Newcastle trailing Swede

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness is looking to bolster his injury-prone Newcastle midfield with he acquisition of Anderlecht winger Christian Wilhelmsson.

The Swedish wide man has been one of the Belgian side's better performers in their poor Champions League campaign and Newcastle are leading the chase to sign him with Fiorentina also believed to be in the hunt.

Wilhelmsson, a key player for Sweden at Euro 2004, has recently signed a new deal with Anderlecht, but has a clause in the contract saying that they must sell should a big club come in for him. The player is interested in moving to one of Europe's bigger leagues, and with the January transfer window approaching, and the Belgian side already eliminated from the Champions League, a switch to St. James's Park may be quite tempting for the player.

Wilhelmsson (25) said: "My plans are to come to a big league, England, Spain or Italy.

"I have been in this business for a long time so I do not expect anything. If you do that you will get disappointed if it does not work out okay.

"The get-out clause in my new contract is a big advantage. I feel very safe and I am more motivated in the league."