Leeds United

Guest Barrack Road

Warnock saying in the Independent he's now working for the "fourth- or fifth-biggest club in the country."

:blush2:

We're definitely a bigger club than Man City, I'll give him that. :icon_lol:

Man City and Leeds are about the same size in real terms.

Warnock has a great record of getting teams promoted plus he has the right attitude to whip our spineless lot into shape, something Mr. Nice Guy Grayson couldn't do. Pleased with the appointment.

To be honest I'm just waiting for this season to be over with then to see who Warnock brings in during the summer transfer window. I'm confident, given we sign the right players, that we'll go up next season.

I think what your support needs to do is get your gates within say 10,000 of what ours were in the CCC (44,000) then perhaps Ken would invest more in the team. You can't expect Bates to spend millions on gates of 19-21,000 mate, and that's why I take issue with anyone who says Leeds are a big club. They're not and never were, because you don't have the local support of a Man Utd, Newcastle or even Sunderland.

Bates has the money, he just gives nothing to the manager, instead ploughing it into a "new look" East Stand. So some of our fans feel that there's no point lining his pockets if he doesn't even use the money to build a team.

When (or if) we go back up our attendances will skyrocket. We're the 3rd biggest city in England with one football club. I understand that your attendances were outstanding in your season in the Championship but would they have dwindled if you'd spent as long away from the Premiership as we have, or if you weren't nailed on to win automatic promotion? Not questioning how great Newcastle's support is because I'd actually argue it's the best in the country, but the fact is, every football club has part time fans who are only interested in "their team" when the times are good. It's no co-incidence that when we got promoted the other year against Bristol Rovers there were more people at Elland Road than usual, and people on my Facebook who I didn't even know were into football were acting like it was the best day of their lives.

We were always going to come back up, but I'd say our hardcore is probably now 35,000 we wouldn't have went below that even after a few seasons and imo only Man Utd can better than that in terms of a hardcore.

Having said all of that, it's always a good atmosphere against Leeds, for some reason regardless what division we're in or what we're doing Leeds always get one of their biggest three crowds of any season against us, and vice versa. Leeds v Newcastle is a proper game, rather than say Birmingham v Wolves etc...

Warnock saying in the Independent he's now working for the "fourth- or fifth-biggest club in the country."

Man City and Leeds are about the same size in real terms.

Both clubs who have had their share of the good times and the bad, but I'd say historically we're slightly bigger. Within the next few years though City are really going to make a name for themselves. Before the next rich man's plaything comes along and usurps them, that is.

We were always going to come back up, but I'd say our hardcore is probably now 35,000 we wouldn't have went below that even after a few seasons and imo only Man Utd can better than that in terms of a hardcore.

Having said all of that, it's always a good atmosphere against Leeds, for some reason regardless what division we're in or what we're doing Leeds always get one of their biggest three crowds of any season against us, and vice versa. Leeds v Newcastle is a proper game, rather than say Birmingham v Wolves etc...

Like I say I've always been impressed by Newcastle's support, way better than the overrated Liverpool who the press always talk up.

There's a lot of comparisons to be drawn between Leeds and Newcastle. I miss the days when we were both competing for Champions League football. Hope I live to see that again!

Like I say I've always been impressed by Newcastle's support, way better than the overrated Liverpool who the press always talk up.

There's a lot of comparisons to be drawn between Leeds and Newcastle. I miss the days when we were both competing for Champions League football. Hope I live to see that again!

I miss the days when we were top 3 in Division 2 with you and Sheff Utd, beating you 5-2 opening day, we didn't have as many clueless fuckwit old doilums supporting us and new age fanboys in those days.

worst thing about Leeds, is you were nothing before Don Revie, you had never done anything, or been anybody. That was a great era, but you now consider yourselves to be bigger than you are on account of it.

You are in the 2nd batch of "big clubs" alongside the likes of Villa, Wolves, West Ham etc etc and thats it.

I hate Ken Bates though, cockney wanker, and Warnock is a pretty good manager who should have managed a big team earlier in his career after Scarborough and Notts County.

He might have a few probs with Bates too.

worst thing about Leeds, is you were nothing before Don Revie, you had never done anything, or been anybody. That was a great era, but you now consider yourselves to be bigger than you are on account of it.

You are in the 2nd batch of "big clubs" alongside the likes of Villa, Wolves, West Ham etc etc and thats it.

I hate Ken Bates though, cockney wanker, and Warnock is a pretty good manager who should have managed a big team earlier in his career after Scarborough and Notts County.

Our greatest period was indeed the Revie era which was 40 years ago or so, but what makes Newcastle that much bigger of a club than Leeds? Neither of us have won a trophy in ages, we've both been relegated from the Premier League, the closest both of us have really had to glory since the Premier League's inception was playing in the Champions League, both play home matches in a one club city. You could say that you had a higher attendance than us in the Championship, which is of course true, but like I mentioned earlier you were only away from the Premier League for one season, during which you were certain to get automatic promotion whereas we kept sinking and sinking. If you were in a similar position to us your attendances might have dwindled as well.

We're both big clubs. Maybe not currently successful but we are both sleeping giants, and I'd love to see both clubs back in Europe.

You're not alone in hating Ken Bates though. Trust me, we can't stand that senile old Chelsea cunt.

Our greatest period was indeed the Revie era which was 40 years ago or so, but what makes Newcastle that much bigger of a club than Leeds? Neither of us have won a trophy in ages, we've both been relegated from the Premier League, the closest both of us have really had to glory since the Premier League's inception was playing in the Champions League, both play home matches in a one club city. You could say that you had a higher attendance than us in the Championship, which is of course true, but like I mentioned earlier you were only away from the Premier League for one season, during which you were certain to get automatic promotion whereas we kept sinking and sinking. If you were in a similar position to us your attendances might have dwindled as well.

We're both big clubs. Maybe not currently successful but we are both sleeping giants, and I'd love to see both clubs back in Europe.

You're not alone in hating Ken Bates though. Trust me, we can't stand that senile old Chelsea cunt.

we are the opposite of Leeds in a way, or our fortunes have gone opposite ways. Newcastle were always one of the biggest clubs in the country and regularly won trophies before the 1960's. The longest we had ever gone was 1932 until 1951 without winning either the League or FA cup. We have now gone all that time since without winning a domestic trophy. Leeds on the other hand, were nothing until Don Revie, and had one great era. My point is that because yours is the more recent history, and you did have a great team [yes great, really great and were cheated in the European Cup Final in 1975] you are etched in minds more than us.

Only because we have had such a dismal time ourselves though, or this would not be the case.

I may be biased, but we are one of the biggest clubs in the country, no club in the world would get 50,000 crowds and not won a domestic trophy for half a century, while you struggle to fill a 44,000 stadium even when you are winning. Don't get me wrong, I;m not having a go, just stating a perspective.

I had a good chat about my boss today who is a ST holder at Bellend Rd and has been for 22 years.

He said "People say were a big club, yet Ive watched more of Leeds out of the top flight than I have in the top flight" :lol:

That's a cheek that, the bit in bold. In every aspect we absolutely piss it, the size of a club purely for me is defined by its true fanbase, we absolutely piss it, to deny that is deluded. I can't even imagine Newcastle getting league gates of 18 and 19,000 these days. Despite the myths we rarely did before football was cool and funky never mind now. More league titles, more FA Cups, older, more famous nationally, a bigger name, bigger history, older by 30 years. Outside of the big 6 even in modern football there's no doubt who the biggest club is outside the big 3 clubs, the two artifically supported clubs and Tottenham. Everton, Villa and Leeds wouldn't get 50000 if they were competing for the title and had room, we were getting it some weeks in the Championship, that's why I think it's a cheek that anyone can draw a comparison between Newcastle - Leeds/Villa/Everton/West Ham etc.. it's a cheek and a joke and that's despite of Mike Ashley too, and deep down you all know the truth. None of you could dream of our fanbase, we are a freak club in European football, comparing success with fanbase, there's not an adequate comparison anywhere, and I challenge you to prove that statement is deluded.

That's a cheek that, the bit in bold. In every aspect we absolutely piss it, the size of a club purely for me is defined by its true fanbase, we absolutely piss it, to deny that is deluded. I can't even imagine Newcastle getting league gates of 18 and 19,000 these days. Despite the myths we rarely did before football was cool and funky never mind now. More league titles, more FA Cups, older, more famous nationally, a bigger name, bigger history, older by 30 years. Outside of the big 6 even in modern football there's no doubt who the biggest club is outside the big 3 clubs, the two artifically supported clubs and Tottenham. Everton, Villa and Leeds wouldn't get 50000 if they were competing for the title and had room, we were getting it some weeks in the Championship, that's why I think it's a cheek that anyone can draw a comparison between Newcastle - Leeds/Villa/Everton/West Ham etc.. it's a cheek and a joke and that's despite of Mike Ashley too, and deep down you all know the truth. None of you could dream of our fanbase, we are a freak club in European football, comparing success with fanbase, there's not an adequate comparison anywhere, and I challenge you to prove that statement is deluded.

If you cared to read the thread, he breached the subject of club size not me.

None of you could dream of our fanbase, we are a freak club in European football, comparing success with fanbase, there's not an adequate comparison anywhere, and I challenge you to prove that statement is deluded.

Schalke maybe? I know they won the Waffa in '97, but in every other respect they're basically us.

Schalke maybe? I know they won the Waffa in '97, but in every other respect they're basically us.

They've won 3 FA Cups in the last 10 years too, up to 1997 you could draw a comparison with them I agree though.

They've won 3 FA Cups in the last 10 years too, up to 1997 you could draw a comparison with them I agree though.

You'll be well aware that the DFB-Pokal doesn't have one-hundredth of the history and prestige of the FA Cup (even in its current diluted form) though. But aye, if we're going by pure silverware I suppose it has to count.

You'll be well aware that the DFB-Pokal doesn't have one-hundredth of the history and prestige of the FA Cup (even in its current diluted form) though. But aye, if we're going by pure silverware I suppose it has to count.

Thery like to throw a title away too I suppose.

Fucking hell man, can somebody from another club not post on here without being subjected to the my club's bigger than your club crap. Who gives a fuck.

banter.

Go on Gem, crack a daft gag that has nowt to do with football. Or hijack a thread which is a serious attempt to review a book.

None of you could dream of our fanbase, we are a freak club in European football, comparing success with fanbase, there's not an adequate comparison anywhere, and I challenge you to prove that statement is deluded.

Comparing lack of success in terms of trophies with fanbase, I struggle to think of a club in world sport let alone just world football that is as well supported as Newcastle. (Maybe someone like the Chicago White Sox but I don't know what sort of crowds they get). Its a much overused word these days but our support is unbelievably good and I don't think any other club in Britain, including Man U, would get the same level of support as us if they had a similar lack of success over such a long period

If you cared to read the thread, he breached the subject of club size not me.

precisely. Gem was either pissed last night, or up too early this morning. Probably both.

Comparing lack of success in terms of trophies with fanbase, I struggle to think of a club in world sport let alone just world football that is as well supported as Newcastle. (Maybe someone like the Chicago White Sox but I don't know what sort of crowds they get). Its a much overused word these days but our support is unbelievably good and I don't think any other club in Britain, including Man U, would get the same level of support as us if they had a similar lack of success over such a long period

As I said earlier, I don't think any other football club in the world would get 50,000 crowds having not won a domestic trophy in over 50 years.

Not denying there are a few other clubs with magnificent support as has been mentioned, but we are unique, and this is part of the problem. Our lack of success is such that too many people outside the area with no affiliation to NUFC just don't realise how big the club is.

Give NUFC half the success of a club like Liverpool over the past 40 years, and NUFC would dwarf most clubs on local support alone, the Keegan years proved that.

Clubs like Spurs and Aston Villa are pygmies in comparison to the potential of NUFC.

Edit

for the record, the VidukaisStillGod seems a canny lad, personally anyone who can talk some sense and logic is fine by me whoever they support.

Edited by LeazesMag

precisely. Gem was either pissed last night, or up too early this morning. Probably both.

He's on the wagon according to latest reports.

he doesn't seem to be getting much sleep either, sitting in front of his PC all night like he does.