Bristol City 2-2 Newcastle United

Deano

I was screaming for a substitute throughout the second half, Can't work out why they left Ranger on the bench when he's shown time and again he's good at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game.

I know it's a point gained, but bar an error and a wonder-goal we should have won that.

I still think it was a penalty in the first minute and if Guthrie or Nolan had finished their chances I think we'd have won that.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Andy Carrol is shaping up to be a good player now.

I'm really pleased with what we are seeing from him.

Harper messed up re the 1st goal but they all drop clangers now and again.

I think Andy Carrol is shaping up to be a good player now.

I'm really pleased with what we are seeing from him.

Harper messed up re the 1st goal but they all drop clangers now and again.

Shame we're going to lose him for six months or so shortly. :lol:

In the first half, despite the amount of possession we had, we never looked like winning and it looked pretty gloomy at half-time.

Second-half we could have won, should have won, blew 2 points again but I suppose we must be thankful we didn't blow all three.

Can't understand why Hughton didn't give the lone Ranger some time on the field, he has shown more promise than Best has since he arrived.

Guthrie's balls in weren't as good as they have been.

Enrique has turned out to be a class act.

Lot of errant passing today.

We picked-up one point in total but Forest & West Brom picked up three apiece, closing the gap.

Agree with most things that have been said except Best just having a lack of confidence, he lacks ability more than anything. Gutierrez was class today but I don't know if it's just me who thinks the edge was taken off his performance today because he's so bloody weak and dives all over the shop?

Should have been 3 points really, on the balance of play - on everything.

Their first goal was a Keeper error from Harper. Their second was a superb shot resulting from Simpson gving thier player too much space.

Had plenty of chances to win the game in the second half, just couldn't get it done. Nonetheless coming back from 2-0 down at the half regardless of the opponent is a good result. Away from home even better. It's the kind of result that even though it wasn't a win will give the team some additional confidence going forward. I can't imagine how pathetic the second half would have been for us last season if we were 2 goals down, so there has definitely been a massive shift in attitude. Winning games does that.

Enrique again a standout. Routledge had an interesting game, he started decently, but through the middle of the game dropped off and looked like he was going to fade to nothing. Then he got a second wind and kicked on to get in behind their defense on several occassions when switched to the left. Jonas was good all game, had a first half cross that Carroll should have done better with as well as some enterprising play of his own. In the second as well he was absolutely infuriating the Bristol players and their supporters which was good to see :lol: Guthrie unlucky not to score towards the end of the first half, made an excellent incisive run down the middle interchanging passes with Carroll knocked the ball past the keeper but then unfortunately put his shot into one of the rushing back defenders. Speaking of Carroll he really did have a very good game. What impressed be most was probably his passing whch has lacked previously. He seemed to have very good vision in this game linking up with his teammates on several occassions. His goal was very well taken also. Overall Best was pretty ineffectual, but did seem to grow in confidence late in the game and had a few good touches. Put some power on a headed chance and forced a very good save from their keeper. I agree that what he lacks is ability - for me he seems to obvious a player, and when the defense know what you're going to do it doesnt; matter how well you do it, normally they'll be able to put a stop to it. Fitz Hall will be missing for a while by the looks of it, but Kadar looked a very capable replacement. At one stage he belted a shot from distance at their keeper. If we had had players following in the shot one cuold have tucked it away after the kepper couldn't hold it initially.

Edited by OzToonFan

Their first goal was a Keeper error from Harper. Their second was a superb shot resulting from Simpson gving thier player too much space.

Had plenty of chances to win the game in the second half, just couldn't get it done. Nonetheless coming back from 2-0 down at the half regardless of the opponent is a good result. Away from home even better. It's the kind of result that even though it wasn't a win will give the team some additional confidence going forward. I can't imagine how pathetic the second half would have been for us last season if we were 2 goals down, so there has definitely been a massive shift in attitude. Winning games does that.

Enrique again a standout. Routledge had an interesting game, he started decently, but through the middle of the game dropped off and looked like he was going to fade to nothing. Then he got a second wind and kicked on to get in behind their defense on several occassions when switched to the left. Jonas was good all game, had a first half cross that Carroll should have done better with as well as some enterprising play of his own. In the second as well he was absolutely infuriating the Bristol players and their supporters which was good to see :D Guthrie unlucky not to score towards the end of the first half, made an excellent incisive run down the middle interchanging passes with Carroll knocked the ball past the keeper but then unfortunately put his shot into one of the rushing back defenders. Speaking of Carroll he really did have a very good game. What impressed be most was probably his passing whch has lacked previously. He seemed to have very good vision in this game linking up with his teammates on several occassions. His goal was very well taken also. Overall Best was pretty ineffectual, but did seem to grow in confidence late in the game and had a few good touches. Put some power on a headed chance and forced a very good save from their keeper. I agree that what he lacks is ability - for me he seems to obvious a player, and when the defense know what you're going to do it doesnt; matter how well you do it, normally they'll be able to put a stop to it. Fitz Hall will be missing for a while by the looks of it, but Kadar looked a very capable replacement. At one stage he belted a shot from distance at their keeper. If we had had players following in the shot one cuold have tucked it away after the kepper couldn't hold it initially.

Can we have a full match report? :lol:

I agree with all of that though.

Enrique again a standout. Routledge had an interesting game, he started decently, but through the middle of the game dropped off and looked like he was going to fade to nothing. Then he got a second wind and kicked on to get in behind their defense on several occassions when switched to the left. Jonas was good all game, had a first half cross that Carroll should have done better with as well as some enterprising play of his own. In the second as well he was absolutely infuriating the Bristol players and their supporters which was good to see :icon_lol: Guthrie unlucky not to score towards the end of the first half, made an excellent incisive run down the middle interchanging passes with Carroll knocked the ball past the keeper but then unfortunately put his shot into one of the rushing back defenders. Speaking of Carroll he really did have a very good game. What impressed be most was probably his passing whch has lacked previously. He seemed to have very good vision in this game linking up with his teammates on several occassions. His goal was very well taken also. Overall Best was pretty ineffectual, but did seem to grow in confidence late in the game and had a few good touches. Put some power on a headed chance and forced a very good save from their keeper. I agree that what he lacks is ability - for me he seems to obvious a player, and when the defense know what you're going to do it doesnt; matter how well you do it, normally they'll be able to put a stop to it. Fitz Hall will be missing for a while by the looks of it, but Kadar looked a very capable replacement. At one stage he belted a shot from distance at their keeper. If we had had players following in the shot one cuold have tucked it away after the kepper couldn't hold it initially.

Can we have a full match report? :lol:

I agree with all of that though.

Can we have some player ratings? :D

I also agree.

Some good football second half, another goal for Carroll and Enrique a class apart throughout the match in defence and attack.

A draw away is never the end of the world especially if its a good comeback and we were close to snatching it towards the end. Best was quite unlucky, yes ideally you'd want the header to have been a bit to either side but i think it was a decent effort from him, shame as it would have given him a massive lift getting a winner there.

agreed.

I think Best is getting a bad press but Enrique is so good against this level of opposition its frightening

Sincere or not...

Harper - 5 Spilled the ball for their first goal. Otherwise wasn't really called on. Was confident and composed later in the match despite the error.

Simpson - 5.5 Gave their striker too much space for the second goal. Showed good movement to get up and down the pitch but defensively wasn't convincing.

Coloccini - 6.5 Largely composed and when tested seemed to do just enough to get by. Gave away a needless foul or two.

Hall - 7 When he was on he actually looked quite solid. Made a good block. Didn't really do anything wrong - apart from get injured.

Enrique - 9 Dominant defensive display. Literally is a class above. Can improve on his fnal options when getting forward.

Routledge - 7.5 Started well then went a bit stale, turning the ball over or running himself out of options. In the second half he was back to his best, getting into some dangerous positions and providing the pass for Carroll's equalising goal.

Guthrie - 7 A solid but unspectacular performance. Most impressive was his use of the ball, rarely if ever turning it over. Should have scored towards he end of the second half after an incisive run and 1-2 with Carroll. Went by the keeper but then put his shot into a defender.

Nolan - 5.5 Didn't do a great deal. Sprayed a tough shot high and wide, and also put a very good headed chance straight at the keeper. Passing was adequate but he should have been more prevalent in attack given the amount of possession we had.

Jonas - 8.5 A good performance. Was dangerous all game. In the first he put in an early cross that Carroll should have at least put on target. Snuck up on a defender to nick the ball off him from a Bristol goal kick. Then easily rounded the keeper and passed into the back of the net. No nonsense celebration just wanted to get on with the game and get the equalising goal. Smashed a shot from a corner on target that their keeper saved, and was dangerous in the closing moments.

Best - 5.5 Looked predictable when be had the ball particularly early on when he had a good chance to send a shot goal bound but instead checked back and had his telecast shot easily blocked. Later in the match he made some good passes, but really would need to do A LOT more if he wants to dislodge LovenK or Carroll from a striking role.

Carroll - 7.5 Finished like a true striker for his goal, but could have had a goal already at that stage. Played a perfect little ball into the path of Guthrie that should have been an assist. Overall his passing was very good. Linked up nicely with others.

Kadar - 7 did nothing wrong and showed pace and an ability to read the game. Will be an asset next season.

Just for you shamrock mate! :lol:

Harper...6 Bad error for goal and slow to react but not much else to do.

Simspon...5 I thought he was awful defensively, not that good going forward, doesnt overlap or cross from deep with any quality or regularity, starting to worry about him!

Hall...7 Solid, strong, alert and composed. I have been impressed with him but would struggle in the PL imo.

Coloccini...6 One of his poorer games. He was hestitant and caught out of position a few times...missing his pal Williamson.

Enrique...9 Outstanding! Strong and quick, anticipated well, skillfull and good going forward...would like to see him ping a few at goal more and get a few more early crosses in from deep.

Gutierrez...8 I actually think he was awful in the 1st half giving the ball away alot but second half was our MOM relieved pressure with his running and his drive got us back in the game...and unlucky with a great strike too!

Guthrie...6 Poor performance and never really got going until late on, wasted posession quite a bit and really should of scored...didnt need to round the keeper!

Nolan...6 Poor, slow, laboured, wasteful and should have scored with his header!

Routledge 7 Indifferent performance, started bright, disappeared for a while but like gutierrez he was instrumental in our comeback with an assist, good vision and drive.

Carroll 9 MOM worked tirelessly leading the line AND in defence. His use of the ball was good and took his goal very well! Next seasons Number 9!

Best...4 Wank

Kadar 6...Said it for a while, he looks like he has HUGE potential, very composed, strong and good feet for a CB...and some strike on him too!

Anybody else think on seeing the handball in the first minute that West Brom would have that given their "luck" with pens lately? - though I didn't expect anything of that areshole of a ref and I was proved right on that.

The rest was just what we've come to expect - good spirit but still prone to being out-fought by shite.

I think unfortunately that was given the first minutes of the game take the easy way out and not give it option by the ref. If we scored then it would have been a completely different game I believe.

Guest Barrack Road

Had a row with a friend of mine on Friday regarding Best, he was basically saying he's a rough diamond who will become our Les Ferdinand...oh dear. I think the fact a good few COVENTRY CITY fans were pleased they sold him tells you quite a lot. 2 goals in 31 games last season, he's now had 4 starts for us and numerous other opportunities and he's taken none of them. He's nervous, and in my view is displaying classic Garry Birtles syndrome. A quick sharp striker would've at the very least forces the keeper in to a save early doors, but he couldn't get his leg moving, and the sum total of his toon career to date, is that cross at Swansea and the header straight at the keeper last night.

Bristol were there for the taking last night, and if we played this game 10 times I'd expect us to win 7, but 2-2 not the end of the world, and often never easy playing against a side who have lost a manager.

As a side note, you here about these idiots giving out banning orders leftt right and centre, in my view those eight twats dressed as banana's should be banned for life from every ground in England and Wales.

If he becomes 'our Les Ferdinand' I'll eat my hat. :lol:

Les was the best header of a ball this club has ever seen and scored with awesome regularity. Coventry mugged us IMO - he's not good enough for this league never mind the Premiership.

Guest Barrack Road

Les was the best header of a ball this club has ever seen and scored with awesome regularity. Coventry mugged us IMO - he's not good enough for this league never mind the Premiership.

I agree. FWIW I think Andy Carroll is the best in the air since Les.

FWIW I think Andy Carroll is the best in the air since Les.

Probably right although Big Dunc was pretty decent with his head too... and not just on other people.

Gary Speed.

Guest Barrack Road

Probably right although Big Dunc was pretty decent with his head too... and not just on other people.

Aye Big Dunc was awesome too when he was fit! Heard a horrible story about him last week though. A Scottish bloke I know through work, massive Celtic fan, he reckons the reason Rangers got rid of him to Everton was there was some big gala evening in Glasgow for the Old Firm players, and Ferguson grabs the mic pissed and says "The only thing Celtic players will be lifting above their shoulders this season is Tony Mowbray's wifes coffin." Oh dear. Great in the air though.

Guest Barrack Road

Gary Speed.

Aye I always cherish that equaliser at Spurs he was tremendous in the air, but I don't know if any of them were as good as Carroll at 20. Dabizas was like a salmon too.

Andy Carroll is basically a more mobile version of Duncan. I think he's a better player at 21 than Ferguson was at 21. Again, he didnt do a hellish lot yesterday (especially in the first half, but he wasnt alone in that) but he still scored. Some very nice touches in the second half, when he's on his game he's a joy to watch...at this level..... :lol:

20 years since I was last at a game at Ashton Gate before yesterday, and that was the last time someone twatted me at a match....sadly, looks like things haven't changed much in Bristol...but in saying that watching 3 or 4 Bristolians scatter about 20 of our lot who were in no doubt "up for it" would've beenin parts funny and shaming, if two of our lads hadnt required hospital treatment, and also those of us who came to their aid received a slap from the returning city fans for their trouble...nice place Bristol :D

Guest Barrack Road

Andy Carroll is basically a more mobile version of Duncan. I think he's a better player at 21 than Ferguson was at 21. Again, he didnt do a hellish lot yesterday (especially in the first half, but he wasnt alone in that) but he still scored. Some very nice touches in the second half, when he's on his game he's a joy to watch...at this level..... :lol:

20 years since I was last at a game at Ashton Gate before yesterday, and that was the last time someone twatted me at a match....sadly, looks like things haven't changed much in Bristol...but in saying that watching 3 or 4 Bristolians scatter about 20 of our lot who were in no doubt "up for it" would've beenin parts funny and shaming, if two of our lads hadnt required hospital treatment, and also those of us who came to their aid received a slap from the returning city fans for their trouble...nice place Bristol :D

I heard there was trouble, what exactly happened? Fuckin Welsh cunts. It's always these non event places, where people are trying and failing to make a name for themselves like Stoke, Burnley, Wolverhampton and Bristol.

Edited by Barrack Road