Leeds United

Guest Barrack Road

Got family who support Leeds so I know a lot about the club, been to Elland Road for loads of games which haven't involved Newcastle.

Now I don't want to get in to a big club debate. Newcastle don't have the recent history to call themselves a big club, but in my opinion only three or four clubs do. What I will remember about Leeds this season is this comment from Allan Clarke.

He said: "Jermaine is doing a great job for Leeds, the fans love him, and he is already with the biggest club he'll ever play for.

"Let's face it, Leeds are far bigger than Newcastle, so Jermaine should stay at Elland Road and become a real hero there."

It really is like comparing The Titanic to the Shields Ferry, the arrogant deluded bastard. They are a shit club in a city which isn't even football orientated, and listening to the crack last week, something along the lines of Leeds were 15 points above Norwich five months ago, and now there's been a 13 point swing. I don't want to laugh at a teams misfortune, but they've lost too much momentum to think they'll go up in the play offs, and I love it. I hope they stay in that league forever, a league smaller club Newcastle has never been in in its' 118 year history I may add. The biggest cheer in the pub yesterday aopart from our goals going in was when Leeds 0 Swindon 3 came up, which tells you everything. Shit club, shit fans. Pipe down and stay down. The funny thing is Bates was a great chairman in January, and Grayson was the next Mourinho, now Bates is the anti-christ and Grayson should resign gracefully.

I agree with alot of what your saying...but Leeds fans are shit fans? I think not. They may have a merited bad reputation but make alot of noise and 25,0000 average attendance in League 2 is still credible. We may get 40,000+ for one season in the Championship, but if we went down their road we wouldnt be attracting the same numbers they do.

They may be dicks but they are certainly loud

Yes we're getting 43,000 in our first season in this division. FORTY THREE THOUSAND. Which is four thousand more than their highest EVER league gate, in any division. Their first season down they averaged 29,000 then 22,000, 20,000, 26,000 and 23,000. In the last 5 seasons they've had less than ten league gates over 30,000, LESS THAN TEN IN FIVE YEARS. Yet you're saying we wouldn't get 25,000 in their position????? Their average gates in the 80's were hideous far far worse than ours ever were, so I'll ask you what is that based on? That we wouldn't get what they do. Just try and explain it. The lack of wums on here recently has been refreshing, and if you're not a WUM, you're a tool. Try and explain what your assertion is based on. Sunderland have much much better fans than Leeds. They couldnt even fill their ground in the top flight for fuck sake.

Is there no desire upon the forum to create another singing section with banners etc?

The lack of noise is tragic at times and some clubs have had a high degree of success with it. (Youtube -Celtics "Green Brigade" who are particulary outstanding)

:D Sometimes you can just sense things.

I appreciate your statistics and I agree that my assertion was incorrect. In fairness, we are enjoying a successful Championship campaign where we are unbeaten at home. I dont think we have been tested to the extent Leeds have as their downfall was so dramatic; failing to regain promotion, suffering financial meltdown and then dropping another league. It is a trauma worse than our own and at the end of it, 25,000 is impressive especially when you consider how loud they are. Nonetheless I may have been hasty in suggesting we would not attain that in the same circumstances.

As for the Green Brigade, I take it you've never seen them before? their political views and expressions of them are undefendable, yet their support, noise levels and displays are indeed fantastic and should be appreciated. Please do a youtube/google search to see my point.

They're not loud. The Celtic fans do nothing but moan about how poor their support is other than Old Firm and European games and this season even they've been shite as the club is depressed for now, any isolated youtube proves fuck all. You could probably find one of Fulham fans which is impressive. You could put a youtube up of the Middlesbrough game last season, or even the Cardiff game this season and you'd be hard pressed to find more noise anywhere. Leeds' 24,000 average doesn't impress me it's not even the biggest in the division, and this with arguably the best squad, and a feel good factor on the back of dumping Man Utd out the cup. Especially given the fact they won every single week virtually and as soon as they stopped winning they're back down to the 18 and 19,000 midweek gates when their support really needs them.

I don't think those youtube videos are exactly isolated, in fact, there are alot of impressive ones. Nonetheless, my opinion is consequent of experience, I have visited Celtic Park and witnessed it myself. Yes, it is true that many Celtic fans complain their atmosphere is poor outside of Europe and the Old Firm, yet I am referring to an Ultras group within their support as opposed to their support as a whole. And again, from experience (I know alot of Celtic fans) there is a great appreciation of the noise and displays, if not the politics of the Green Brigade.

As for Leeds...I think your distaste for them blinds your judegment of them. League 2 is piss poor and 25,000 average attendance at that level is in my opinion impressive. I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one though.

To be honest if you want loud support in Scotland you wouldn't go to a Celtic or Rangers game to find it.

The shit clubs with small crowds have far better atmospheres as most of the fans are passive aggressive alcoholic lunatics by their early twenties.

Guest Barrack Road
To be honest if you want loud support in Scotland you wouldn't go to a Celtic or Rangers game to find it.

The shit clubs with small crowds have far better atmospheres as most of the fans are passive aggressive alcoholic lunatics by their early twenties.

When Tynecastle is rocking its the most atmospheric ground in Scotland. Nice little size as well steep stands help.

Getting off topic now anyway.

Leeds United couldn't even fill their small stadium when they were playing in the Champions League. Note the mackems as well as us.

http://www.emfootball.co.uk/attend2001.htm

Celtic, also, during the period when they finished 4th during the 90's, in the SPL, regularly got crowds under 20,000

Big c.ub ? Gloryseekers and bigots is all they are.

On the flip side, they get safely over 50,000 most weeks against the likes of Hamilton, St Mirren, Dundee and Aberdeen, and although Glasgow is a large city,they dont have it to themselves due to the existence of Rangers. There is the irish audience however.

As for being Gloryseekers, the label seems a bit harsh. The SPL isn't the most prestigous of titles due to its poor quality and is seen by many as a boring 2-horse race devoid of "glamour" matches, they certainly wont be challenging at the final stages of Europe each season either.

I do confess that they are fickle however, their actions this season supports this.

Either way, I was addressing the group of the Green Brigade as oppossed to their entire support.

About 80% of Scotland supports one of the old firm man and a lot of Ireland.

My mate from Derry supports Rangers for fucks sake. :D

Yes, I acknowledged the Irish audience.

I think Rangers seem to get the majority of the Scottish audience outside of Glasgow simply due to each clubs affiliations. This seems to be the case from what I have witnessed although I admit this isnt exactly gospel.

Still very high attendances considering the opposition mind.

I find these 'which club is bigger' debates tedious in the extreme, but I will add this, after nearly 7 years of living in Leeds I'm well fed up with the place. A dull, grey metropolis with little in the way of culture. Unfortunately I'm here for another 2 years at least.

Oh how I laughed when I saw they were 3-0 down at the weekend. Lets hope Orient dump more misery on them today.

Loads of Leeds supporters I know were saying "well see you next season" when we go relegated last year, haha, who is laughing now? Cocks.

Guest Barrack Road
Oh HOW I would cry if they were stuck in Div 3 for another season............ <_<:aye::icon_lol::aye::lol: :lol: :lol:

It could be longer than that. I think Leeds is a nicer place than Luke's making out though, but he's more qualified to make a judgement to be fair, but when my mate was at uni there in Headingley I loved going there, might be cos we always fuckin won as well.

I found in Leeds City Centre the lads and lasses all have a Bigg Market dwelling attitude even in the nice places without sounding snobby.

Getting back to the football in Leeds though, when you wander round the city centre through the day I saw as many Man Utd and Liverpool shirts as Leeds, and even some NUFC kicking about. The City of Leeds gets behind their football club 1% of what the City of Newcastle upon Tyne gets behind ours. If we ever win a trophy Newcastle will be the most magical place of earth for 24 hours.

I wonder what will happen next for Beckford though, I think he's scored two or three since January, I think Leeds' implosion this year has been even more catastrophic than ours in 1996. They were 13 points clear, best team by a mile, beat the champions, drew at WHL. It's unbelievable. Their record since they beat Man Utd in all competitions P20 W4 D7 L9. Unbelievable and what a shame :icon_lol:

I remember when they were flying high. It might have been the season / summer directly after they'd qualified for the CL semis. Anyway, some national rag was commenting on how we were struggling to sell STs - we'd 'only' sold 30-odd thousand at that point. Meanwhile a few days previous to that the same paper was banging on about how Leeds had broke all ST records and they'd sold about 25k. As well as the negative spin put on our figures and the positive one put on the Leeds story, it showed a marked difference in the fanbase. Btw, them and Ken Bates deserve each other.

Oh HOW I would cry if they were stuck in Div 3 for another season............ <_<:aye::icon_lol::aye::lol: :lol: :lol:

It could be longer than that. I think Leeds is a nicer place than Luke's making out though, but he's more qualified to make a judgement to be fair, but when my mate was at uni there in Headingley I loved going there, might be cos we always fuckin won as well.

I found in Leeds City Centre the lads and lasses all have a Bigg Market dwelling attitude even in the nice places without sounding snobby.

It's alright, and a good place to be a student, but after 7 years I'm just a bit bored of it. Especially as I visit London and Newcastle on a fairly regular basis. I applied to both for my next round of jobs, but got no answer from London and had to respond to the Yorkshire offer before I had my interview for the North (the Northern Deanery encompasses everywhere up to fucking Carlisle) at St James' Park (no less!) so I'm stuck here for a bit longer unfortunately.

I find these 'which club is bigger' debates tedious in the extreme, but I will add this, after nearly 7 years of living in Leeds I'm well fed up with the place. A dull, grey metropolis with little in the way of culture. Unfortunately I'm here for another 2 years at least.

should have wiped the prints and torched the car <_<

Anyone got a pic or clip of that fat Leeds kid blubbing when they got relegated?

leedsfan.jpg

Thanks. It's a different image to the one I had. This one always sticks in my head:

All pictures are indeed welcome.

Leeds screwed up English football for a generation with their cheating, thuggish tactics

and what was worse was they never needed to do it - they were good enough to play brilliant football without kicking people to death ... but they didn't

That Leeds team did play brilliant football. They were also as hard as any team around but every one of them was a very good player.

When you look at other teams in that era, its difficult to single out Leeds players when you think of the likes of McGrath and McNamee, Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris, Maurice Setters, Storey,Simpson and Mclintoch...three fucking thugs at arsenal...Dave Mackay, Pat Crerand, Charlie Hurley to name but a few. Leeds players were just as hard or dirty however you look at it but also a hell of a team. I'd say all those players'd have a good laugh at the puffs playing the game these days.

Thing is, they'd probably have won more if they weren't so hated. Nobody ever lay down for them. Good, because I fucking hate them.

Edited by alex

That Leeds team did play brilliant football. They were also as hard as any team around but every one of them was a very good player.

When you look at other teams in that era, its difficult to single out Leeds players when you think of the likes of McGrath and McNamee, Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris, Maurice Setters, Storey,Simpson and Mclintoch...three fucking thugs at arsenal...Dave Mackay, Pat Crerand, Charlie Hurley to name but a few. Leeds players were just as hard or dirty however you look at it but also a hell of a team. I'd say all those players'd have a good laugh at the puffs playing the game these days.

I saw them play the most sublime half of football I've ever seen in a Yuorpean game at Elland Road - but they were all professional thugs. the hard men you name were pretty much mainly that - the hard men in a team which would have skilfull and decent players as well

Revie turned everyone of his players into a sneaking, cheating, fouling monster

Thing is, they'd probably have won more if they weren't so hated. Nobody ever lay down for them. Good, because I fucking hate them.

Same here, they deserved the name "Dirty Leeds" and deserved to miss out on the number of trophies they shouldhave won because they were an awful, dirty bunch of bastards with a complete cunt for a manager. They could play great football so there was no need for the entire team to be the way they were which meant any admiritation you had for their football went out the indow because they were such a disgrace. Cloughy had them right and of course made a point of tellimg them all when he took over as boss, which they didn't like! :lol:

Other teams would have their hard man/hard men (or thugs, depending on your view) and their footballers, Revie and Leeds decided to have a team full of pricks and deserve any stick they get.

Same here, they deserved the name "Dirty Leeds" and deserved to miss out on the number of trophies they shouldhave won because they were an awful, dirty bunch of bastards with a complete cunt for a manager. They could play great football so there was no need for the entire team to be the way they were which meant any admiritation you had for their football went out the indow because they were such a disgrace. Cloughy had them right and of course made a point of tellimg them all when he took over as boss, which they didn't like! :lol:

Other teams would have their hard man/hard men (or thugs, depending on your view) and their footballers, Revie and Leeds decided to have a team full of pricks and deserve any stick they get.

Put it this way, Clough got football 'right', Revie got it wrong imo.