It Was Like Eastenders

Christmas Tree

Why do you think Leeds imploded Leazes? Was it because they didn't spend enough?

If you want to win, it costs money. Ever heard of the phrase "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle".

Amazed at your dumbness. You sound just like some of the dicks on Newcastle Online

Again...so why didn't Leeds win? You sound like the bloke who spends his life savings at the bookies saying "If I don't put a bet on, how can I ever win?"

It's a nonsense argument. I've already said several times that you need to spend money but ONLY if that money is spent wisely and ONLY if you can afford the debt. We'd run out of credit and were going nowhere fast....or do you think we were on the verge of greatness before Ashley arrived. Seriously. I want you to answer the specific question.

Were we about to win something before Ashley came along?

do you bet on the lottery ? How come you don't win every week then ? Your questions are getting dafter by the second.

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :icon_lol:

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :D ],

world class footballers attracted to the club, 2 FA Cup Finals, and one of the highest turnovers in world football.

All on the back of bad appointments and wasting money. Not bad going eh.

I don't bet on the lottery. The odds of me losing a pound are loads loads loads loads loads loads higher than me winning a million quid (which btw is statistically more likely to wreck my life than improve it).

Now let's suppose for a second I DID play the lottery.

When do you think I should stop buying tickets and sort my life out?

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

Are you telling us all Leazes that in your opinion there is NEVER a time when you should stop spending money on a possible good outcome?

You should be official adviser to Alex Ferguson trotting out such wisdom, I don't think he would agree though.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as you want to believe it (like the attention and that) I am not following you around. I signed up here a long time ago (probably before you, I should have checked before I replied).

It is a much better place without your boring, predictable shite taking up every thread btw.

Anyway back to the discussion about the Halls, Shepherd and Mike Ashley.....

In your opinion, but that is because you were one of the tosspots who insisted every step of the way that I was wrong, and now you know that I was right. It is very amusing the amount of people on there who can't admit that they were wrong and continue making excuses for Ashley, especially one or two who insisted that replacing Fred with anybody at all would be so wonderful. :D

Any message board would be the worse for losing posters such as me, Stevie, because we can educate southerners like you that know nothing about the football club, only if you listen though. Lets face it we tried once and you didn't want to know :icon_lol:

Did you think we'd get promoted straight away Leazes, or is this crystal ball only right sometimes?

As much as you want to believe it (like the attention and that) I am not following you around. I signed up here a long time ago (probably before you, I should have checked before I replied).

It is a much better place without your boring, predictable shite taking up every thread btw.

Anyway back to the discussion about the Halls, Shepherd and Mike Ashley.....

In your opinion, but that is because you were one of the tosspots who insisted every step of the way that I was wrong, and now you know that I was right. It is very amusing the amount of people on there who can't admit that they were wrong and continue making excuses for Ashley, especially one or two who insisted that replacing Fred with anybody at all would be so wonderful. :icon_lol:

Any message board would be the worse for losing posters such as me, Stevie, because we can educate southerners like you that know nothing about the football club, only if you listen though. Lets face it we tried once and you didn't want to know :lol:

Did you think we'd get promoted straight away Leazes, or is this crystal ball only right sometimes?

nobody is right every time, not even me. Unfortunately, you appear to think NUFC are the only club in the world who should make a good appointment every time, and never make a bad signing. :D

Why do you think Leeds imploded Leazes? Was it because they didn't spend enough?

If you want to win, it costs money. Ever heard of the phrase "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle".

Amazed at your dumbness. You sound just like some of the dicks on Newcastle Online

Again...so why didn't Leeds win? You sound like the bloke who spends his life savings at the bookies saying "If I don't put a bet on, how can I ever win?"

It's a nonsense argument. I've already said several times that you need to spend money but ONLY if that money is spent wisely and ONLY if you can afford the debt. We'd run out of credit and were going nowhere fast....or do you think we were on the verge of greatness before Ashley arrived. Seriously. I want you to answer the specific question.

do you bet on the lottery ? How come you don't win every week then ? Your questions are getting dafter by the second.

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :icon_lol:

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :D ],

world class footballers attracted to the club, 2 FA Cup Finals, and one of the highest turnovers in world football.

I don't bet on the lottery. The odds of me losing a pound are loads loads loads loads loads loads higher than me winning a million quid (which btw is statistically more likely to wreck my life than improve it).

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

Are you telling us all Leazes that in your opinion there is NEVER a time when you should stop spending money on a possible good outcome?

You should be official adviser to Alex Ferguson trotting out such wisdoms as that, I don't think he would agree though.

Avoiding the question again Leazes? That's weird.

Alex Ferguson wouldn't have bought Boumsong to please Willy McKay.

Do you see the point yet?

You have to spend money in the right way. If you succeed you got it right, if you fail you got it wrong.

That's why it's difficult.

...but you can't say the guy who shot and missed got it right. Shepherd's job wasn't to back shit managers, his job was to hire the right people to get those decisions right. He didn't.

We have established a number of times now that I wasn't one of those who insisted you were wrong, only for you to say something along the lines of "well there were plenty on there who did". Why are we going through this again? Because it's all you have?

As you say, you could definitely educate most (not just the dirty southerners) and I said MANY times you could. That was one of my main disappointments in you as a poster, instead of actually using your vast knowledge of Newcastle you would only ever bang on about the one subject and it got very boring, especially as it took over every thread you chose to post in even if it wasn't remotely related to the topic being discussed you would find some way of starting it off again.

Anyway this is going off topic again and going into "personal jibes" as always.

As I was saying, it started to fall apart at a rapid rate when SBR was sacked and has done ever since. Ashley put the final nail in the coffin and we got relegated. Hopefully he sells up in the summer and we get an owner who a) has a clue :D wants what is best for the club and c) is prepared to invest without putting the entire clubs future in danger.

Although "expectations have been lowered" I am still very happy we have been promoted because if we hadn't I would have serious concerns about the future.

Good job Chris Hughton!

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :lol:

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :icon_lol: ],

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

You should be official adviser to Alex Ferguson trotting out such wisdoms as that, I don't think he would agree though.

You have to spend money in the right way. If you succeed you got it right, if you fail you got it wrong.

...but you can't say the guy who shot and missed got it right. Shepherd's job wasn't to back shit managers, his job was to hire the right people to get those decisions right. He didn't.

he bought Veron though :D And that Uruguay player [name escapes me] and others. Berbatov isn't setting the place alight either. But NUFC are the only club that make bad buys, in your deluded little world.

A FACT by the way, is that only 4 clubs [yes FOUR] qualified for europe more than we did under the Halls and Shepherd, that means only FOUR clubs generally speaking ran their clubs and spent money better over the course of 15 years.

Not too bad.

We have established a number of times now that I wasn't one of those who insisted you were wrong, only for you to say something along the lines of "well there were plenty on there who did". Why are we going through this again? Because it's all you have?

As you say, you could definitely educate most (not just the dirty southerners) and I said MANY times you could. That was one of my main disappointments in you as a poster, instead of actually using your vast knowledge of Newcastle you would only ever bang on about the one subject and it got very boring, especially as it took over every thread you chose to post in even if it wasn't remotely related to the topic being discussed you would find some way of starting it off again.

Anyway this is going off topic again and going into "personal jibes" as always.

As I was saying, it started to fall apart at a rapid rate when SBR was sacked and has done ever since. Ashley put the final nail in the coffin and we got relegated. Hopefully he sells up in the summer and we get an owner who a) has a clue :D wants what is best for the club and c) is prepared to invest without putting the entire clubs future in danger.

Although "expectations have been lowered" I am still very happy we have been promoted because if we hadn't I would have serious concerns about the future.

Good job Chris Hughton!

Putting across my point of view, which was correct, and I knew it was correct, to those who I knew were wrong. It isn't my fault they continued to post shite and disagreed with me.

The offer was there, to Dave, to post under a new name, as the persona I had would never have been able to be shaken off,and I would have had to not engage with certain idiotic posters otherwise it would have obviously been me. Unfortunately, they aren't adult enough to take it or even discuss it.

So. It is their loss.

Edited by LeazesMag

If you look back to when the club last went up, in 1993, some major mistakes were made from then until 2009

Hadaway and shite, maybe if he'd said something like "from 2004 to 2009" but to make out that it was a joke of a club during times, he as a player could only dream of is a bit rich.

Nolan is getting too big for his boots.

I would say "fair enough, you only argued your corner" if you weren't often the one bringing it up in the first place and in completely unrelated threads.

You even do it on here in general chat "well you said I was wrong about the previous board too" in a thread about immigration ffs! :D

Sorry but as much as you try to delude yourself and others, everyone else can see you aren't the poor victim defending your corner. Sometimes you are just responding to others comments but more often than not you will be the one bringing it up or taking the chance to debate the same old shit again from something that could slightly be related that that debate.

You will also claim others have said what they haven't (myself for example), time and time again just to help your argument.

Anyway.... this is fucking boring now and I can't believe I am having to type this again, I must learn to use that copy and paste function a bit more often, it would save me a lot of time. Maybe you could give me some tips :lol:

Have a fun night telling me and others what we have said and having the never ending argument again, I'm out! :icon_lol:

I would say "fair enough, you only argued your corner" if you weren't often the one bringing it up in the first place and in completely unrelated threads.

You even do it on here in general chat "well you said I was wrong about the previous board too" in a thread about immigration ffs! :D

Sorry but as much as you try to delude yourself and others, everyone else can see you aren't the poor victim defending your corner. Sometimes you are just responding to others comments but more often than not you will be the one bringing it up or taking the chance to debate the same old shit again from something that could slightly be related that that debate.

You will also claim others have said what they haven't (myself for example), time and time again just to help your argument.

Anyway.... this is fucking boring now and I can't believe I am having to type this again, I must learn to use that copy and paste function a bit more often, it would save me a lot of time. Maybe you could give me some tips :)

Have a fun night telling me and others what we have said and having the never ending argument again, I'm out! :icon_lol:

out where ?

Don't tell me you're actually going out :lol:

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :lol:

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :icon_lol: ],

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

he bought Veron though :D And that Uruguay player [name escapes me] and others. Berbatov isn't setting the place alight either. But NUFC are the only club that make bad buys, in your deluded little world.

A FACT by the way, is that only 4 clubs [yes FOUR] qualified for europe more than we did under the Halls and Shepherd, that means only FOUR clubs generally speaking ran their clubs and spent money better over the course of 15 years.

Not too bad.

Diego Forlan is the Uruguay player, not great for Man Utd but doing well at Athletico.

In regard to evaluating the running of a club, should this not be measured relatively speaking? For example, only 4 more teams may have qualified for Europe than we did under Hall and Shepherd, yet clubs with little or no European hopes (even over this 15 year peroid) may have been run "better" than us as they possibly progressed more in regard to stature, position or silverware.

Basically, should we not measure how "well" a club is run contextually? for instance, paying attention to the resources at their disposal and what they can and have achieved with them?

Edited by NUFC_Mag

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

Not too bad.

Diego Forlan is the Uruguay player, not great for Man Utd but doing well at Athletico.

In regard to evaluating the running of a club, should this not be measured relatively speaking? For example, only 4 more teams may have qualified for Europe than we did under Hall and Shepherd, yet clubs with little or no European hopes (even over this 15 year peroid) may have been run "better" than us as they possibly progressed more in regard to stature, position or silverware.

Basically, should we not measure how "well" a club is run contextually? for instance, paying attention to the resources at their disposal and what they can and have achieved with them?

do you have any idea the state the club was in when they found it in 1992 ?

Do you think Everton had a better 15 years than we did because they won the FA Cup in 1995 ? Or do you think Joe Royle is a better manager than Keegan because he won a trophy and KK didn't ie with Everton in 1995? Is this your point ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :)

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :lol: ],

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

Not too bad.

Your yardstick of success seems a bit weird Leazes. How do you explain all the other teams who spent less than us but still won trophies?

As for Alex Ferguson....he also bought Cantona and Schmeichel and won fucking loads of trophies. :icon_lol:

I'd forgive the Luques and the Boumsongs if we'd have won something. Or is winning something just an irrelevance to you?

You can say we qualified for Europe over and over again as much as you like. It's your "fall back" argument I think you just cut and paste it from your little book of Leazisms.

I remember us being shit for most of my 38 years on this planet. The fact that Sir John Hall/Kevin Keegan and later Freddie Shepherd/Bobby Robson gave us some good years isn't lost on me. That doesn't mean that Shepherd is above criticism though for not capitalising on that success. As I asked you earlier, where is your evidence that we were going in the right direction?

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

Not too bad.

do you have any idea the state the club was in when they found it in 1992 ?

Do you think Everton had a better 15 years than we did because they won the FA Cup in 1995 ? Or do you think Joe Royle is a better manager than Keegan because he won a trophy and KK didn't ie with Everton in 1995? Is this your point ?

No...I am not name-dropping. I am merely suggesting that your benchmark of achieving European success as an indicator of a clubs spending credibility is potentially misleading and ignorant of the context of the clubs and how they interpret "success."

I also think you have to consider the long-term effects of this spending as well. Rangers may have bought much of the SPL titles in the 90's but this was not sustainable and now they are up shit creek financially. The legacy of transfer dealings should be considered as well as any success or failures they bring in the short run.

Edited by NUFC_Mag

The Hall/Shepherd business model only came off the rails when Souness wasted £50m. Before that it had helped NUFC make huge strides forward on the pitch and delivered a new stadium without running up unmanageable debts. The play it safe model is equally vulnerable to one manager fucking it all up, or one owner as last season proved. The difference is one of ambition and given the choice I’d rather see the club go for it. Only we can’t because the cost of relegation has set us back years and it’ll take a long period of spending next to nowt before we recover. Thanks Mike.

Oliver Kay --- The Times

Billy Davies is living in cloud-cuckoo-land

If, as seems almost certain, Newcastle United secure promotion at home to Sheffield United this evening, the conventional wisdom states that the real hard work starts here.

Billy Davies, the Nottingham Forest manager, suggested as much last week when he said that, to survive in the Barclays Premier League, Newcastle would need to spend £40 million on new players this summer and perhaps another £20 million to freshen things up when the transfer window reopens in January.

Davies is living in cloud-cuckoo-land — a thought that has no doubt crossed the minds of the Forest board members as they prepare for the eventuality that their club also gain promotion. He is talking from his own grim experience after Derby County were promoted in 2007 — and, after minimal investment in the squad, were swiftly relegated with a cringe-worthy total of 11 points — but, in Steve Harper, José Enrique, Kevin Nolan, Danny Guthrie, Jonás Gutiérrez and others, perhaps including Andy Carroll, Newcastle have the nucleus of a Premier League team to build around.

There is indeed hard work ahead on Tyneside, but the pleasing thing is that, under the quiet stewardship of Chris Hughton, there appears to be an appetite for it. And hard work, in this case, will involve spending time trying to identify the right kind of players — rather than the kind of scattergun approach that has served Newcastle so calamitously in recent years, whether it is in signing questionable characters, fading stars who are past their best or obscure overseas imports, seen only on YouTube, to do "a favour" to an agent.

If Newcastle are to get it right, it will be by investing sensibly, not by attempting to recreate the spirit of their more extravagant recent past. There are some decent Premier League players to be picked up from Hull City, whether they stay up or not, and perhaps West Ham United, too. All will depend on Newcastle’s needs, but the success of Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers this season and Stoke City last campaign has shown that clubs can thrive by adding prudently to promotion-winning teams.

All have spent money, but never in the interests of making the kind of "statement" signing often favoured by Newcastle in the past.

With West Bromwich Albion looking nailed on for the second automatic promotion place, it takes us back to the City Ground. If Davies believes Newcastle need to spend £60 million to survive, what must he feel about Forest’s requirements if they get through the play-offs? Forest have spent long enough outside the Premier League to want to maximise their chances of getting and staying there. But, in these straitened times, wild spending looks like a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Christmas Tree

See I don't think we need an investment of £60m (but please Derek, suggest it to your mate Mike), but I don't think it's as rosey as some people are making out.

He mentions 6 players and, if we assume he's right, that's fine and dandy. 6 players are a nucleus. However, he lists three midfielders, a left back and the 'keeper.

What a promoted side needs, imo, is a strong CB partnership, a very good 'keeper and a match winner. You can, imo, make do with hard working average players, but without those I've mentioned you won't stay up. And let's get this straight. Staying up is essential!

We have to keep Enrique, Colocinni, Guthrie,

I'd like to keep Taylor, Simpson, Williamson, Kadar (for the familiar back fours)

I'd like to keep Carroll and Routledge because I think they deserve an opportunity to prove themselves in the top flight

I'd sell Ameobi (he's 30 and shouldn't be a starter),

I'd sell Barton (He's just more bother than he's worth),

I'd lose Smith and Butt because their wages are a joke.

I'd not mind selling Lovenkrands, Jonas, Best. As long as they were replaced or improved on.

We have been promoted* on the base of a very strong defence; we've only conceded 30 goals and only 9 at home, and I am wary of shaking that up, even in the face of much stiffer challenges. I think the Midfield of Guthrie, Nolan and Routledge is an all right place to start from. I think the strikers are a gamble.

So, say two midfielders to slot into the 1st team, two or three strikers to slot straight in as starters and one or two squad players to fatten it out a bit.

Six players should do it, but 6 players whose value** totals £30m

*touch wood

** actual value, not neccesarily what we pay for them.

See I don't think we need an investment of £60m (but please Derek, suggest it to your mate Mike), but I don't think it's as rosey as some people are making out.

He mentions 6 players and, if we assume he's right, that's fine and dandy. 6 players are a nucleus. However, he lists three midfielders, a left back and the 'keeper.

What a promoted side needs, imo, is a strong CB partnership, a very good 'keeper and a match winner. You can, imo, make do with hard working average players, but without those I've mentioned you won't stay up. And let's get this straight. Staying up is essential!

We have to keep Enrique, Colocinni, Guthrie,

I'd like to keep Taylor, Simpson, Williamson, Kadar (for the familiar back fours)

I'd like to keep Carroll and Routledge because I think they deserve an opportunity to prove themselves in the top flight

I'd sell Ameobi (he's 30 and shouldn't be a starter),

I'd sell Barton (He's just more bother than he's worth),

I'd lose Smith and Butt because their wages are a joke.

I'd not mind selling Lovenkrands, Jonas, Best. As long as they were replaced or improved on.

We have been promoted* on the base of a very strong defence; we've only conceded 30 goals and only 9 at home, and I am wary of shaking that up, even in the face of much stiffer challenges. I think the Midfield of Guthrie, Nolan and Routledge is an all right place to start from. I think the strikers are a gamble.

So, say two midfielders to slot into the 1st team, two or three strikers to slot straight in as starters and one or two squad players to fatten it out a bit.

Six players should do it, but 6 players whose value** totals £30m

*touch wood

** actual value, not neccesarily what we pay for them.

Agree with a good chunk of that however I would hang on to Barton. Also not convinced that Guthrie has the bottle for the prem, but needs a chance.

Lovenkrands, would be a decent squad player.

So it then depends what money can be made from

Ameobi

Smith

Butt

Jonas

Best

And then take that figure away from 30 mill to see the minimum needed from MA

However most (not me) will disagree with your sale of Jonas

2.5m for Ameobi

1m (maybe if we're lucky and they're desperate) for Smith

0 for Butt

3.5 - 4 for Jonas

as good as fuck all for Best

all in all (maybe selling kids) call it £8m... do you really see MA giving £22m keep us safe, when he wouldn't give £20m to keep us up and we had a better squad?

Even if you can't see his direct value to the side I'd not sell Jonas. He forms part of the Spanish speaking connection along with Coloccini and our strongest player Enrique. Selling him could very well upset that balance, not something we want to do recklessly after building it over the last season.

Otherwise the other movements are all acceptable if superior players are bought. That's the one thing we're all having problems beleiving with the current owner. Forgetting the mistakes that ultimately lead to our premier league demise largely the right moves have been made in terms of the player market. The off-season will be the real test, one that will ultimately signal the intentions of he owner. If he hasn't learnt a lesson from his lack of investment in the past then he's clearly got no hope.

Even if you can't see his direct value to the side I'd not sell Jonas. He forms part of the Spanish speaking connection along with Coloccini and our strongest player Enrique. Selling him could very well upset that balance, not something we want to do recklessly after building it over the last season.

Otherwise the other movements are all acceptable if superior players are bought. That's the one thing we're all having problems beleiving with the current owner. Forgetting the mistakes that ultimately lead to our premier league demise largely the right moves have been made in terms of the player market. The off-season will be the real test, one that will ultimately signal the intentions of he owner. If he hasn't learnt a lesson from his lack of investment in the past then he's clearly got no hope.

That's a good point and he does seem popular throughout the squad. I think the way to play it is, if he has a good WC and someone comes in for him we shouldn't stand in his way.

Rip a few from Portsmouth if possible

O'Hara (though his price will be inflated)

Maybe Yebda?

dunno