Laptop screwed

Matt

While playing Champ Man this evening, my laptop (as it is prone to doing, overheated and turned itself off. As this was happening on a regular basis, i decided to check the CPU fan to see if there was a build up of dust preventing the airflow. I unscrewed the baseplate and then unsrewed the cooling mechanism which came off quite freely. I assume it had been pasted on as there seemed to be a metallic film square attatched to the bottom of the fan assembly. I now fear that the CPU had fused itself to the fan unit and have effectively buggered the CPU.

It starts up, then as soon as the BIOS kicks in, it drops dead.

I'm fucked without my laptop, I'm getting a new PC soon anyway but I need the data on there (plus I can't get onto forums much without it!).

Is my diagnosis correct, it did seem as though the top of the CPU had detached.

Whatever happens, I'll be taking it to Mr Local PC Shop first thing Monday and praying that he can sort it.

The film could just be the layer of thermal compound that a CPU should have between it and the heat sink.

I had a similar problem with my laptop which I eventually found was due to the partition on the HD not being activated.

Can you actually get into the bios and if so is the HD recognised? If its not then it may be the same problem I had.

I fixed mine by booting with a CD with FDISK on it and re-activating the HD.

The film could just be the layer of thermal compound that a CPU should have between it and the heat sink.

I had a similar problem with my laptop which I eventually found was due to the partition on the HD not being activated.

Can you actually get into the bios and if so is the HD recognised? If its not then it may be the same problem I had.

I fixed mine by booting with a CD with FDISK on it and re-activating the HD.

5034[/snapback]

Correct, that is heatsink compound.

Having looked at some images of intel mobile processors I don't think my inital worry was right- however something is definitely wrong- I've not altered anything apart from trying to blow dust out of the fan but unscrewing it. I suppose I could have fried it, but I was hooked up with a wriststrap clipped to an earth.

I can't get to the BIOS menu, it powers off before I get the chance.

Is it on battery or plugged in? - maybe your battery is completely screwed.

5040[/snapback]

No, that's fine- everything was OK (apart from running at very high tmperature) until I mucked about. That's what's annoying me- this is a self-inflicted wound!

While playing Champ Man this evening, my laptop (as it is prone to doing, overheated and turned itself off. As this was happening on a regular basis, i decided to check the CPU fan to see if there was a build up of dust preventing the airflow. I unscrewed the baseplate and then unsrewed the cooling mechanism which came off quite freely. I assume it had been pasted on as there seemed to be a metallic film square attatched to the bottom of the fan assembly. I now fear that the CPU had fused itself to the fan unit and have effectively buggered the CPU.

It starts up, then as soon as the BIOS kicks in, it drops dead.

I'm fucked without my laptop, I'm getting a new PC soon anyway but I need the data on there (plus I can't get onto forums much without it!).

Is my diagnosis correct, it did seem as though the top of the CPU had detached.

Whatever happens, I'll be taking it to Mr Local PC Shop first thing Monday and praying that he can sort it.

5006[/snapback]

Strange. That's exactly what happened to me a week ago (but I wasn't playing FM but had openen some very large word files). All what I wanted to save was the hard disk, but that seems to be buggered and all the stored data lost (at least the shop where I got it from wasn't able to recover it, I still have to give it to the university nerds).

Carefull they don't find your smut collection....

You know what happend to:

_517863_glitter300.jpg

5007[/snapback]

:D hopefully he doesn't that kind of smut on and he'll be sound