Mowbray and Keane

Marko

Mowbray has been sacked/walked one of the two im not sure Either way he's no longer at Celtic.

I rate Mowbray. he's had a bit of a tough time in Celtic but he was good at WBA. If he had more money they would have stayed up and they play attacking football.

Robbie Keane won't be staying at Celtic because they cannot afford to keep him.

My argument is, we would be in a much much much better position with a manger like Mowbray here and a player of Robbie Keanes ability (who i believe with Mowbray we would have a chance of getting) than we would be with Hughton and struggling to bring in someone who can make a difference up front this season.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Next season, not this season ;)

Edited by Marko

He came bottom of the Premier League with West Brom, and has done awfully with Celtic. He was alright with Hibs but it hardly qualifies him to be in a better situation than Hughton to keep us up next season IMO.

He came bottom of the Premier League with West Brom, and has done awfully with Celtic. He was alright with Hibs but it hardly qualifies him to be in a better situation than Hughton to keep us up next season IMO.

Each to their own definitely. But Hughton hasn't a clue in my opinion. I don't believe for a second he's capable of keeping us up.

If Mowbray couldn't get Celtic within 12 points or whatever it is of Rangers, then he's a shit manager.

Keane isn't good enough, IMO. Doesn't challenge headers, does pointless step-overs(not the Denilson ones) and in general isn't. I never wanted him when we used to be linked back in the day, I think we should be aiming for a better caliber(if we can).

Keane is head and shoulders above anything we have at Newcastle. If there was a chance of bringing in Keane next season surely any fan here would bring him in!

I quite like Robbie Keane, but i'm not sure a 30+ striker on high wages will be the sort of thing we are looking for to stay in the Premiership. No matter what the general opinion on Hughton's abilities as a Premiership manager I think most people would have to admit it would be incredibley harsh not to give him at least half a season to see what he can do.

I thought Mowbray would have been a good manager once, but not so sure now. Its one thing trying to play good football but the lack of defensive organisation and capability his teams play with are worrying, especially for someone who was a good defender like he was.

I think that Owen Coyle has something about him, but picking and choosing managers is a minefield, there have always been managers who look ready for the big clubs but when they get the jobs make a mess of it.

As Barney says, if you manage Rangers or Celtic and do so badly - relatively speaking - it doesn't say much. Even Souness won the league up there and he took over Rangers when they were a long way behind Celtic, and Aberdeen too, courtesy of a certain Alex Ferguson, who moved to Manu and opened the door for him.........

why so anti CH?

He has done a good job. We have tried proven managers most have failed, next will be the comparisons to the Rat. The players respect him he has done very little wrong.

Change is what got us in this mess

Each to their own definitely. But Hughton hasn't a clue in my opinion. I don't believe for a second he's capable of keeping us up.

I'd been thinking of starting a thread praising Hughton but couldn't really be arsed. But your comment has inspired me.

I think he has done an outstanding job and to consider giving it to that big nosed smoggy is unreal.

The improvement in the form of the following has been marked - Colo, Enrique, Carroll, Nolan, Gutierrez.

Gutierrez especially has in the last season learned how to cross and is striking the ball a lot better.

Every time I see Carroll he gets better, he's grown in confidence is bossing centre halves and now imo looks more than capable of playing at Premier League level.

We are showing a character and fitness levels that mean we are getting a lot of late goals and rescuing a lot of games.

He's got rid of the right players and made some shrewd purchases and our injury record has arguably improved.

We have just set a club record for the number of clean sheets in a season.

We could well go a full season without losing at home.

We are 10 points clear of forest with a game in hand and about to get promoted, which is exactly the aim at the start of the season. Look at Boro, we've arguably sold more regular first teamers from last season than they have and look where they're languishing.

Do you think all of this happened by luck? It's incomprehendable to think that replacing him with Mowbray (a man who proved tactically naive enough to think that playing good football with average players would keep his team in the prem) is going to help us.

I personally think Hughton has done more than enough to keep his job, but if Fat Mike wanted to replace him I would hope it was for somebody with premier league pedigree or a much better CV than Tony fucking Mowbray.

Robbie Keane is a different conversation entirely and regardless of whether hughton, keegan, mowbray or the lord jesus christ were in charge his wages would still be far too high for fat mike.

*Soap box tucked away*

Edited by donaldstott

Mowbray is awful...fair crack to him for trying to instill attractive football, but finishing bottom with WBA and failing to keep up with one of the weakest Rangers teams in a long time who are totally skint is awful. Although patience is required when assembling a new squad (Mowbray did alot of buying and selling) this season for Celtic has been an embarassment.

Wouldnt want him at us.

As for Keane, he's much better than what we've got but ageing and too pricey. We need sensible wage packets and transfer fees and he will be neither.

I'd been thinking of starting a thread praising Hughton but couldn't really be arsed. But your comment has inspired me.

I think he has done an outstanding job and to consider giving it to that big nosed smoggy is unreal.

The improvement in the form of the following has been marked - Colo, Enrique, Carroll, Nolan, Gutierrez.

Gutierrez especially has in the last season learned how to cross and is striking the ball a lot better.

Every time I see Carroll he gets better, he's grown in confidence is bossing centre halves and now imo looks more than capable of playing at Premier League level.

We are showing a character and fitness levels that mean we are getting a lot of late goals and rescuing a lot of games.

He's got rid of the right players and made some shrewd purchases and our injury record has arguably improved.

We are 8 points clear of forest with a game in hand and about to get promoted, which is exactly the aim at the start of the season. Look at Boro, we've arguably sold more regular first teamers from last season than they have and look where they're languishing.

Do you think all of this happened by luck? It's incomprehendable to think that replacing him with Mowbray (a man who proved tactically naive enough to think that playing good football with average players would keep his team in the prem) is going to help us.

I personally think Hughton has done more than enough to keep his job, but if Fat Mike wanted to replace him I would hope it was for somebody with premier league pedigree or a much better CV than Tony fucking Mowbray.

Robbie Keane is a different conversation entirely and regardless of whether hughton, keegan, mowbray or the lord jesus christ were in charge his wages would still be far too high for fat mike.

*Soap box tucked away*

Well said, Hughton has done a superb job this season given how the majority of people thought we would fare. Would be completely wrong to replace him next year.

He's also done it without resorting to the shite patter we used to have to put up with Souness, Allardyce and JFK.

why so anti CH?

He has done a good job. We have tried proven managers most have failed, next will be the comparisons to the Rat. The players respect him he has done very little wrong.

Change is what got us in this mess

thing i worry about is if CH does prove to be out of his depth, by then it may be too late with the team we have......that being said fair enough on your last point.

constantly up against worse players

much as I like jonas, hes getting a lot more time on the ball, he wont at PL level

no measure tbh, we've all said several times how shocked we are at the standard at CCC level and will he still look that player after being in jail for 6 months?

another case of PL >>>> CCC

got rid of the right players? last I looked we're still loaded with Butt, Barton and severaly others not fit either for the PL or to wear the shirt

in the second tier, with a better team of individuals than anyone else

We are 10 points clear of forest with a game in hand and about to get promoted, which is exactly the aim at the start of the season. Look at Boro, we've arguably sold more regular first teamers from last season than they have and look where they're languishing.

*Soap box tucked away*

Guest Barrack Road

You must be joking. He is the modern day Ossie Ardiles. Commended for his teams style despite results wise being as poor as it gets.

If you realistically compare SPL teams to English. You have two teams about the standard of Swansea and Cardiff (literally), the rest vary between a Plymouth Argyle level and say Rochdale. Winning the league or at least a title bid should be a piece of piss. Strachan won three titles for fuck sake.

Rangers are fuckin shit, I'd be gutted if we signed Kenny Miller, and they're going to win the league by 20 points. Rangers and Celtic have reached the bottom I think. If you look back to 2001 to say 2004 they could both have been mid table Prem sides in them days, arguably, but now without proper investment, and something new they could fall even further, and that's pretty far when you look at their European showings this season.

constantly up against worse players I agree to an extent but there's been a definite improvement, especially in Carroll who was actually playing (and not scoring) in the CCC last season.

much as I like jonas, hes getting a lot more time on the ball, he wont at PL level There were dozens of occasions last season when Jonas had all the time in the world to deliver a final ball and invariably hit the first man. Don't get me wrong it still happens but not to the same extent.

no measure tbh, we've all said several times how shocked we are at the standard at CCC level and will he still look that player after being in jail for 6 months? Not sure how his jail term reflects on Hughton

another case of PL >>>> CCC Nah, anybody that watched the Villa game can not say that our team spirit was anything other than wholly unacceptable.

got rid of the right players? last I looked we're still loaded with Butt, Barton and severaly others not fit either for the PL or to wear the shirt I said he'd done an outstanding job, he's not a miracle man, nobody is going to touch Butt and Barton given their wages and trackrecord. But Geremi, Cacapa, Viduka, Duff, Owen, Martins and Beye have all gone. The pressure is on CH to see how he can mould the squad for the PL.

in the second tier, with a better team of individuals than anyone else It still needs the right attitude to make it happen.

*Soap box tucked away*

Edited by donaldstott

Hughton has proved to be good enough for the CCC. Whether he's good enough for the PL second time around, we shall see. I'm sceptical.

I'm all in favour of hiring a promising replacement for Hughton if he fails. But Mowbray doesn't seem to have any promise about him. As for Keane, I don't think there's any chance of signing him as he's comparatively old, overpaid and overrated.