General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See some of the cheeky fuckers. Three (I think) of the labour MPs who are being forced to pay back their expenses (in the rules my arse!) have applied, and been granted, legal aid! So, we pay their expenses and have to pay their legal costs so they can defend their claims?

Heard about that. My thoughts were that hopefully they'll lose their case and be made to pay costs. Everyone's entitled to legal aid though I suppose although they obviously have no shame. Nice timing as well.

DEBATE: THE RULES

The three debates will each last 90 minutes, half of which will be dedicated to a single theme.

Tonight’s debate in Manchester will focus on domestic issues like crime, immigration and public services

Members of the 200-strong audience are banned from heckling or even applauding, except at the beginning and end of the show

David Cameron has secured the coveted centre stage spot for tonight’s debate, with Gordon Brown to his left and Nick Clegg to his right. Aides believe it will make him look ‘in charge’

The questions and audience have been carefully vetted for political balance. All personal questions have been banned

Leaders will have one minute each to answer each question, with a large clock on the wall counting down the seconds. They will then debate with each other for four minutes

The broadcasters have nominated heavyweight figures to police the debates. But the ‘moderators’, beginning tonight with ITV’s Alastair Stewart, will not be able to challenge the leaders

The 76 rules governing the debates were hammered out by the parties and the broadcasters during weeks of negotiations. They cover every aspect of the programme, including an insistence that the leaders will shake hands at the end.

I think that the leaders debate is a huge step forward for British Politics.

The Lib Dems must be delighted, it's a real opportunity to present themselves as a genuine alternative. Labour on the other hand must hate the fact that Brown is fronting it.

I think that the leaders debate is a huge step forward for British Politics.

The Lib Dems must be delighted, it's a real opportunity to present themselves as a genuine alternative. Labour on the other hand must hate the fact that Brown is fronting it.

Quite amazed Labour agreed to it. Only see this as a no win situation for them. Libs definitely the big winners.

The three debates will each last 90 minutes, half of which will be dedicated to a single theme.

Tonight’s debate in Manchester will focus on domestic issues like crime, immigration and public services

Members of the 200-strong audience are banned from heckling or even applauding, except at the beginning and end of the show

David Cameron has secured the coveted centre stage spot for tonight’s debate, with Gordon Brown to his left and Nick Clegg to his right. Aides believe it will make him look ‘in charge’

The questions and audience have been carefully vetted for political balance. All personal questions have been banned

Leaders will have one minute each to answer each question, with a large clock on the wall counting down the seconds. They will then debate with each other for four minutes

The broadcasters have nominated heavyweight figures to police the debates. But the ‘moderators’, beginning tonight with ITV’s Alastair Stewart, will not be able to challenge the leaders

The 76 rules governing the debates were hammered out by the parties and the broadcasters during weeks of negotiations. They cover every aspect of the programme, including an insistence that the leaders will shake hands at the end.

It will mainly be about not making any gaffs.

Indeed. And Cameron has a slight advantage having had to go head to head with David Davis at the 05 Tory Conference when vying for the leadership.

I think he's likely to fair better in the debates than Gordon Brown. Pitching Cameron up against Blair would have been an interesting debate IMO

Indeed.

That's what I dislike about politics. That people won't take a risk for fear of getting flak if it goes wrong.

In my own little idealistic world I'd much prefer it if Brown said, yes we have stolen that Tory policy, it seemed very sensible and I think it will benefit the country overall so I don't apologise for using it.

Or a Tory MP saying, no I'm not going to follow the party whip because what the Government is trying to implement will benefit the people of the UK.

Every MP is there as they've been chosen to represent us, normal parliamentary business shouldn't always reflect party politics in my view, it should be based on what's best for the country. Save the party politics for election time.

Edited by donaldstott

Tory policy

provide university and further education scholarships for the children of servicemen and women killed while on active duty

So you need to die to secure it? What a vote winner. We'll all be joining up and scouring the roadsides for bombs to trod on.

Begin spending cuts in 2010 to eliminate "the bulk" of the UK's structural deficit within five years.....

....protect the defence budget for 2010-11.

Why is it social spending can always be cut, but never defence?

Tory policy

provide university and further education scholarships for the children of servicemen and women killed while on active duty

So you need to die to secure it? What a vote winner. We'll all be joining up and scouring the roadsides for bombs to trod on.

Begin spending cuts in 2010 to eliminate "the bulk" of the UK's structural deficit within five years.....

....protect the defence budget for 2010-11.

Why is it social spending can always be cut, but never defence?

It's okay to take money off the dole-walling spongers but we must protect our boys in Afghanistan.

That's what the general public will think anyway.

Edited by ewerk

It's this pseudoempowerment of the public I find most cringworthy. Surely we pay politicians to govern us and don't want to (and are not capable of) governing ourselves?!

Also this marriage allowance. What a crock of shit that is.

Indeed.

That's what I dislike about politics. That people won't take a risk for fear of getting flak if it goes wrong.

In my own little idealistic world I'd much prefer it if Brown said, yes we have stolen that Tory policy, it seemed very sensible and I think it will benefit the country overall so I don't apologise for using it.

Or a Tory MP saying, no I'm not going to follow the party whip because what the Government is trying to implement will benefit the people of the UK.

Every MP is there as they've been chosen to represent us, normal parliamentary business shouldn't always reflect party politics in my view, it should be based on what's best for the country. Save the party politics for election time.

From the Tory Manifesto.... :lol:

support Labours Points-Based System, but also establish an annual limit on non-EU economic migrants