Wireless

Craig

OK I might work in IT but networks is definitely not my strong point...

Have been with Virgin broadband for a couple of years now with no problem. Have one of their shitty little black cable modems with a single ethernet port off the back of it and until recently I've had a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router sitting between that and my PC with my laptop hooking in through the wireless.

Everything was sound until around Xmas when I found I kept losing connection and having to reboot the Linksys box regularly (about twice an hour). The PC with direct connection seemed fine so naturally assumed it was either the wireless card in the laptop or the wireless broadcast from the router. Borrowed an identical laptop from work to try to eliminate the laptop and again a problem leading me to presume it was the router.

Bought a Belkin cable router and low and behold the connection doesn't drop any more but....

If I try to stream media - say a youtube clip for instance it'll get so far and then halt. The clip will play to this point and then stop and I have to refresh the page. Same goes for file downloads. - anything over half a meg causes a problem. I've tried direct connection to the router which is better but still not great, however if i directly connect my laptop to Virgin's cable modem and reboot the modem (so that my TCP/IP stack rebuilds) then suddenly I'm getting the performance I expect and had prior to Christmas.

Have whinged to Virgin but obviously as when I'm connected to their box direct all is good they're claiming there's nothing they can do to help and it's outside their support remit.

Any one got any ideas or can suggest something because this is really beginning to do my fucking head in!

Many thanks in advance.

I'll add on that standard web surfing and using forums such as this don't seem to be affected. Anything think it's throttling in some way??

Was also thinking that the client machines will be using a local IP addressed served by the router rather than the one supplied to the cable modem - could this be the issue? Any config changes I need to make or can be recommended??

Manually assign the I.P addresses for both computers or if using one make sure your wireless is secure and change the channel of the wireless Broadcast to suit the operating system. (CH1 for Vista/W7, CH11 for XP)

Ahhhh I think you may have touched on something here Tom - as far as I know I'm using channel 11 but I'm on Win7. Does changing to channel 1 make all the difference? :icon_lol:

EDIT: Just checked and channel selection is set to Auto, currently picking up channel 1. :icon_lol:

It's set to auto?

Setting it to 1 should make it easier to get a consistent connection.

We have to work out whether it's a physical issue in the home or an issue in the software/ I.P clash etc.

I can't see why it would kick you off. Sometimes it can be due to the network key being case sensitive, a lot of the time it lets you in when you have the case wrong and then eventually figures it out and kicks you off.

Have you checked the upload/download on the router for each physical set up?

I'd disconnect the router and plug the laptop directly into the Virgin box. Then try again. If it works, you know its the wireless router, if it doesn't; you can get on the phone to Virgin :icon_lol:

I'd disconnect the router and plug the laptop directly into the Virgin box. Then try again. If it works, you know its the wireless router, if it doesn't; you can get on the phone to Virgin :icon_lol:

Been there and done that one but thanks Steve.

Someone at work mentioned something along the lines of what Tom was saying and trying a different channel - reckons there's probably a whole host of wireless routers connecting through the same channel as mine and it's all getting into a big mess.

The packet-loss I'm experiencing is a good indication that is the case apparently so that'll be my next port of call.

I've hard-set it to channel 6 and am getting vitually no packet loss now and the response is superb.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one Tom. ;)