• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's right, you tell them all Sammy boy,

it's the carpenters or nothing

am I right or am I right on?

58827[/snapback]

Right now it Slain by Yatsura fish face.

Anyway don't you go knocking Karen you heartless bastid, just because you love Neil!*

*(Diamond) :rolleyes:

Hopefully they'll get stuck there and the rest of us won't have to endure them any more. :blink:

58849[/snapback]

;):rolleyes::icon_lol:

58859[/snapback]

I quite like U2's old stuff. Bono is an utter wanker though.

Hopefully they'll get stuck there and the rest of us won't have to endure them any more. :icon_lol:

58849[/snapback]

;):rolleyes::yes

58859[/snapback]

58862[/snapback]

I adore him, and he can actually sing all of his songs brilliantly live too!!!!!! :blink::)

I like their old stuff, they went through an odd stage, but their latest album has definitely gone back to their more original sound.

Edited by Toonraider

Music aside, Bono is a bit of a bell-end.

58885[/snapback]

I saw him interviewed on T4 a while ago, he said "How embarassing will it be if we're still the greatest band in the world in 5 years time?" 'Nuff said.

Hopefully they'll get stuck there and the rest of us won't have to endure them any more. :icon_lol:

58849[/snapback]

;):rolleyes::yes

58859[/snapback]

58862[/snapback]

I adore him, and he can actually sing all of his songs brilliantly live too!!!!!! :blink::)

I like their old stuff, they went through an odd stage, but their latest album has definitely gone back to their more original sound.

58883[/snapback]

agree 100%

perhaps Bono is a bit of a nob but who cares? They can still put out great albums after being in the business for more than 25 years! No-one else has ever had that kind of longevity (no one even close to be honest!)

If I could remove one band from existence in that no one would ever remember them, I'd probably choose U2.

59159[/snapback]

Sorry radioactive boy, U2 are shite but there have been too many other bands that just shouldn't of made it audition stage that singling them out is fanciful.

But I wouldn't be against someone gluing Bono's mouth shut just to stop some of the crap that comes out of it.

Let's all be thankful Bono and Sinead O'Connor didn't bread.

If I could remove one band from existence in that no one would ever remember them, I'd probably choose U2.

59159[/snapback]

Sorry radioactive boy, U2 are shite but there have been too many other bands that just shouldn't of made it audition stage that singling them out is fanciful.

But I wouldn't be against someone gluing Bono's mouth shut just to stop some of the crap that comes out of it.

59179[/snapback]

and produce toast? crumpets? currant buns? :blink:

Seriously ive gotta say it, most of you either have shit taste in music or your're tone deaf!!! :rolleyes:;)

59159[/snapback]

59179[/snapback]

and produce toast? crumpets? currant buns? :blink:

Seriously ive gotta say it, most of you either have shit taste in music or your're tone deaf!!! :rolleyes:;)

59221[/snapback]

Aye aye, who wants a bit of crumpet???

know wat I mean, know wat I mean????

:icon_lol:

Sorry toonraider, I can understand your ginger fetish with Josh because he has consistantly produced good music but U2 haven't written a decent song since the unforgettable fire and even then I think because I was 15 I rated it higher than it deserved.

There are people who've posted in this thread who I know like decent guitar based music so I find it strange that such contempt is shown for a band who have influenced so many of that genre, consistently produced good music for more than 25 years, always toured committedly when other bands give up and as a sidleine have a lead singer who despite being a bit of a wanker "off the pitch" has actually done more "good" in the world in practical terms than anyone on here could ever dream of.

As an aside a hip-hop fan accusing anybody of not being able to sing is one of the most laughable music based comments I've ever read.

There are people who've posted in this thread who I know like decent guitar based music so I find it strange that such contempt is shown for a band who have influenced so many of that genre, consistently produced good music for more than 25 years, always toured committedly when other bands give up and as a sidleine have a lead singer who despite being a bit of a wanker "off the pitch" has actually done more "good" in the world in practical terms than anyone on here could ever dream of.

As an aside a hip-hop fan accusing anybody of not being able to sing is one of the most laughable music based comments I've ever read.

59242[/snapback]

Who and who?

59242[/snapback]

Who and who?

59245[/snapback]

If you mean who I think has generally decent taste then Steve and Alreetlike - I don't know enough about your taste.

As for influenced I'd say most guitar driven rock from the 80s onwards can said to occasionally give nods to U2 - ranging from their early punk based stuff to later flirtations with dance I'd name glancing through my track collection:

Ash, Big Country, Bloc Party, Bush, Coldplay, Deacon Blue, Doves, Elbow, Feeder, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Idlewild, INXS, James, Jet, Jimmy Eat World, Keane, Manics (post Richey), Mercury Rev, Muse, Oasis, Placebo, Pulp, Puressence, Radiohead, Simple Minds, Smashing Pumpkins, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, The Charlatans, The Cure, The Killers, The Verve, Travis.

If you mean who I think has generally decent taste then Steve and Alreetlike - I don't know enough about your taste.

As for influenced I'd say most guitar driven rock from the 80s onwards can said to occasionally give nods to U2 - ranging from their early punk based stuff to later flirtations with dance I'd name glancing through my track collection:

Ash - Possibly but I can't hear it.

Big Country - Were around at the same time and I doubt they were influenced, if you said they were influenced by spandau ballet maybe.

Bloc Party - couldn't answer that.

Bush - no way in hell maybe the Pixies but U2?

Coldplay - possibly but lets be honest they are no great shake themselves, well marketed pap.

Deacon Blue - no idea.

Doves - they would sue you if they saw that comment.

Elbow - you think? I would say these guys got more from echo and the bunnymen, depeche mode and the true greats from the early 80s.

Feeder - possibly but their yet to write anything decent themselves.

Foo Fighters - you are fucking joking here aren't you? Nirvana never hid who their influences were and U2 were not in the same group as killing joke, the melvins.

Green Day - sorry but generally this lot are a joke to the music world. I suppose they share a similarity in that they try to be something their not, green day wish they were a 70s english punk band and U2 want to be floyd.

Idlewild - I'd like to see you tell them that to their faces! They're scottish the land that brought us simple minds, jmc, yatsura and you think they are influenced by U2???

INXS - first formed in Sydney in 1977, yep I can see how they were influenced by U2 - please don't make me laugh.

James - sorry but who cares if she only cums on top?

Jet - that's the want to be the 60s stones Jet? Who come from the same country as Hoodoo Gurus, the lime spiders, the stems, the cassanovas?

Jimmy Eat World - !

Keane - !

Manics (post Richey) - says it all really post Richie.

Mercury Rev - highly doubt it, don't you?

Muse - see mercury rev

Oasis - I'm not touching this one but there are plenty here who will (put your tin hat on boy).

Placebo - only in they both have annoying singers.

Pulp - I'm not jesus but I have the same initials, Bono wishes.

Puressence - see Keane/Jimmy eat world!

Radiohead - :rolleyes: This is the same band that is inspired by sigur ros, the hitchhikers guide and writes some of the best music of our generation.

Simple Minds - I would say the other way around really, wouldn't you now you have thought about it?

Smashing Pumpkins - only in that they both like to play stadiums so they can make lots of money.

Snow Patrol - who?

Stereophonics - yeah got me there. mind you they are both crap.

The Charlatans - What you think U2 influenced the charlatans? I don't remember U2 using a hammond organ with such skill, you sure you don't mean booker t and the mg's?

The Cure - fuck me I've heard it all now! You're trying to say that the man who has written the music for the world's goth population for the last 25 years is inspired by bono? Get a grip.

The Killers - well which 80s band hasn't influenced/been plagerised by the killers? The Verve - whatever.

Travis - more of the proclaimers in these boys than U2.

59255[/snapback]

Edit: After further thought I bet all of the above, with possibily the exception of oasis, would name the velvet underground, the stooges, bowie, mc5 as influences before they even thought about who the fuck U2 are.

Edited by sammynb