Football personalities you admire.

Craig

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from some of the more obvious choices like Baresi, Paul McGrath, Thuram and Maldini etc. I always thought Jurgen Kohler was an absolutely class defender. Sort of like Tony Adams but better on the ball.

Eusabio

I think one the most sporting things I've "seen" in a football match was when the cunt Charlton scored the second goal against Portugal in 66 and Eusebio shook his hand as he was running back for the kick-off as if to say" Hats off mate, game over".

BIG AL

Rooney

Ferguson (only for his managerial abilities...)

Mourinho

Clough

Paisley

Stokoe

Keegan

SBR

Lawrie McMenemy

Hodgson

Neil Warnock (I quite like him tbh... :yes)

Martin O'Neill

Ottmar Hitzfeld

Felix Magath

Edited by KingKev

Guest Barrack Road
Apart from some of the more obvious choices like Baresi, Paul McGrath, Thuram and Maldini etc. I always thought Jurgen Kohler was an absolutely class defender. Sort of like Tony Adams but better on the ball.

Taking the Italians out of the equation, I think it's fair to say Serie A was the best league in the 90's, and the best defender was a Uruguayan centre half who played for Juventus. So good I can't remember his fucking name, but he was a rock.

Eusabio

I think one the most sporting things I've "seen" in a football match was when the cunt Charlton scored the second goal against Portugal in 66 and Eusebio shook his hand as he was running back for the kick-off as if to say" Hats off mate, game over".

same match Stepney does qa point blank save and he goes over and pats him on the back

Taking the Italians out of the equation, I think it's fair to say Serie A was the best league in the 90's, and the best defender was a Uruguayan centre half who played for Juventus. So good I can't remember his fucking name, but he was a rock.

Paolo Montero??

Guest Barrack Road

Paolo Montero??

Yes. Absolutely brilliant defender, not that tall neither, but faultless, he was a big reason behind Juventus' success, him Di Livio, Ferrara and Torricelli.

Of course there is the Newcastle connection, but I probably speak for most people here when I say Sir Bobby Robson. I'm sure that had he never been connected to the club we would all still say it. An absolute gent of a man, and a great example of a human being both in and out of football.

I quite like Jose Mourinho as well. He just made me laugh, and I think his arrogance is great!

Paolo Montero??

Yes. Absolutely brilliant defender, not that tall neither, but faultless, he was a big reason behind Juventus' success, him Di Livio, Ferrara and Torricelli.

there you go! a personality I admire and had completely forgot about

superb player and did what I dont think any other modern day footballer would do when fiorentina died, stayed with the phoenix club all the way

Of course there is the Newcastle connection, but I probably speak for most people here when I say Sir Bobby Robson. I'm sure that had he never been connected to the club we would all still say it. An absolute gent of a man, and a great example of a human being both in and out of football.

I quite like Jose Mourinho as well. He just made me laugh, and I think his arrogance is great!

I do like mourinho, english football is worse off for not having him in it stirring up controversy like no one else could

Some great defenders there in particular Stevie. Torricelli was class but just happened to be playing at the same time as Maldini as far as Italy caps were concerned (a bit like Candela and Angloma being around at the same time as Lizarazu and Thuram). Another player you've reminded me of with the mention of Montero is Cordoba who is smaller and probably an even tougher character. Also, while we're on about Inter Milan, has there been a more complete right-back than Zanetti over the past 10+ years?

Paolo Montero??

Apparently Montero is still the holder of the most red cards in Serie A history!

Guest Barrack Road
Some great defenders there in particular Stevie. Torricelli was class but just happened to be playing at the same time as Maldini as far as Italy caps were concerned (a bit like Candela and Angloma being around at the same time as Lizarazu and Thuram). Another player you've reminded me of with the mention of Montero is Cordoba who is smaller and probably an even tougher character. Also, while we're on about Inter Milan, has there been a more complete right-back than Zanetti over the past 10+ years?

He scored against us didn't he??

Can you remember that bloke who got sent off playing for Torino against Juventus, and it took them 5 mins to get him off the pitch and even when he was off he still tried to chin the ref. Think he played for Hearts too.

Has there been a more complete right-back than Zanetti over the past 10+ years?

Great shout. Unbelievably good footballer.

Played over 600 games for Inter over 15 years, 40 games a season over that length of time at that level is outstanding.

Strictly non-NUFC, I'll say Colin Hendry. Absolute hard-as-nails defender who was the foundation of so much of our success. On a related note, I have a love/hate thing with Roy Hodgson. He's an utterly decent chap, always honest after a game and doesn't indulge in the bollocks wankers like Benitez, Ferguson and Wenger do. However, when he was Rovers manager he replaced Hendry with Dailly and Peacock (thanks for that), and spent masses of cash on really shit players.

Other names worth a mention:

1. Alan Shearer (I still respect him when other some Rovers fans don't)

2. Eric Cantona

3. Franco Zola

4. Claude Makalele

5. Ian Holloway

6. Mark Atkins

7. Peter Schmeichel