Monitor Calibration

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I've been reading about monitor calibration and 'gamma'.

Basically, it's about having your monitor set up so any prints you do appear exactly the same in terms of brightness, contrast, etc as the image on the screen.

What I'm after is a free, easy to use tool if anyone can recommend something?

You need something that sits over your screen as (I dont believe) it can be done with software alone. We got one and at first running it seems to work however after a few goes we realised that the Before and After pics were always the same regardless. At that point I lost confidence.

you can have a go with software alone and it'll be /ok/

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

or buy one of those "dvd basics" calibration discs off play.com for a tenner they tend to be alright

i've a peripheral called SpyderPro http://spyder.datacolor.com/ works alright but it's pricey at £100'ish

Thats the one Ive got, it may well work great trouble is when you look at the before and after it dampens your belief.

Cheers boys. I'm going to go with that on-line one Ant. Someone else has told me the same Pud, that they don't tend to make a right lot of difference to the end result.

Pud’s right. Matching your monitor output with printed output is as good as impossible. Doubly so if you have a TFT LCD panel. I would suggest finding some tonal charts and a colour wheel and experimenting until you can second guess how things will look when they have been printed off.

calibration tools