Addicks plan Reds ticket ban

themags

Charlton are to attempt to ban Manchester United fans from the Valley after claims a female member of staff was sexually assaulted and a steward was injured during Saturday's 3-1 defeat.

A male United fan was arrested and charged with sexual assault on Saturday afternoon, and spent the weekend in police custody - one of six away fans arrested.

The female member of staff had been helping disabled fans in the away end and was in the area to the rear of the stand when the assault is said to have occurred.

Charlton chief executive Peter Varney said: "I have never heard of anything like this at a football match before, and we would like to thank those Manchester United fans who witnessed it, and came forward to make statements to the police."

Three of the six arrested were fans who encroached on to the pitch after United's second goal, when scorer Ruud van Nistelrooy headed a group of United players towards the visiting fans to celebrate.

This led to a large number of United supporters surging forward, causing a metal gate to break and crushing a steward.

"I think, when we see the reports from the police and the local authority, it will leave us with little alternative but to refuse to sell tickets to Manchester United fans for future games at The Valley," Varney added.

"I'd rather have the away end empty than run the risk of further incidents like those we saw on Saturday."

Regardless of whether they ban Man Utd fans or not, it's pretty appalling that a lass has been sexually assaulted at a football match. I hope a) that it wasn't a "serious" assault (if you know what I mean) for the sake of the lass in question and :rolleyes: that the bloke gets whatever's coming to him.

So if any Charlton fans are aressted at any match they'll voluntarily ban their own will they?

I agree with Gemmill but I'd relegate Charlton for shit like this.

KCG - they've warned us before - who do you think they'll pick on next if Man U are banned?

Edited by NJS

So if any Charlton fans are aressted at any match they'll voluntarily ban their own will they?

I agree with Gemmill but I'd relegate Charlton for shit like this.

KCG - they've warned us before - who do you think they'll pick on next if Man U are banned?

58508[/snapback]

I would hope no one. Like I said it's Man U fans I dont care. When it's us I'll care. I understand this is a very narrow view and reminds me of the poem by that minister in Germany during WWII

When they came for the communisist I did not speak out

When They came for the Jews I did not speak out.

When they came for the Gypsies I did not speak out.

When they came for the crippled I did not speak out.

When they came for the Catholics I did not speak out.

Now they have come for me and there is no one left to speak out.

But then he was speaing about Genocide and this is just scum Mac fans not getting allowed back in the Valley.