boro 2-2 NUFC

Barney

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think the Halls were primarily interested in anything ahead what they could trouser, you want you head examined tbh.

Of the three, I think Shepherd WAS the one who had passion about what the club could achieve - I just don't think he applied himself well and made a succession of mistakes which helped the club down the slippery slope.

Maybe. You are probably right. I just hope somebody comes along pretty sharpish and matches what they did then betters it.

The root of the problem Leazes is that because we were on a slippery decline, if the club had to be flogged, then it needed to be someone who wanted to heavily invest from the outset in order to stop the rot - much like Chelsea and Man City had when they were taken over (both were in a similar situation to us). What we didn't need is exactly what we got - someone who wanted to own a club but didn't want to put their hand in their pocket.

People go on about Ashley being a fool for not carrying out due dillegence but what doesn't get mentioned much is that the Halls certainly didn't do their homework on the person they were selling the club on to - and that, considering what 'fine business acumen' they are supposed to have is totally unforgivable in my eyes.

Shepherd to his credit was against the sale until he knew there was no point fighting so we can't blame him - that however doesn't exonerate him from the truly awful business decisions he made especially during the last 3 years of his tenure.

Kenny was blamed by many for dismantling Keegan's team but those who believed that a man who'd won 4 League Championships and 2 FA Cups in a 10 year managerial period wasn't going to make his mark on a team managed by a man who'd frankly won the second tier of the English League and come mightily close to winning the Premiership were very naive.

Granted what was is display on the pitch wasn't pretty but the results were still there (runners up in the league & FA Cup final in 18 months was admirable) but still many weren't satisfied. Dalglish's biggest problem was that his appointment co-incided with the floatation. The club were obsessed with recouping money for the older players (Ferdinand in particular) and definitely stunted what Dalglish wanted to achieve.

If he'd been allowed the type of funds that he'd had at his disposal at Liverpool or Blackburn, or even what Keegan had before him I think it'd have been an altogether different story.

I beg to differ. The results weren't there under Dalglish. He got a runners up with Keegan's team (taking over in the February if memory serves). The full season he was in charge (trusting memory here again!) we were, I think, 13th and only 4 points or so off a relegation spot - and the football was tedious in the extreme. So much harder to take on the back of inheriting the best and most exciting NUFC team I'd ever seen.

Its all opinions, fair enough like, but Dalglish didn't impress me at the time and does so even less in retrospect. And those mumbled miserable press calls could actually make Glenn Roeder sound charismatic.

You're concentrating on what happened on the pitch alone though - he was under orders to recoup a shit-load of cash from players sales in order to satisfy the bank that had fronted the Shearer purchase. I'm led to believe that the sales of Clark, Elliott, Ferdinand & Asprilla were all out of his hands. The money men were running circus, not the ringmaster.