signed him. I think he's a decent squad player for Premiership level. There are a few decent players in Scotland outside of Glasgow. Steven Fletcher only cost £3m from Hibs (iirc) and he's scored 7 in a poor team and looked fairly decent imo.

I thought Fletcher even looked poor at Hibs whenever I saw him although he won me £160 with a header that hit his shoulder against Rangers or Hearts one time not so long ago. Good point regarding Dorrans however, difficult to think of many more since 2000 though.

I thought Fletcher even looked poor at Hibs whenever I saw him although he won me £160 with a header that hit his shoulder against Rangers or Hearts one time not so long ago. Good point regarding Dorrans however, difficult to think of many more since 2000 though.

I'll throw in McFadden and Gordon to get the ball rolling.